Gift with Purchase

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you guys feel about the gift with purchase they commonly offer at cosmetic counters in Department Stores?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I want to buy any clinque stuff I wait until they run their special. However I have lots of lipsticks that I never wear from their free giveaways!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well since I'm allergic to most cosmetics (especially Clinique - broke out in big hive-like bumps when I tried to use it), I'm not particularly interested in them. In the past I've found they usually just give away stuff that nobody will ever use anyway. That may have changed in later years though.

nelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

If I want to buy any clinque stuff I wait until they run their special. However I have lots of lipsticks that I never wear from their free giveaways!!
I agree, I wait to buy perfume until they are having a freebie. I give away the lipsticks that aren't my colors!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those arent freebies...with the costs of perfumes! LOL....Last time I bought some perfume it came with a "free cosmetic bag" and DH just laughed and said something about "thats not free...thats just a throw in for buying that perfume"
MEN!!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by shengmei

How do you guys feel about the gift with purchase they commonly offer at cosmetic counters in Department Stores?
I think the freebies are useless but I take them anyway.

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

I think the freebies are useless but I take them anyway.
Me too! I always try to wait for the promotion if I can, but I often don't use the stuff the give away.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't use a lot of cosmetics, for a number of reasons, but I've always thought of those "freebies" as ripoffs. You're not getting anything for nothing -- they've set the price on the rest of the merchandise to cover the cost of the "freebies" . Given that the stuff isn't cheap, and much of the "freebie" stuff isn't particularly useful, where's the bargain?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Elizabeth Arden has a "buy one get one free' promotion here every year. That's about the only time I buy department store cosmetics.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to wear Clinique and would make sure to buy something during "Bonus Time". I always liked the cute little make up bags they gave away. Once I had a rather large collection of the little trial size items they give away and I put everything together and made a little gift basket for my mom when she wasn't feeling well. She seems to enjoy that stuff.
I wear Mac cosmetics now and they never give anything away for free!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to wear Lancome they always had cool bags they gave away and I love that kind of stuff I don't wear lipstick so I used to give it to my mom.
But I wear Mac & Benefit and they don't give stuff away EVER!!!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

But I wear Mac & Benefit and they don't give stuff away EVER!!!
NEVER!

You know, if you save 6 empty containers of Mac products and turn them in you receive a free lipstick.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

NEVER!

You know, if you save 6 empty containers of Mac products and turn them in you receive a free lipstick.
I would probably lose them before I had enough I hate to tell you how many lip Glass I think it's called I have bought because I lost it I am a scatterbrain!!!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I would probably lose them before I had enough I hate to tell you how many lip Glass I think it's called I have bought because I lost it I am a scatterbrain!!!
I don't do well with the lip glass either. I always buy a new one before the old one is empty and don't want to waste money by throwing it away, so it sits in the basket in my bathroom
I have a small Mac bag under the bathroom sink that I toss my mascara tubes, nail polish bottles, and foundation bottles in. Those items never leave the bathroom, so I manage to keep them there. I actually have collected 6 containers now. It took a long time

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love free with purchase stuff, cosmetics are good, although I don't use them that much. I remember getting a whole bag os free lancome products one time for buying perfume.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, freebies here (even though I know very well that they're still making a tremendous profit despite giving it away).

Besides, if I don't like someone on eBay will!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's all a conspiracy theory to sucker people into buying their stuff! Hehe, but i certainly don't mind taking the free gift if it's something that i regurally purchase anyways. But i wouldn't go up there and buy something i wouldn't normally get just to get a free gift.