New kitten...old cat isn't happy

fuzzywolf2006

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently found a 15 week old male kitten in a box near my local WalMart and brought him home. I don't plan on keeping him forever, just until I can find him a good permanent home. However, my cat Sadie doesn't like him one bit. She constantly hisses at him and shows the normal signs of aggression to the "newcomer" in our house. I am most worried about if she will warm up to him during his time here. When I brought Sadie home when she a kitten two years ago, my mother had a kitten about the same age already at our house, and they didn't like each other for a while but eventually learned to love each other and snuggled together all the time. I'm hoping it will be the same in this situation, but since Sadie is so much older and bigger than the new kitten Wally (not to mention the opposite sex) I'm not sure what to expect. Can anyone help me about what to do?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try putting a little cornstarch baby powder on each one so they smell the same. Females tend to be more resistant to newcomers then another male. They take longer to warm up. I'd let them alone unless they are physically fighting - not just the hissing and occasional swatting at each other.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FuzzyWolf2006

I recently found a 15 week old male kitten in a box near my local WalMart and brought him home. I don't plan on keeping him forever, just until I can find him a good permanent home. However, my cat Sadie doesn't like him one bit. She constantly hisses at him and shows the normal signs of aggression to the "newcomer" in our house. I am most worried about if she will warm up to him during his time here. When I brought Sadie home when she a kitten two years ago, my mother had a kitten about the same age already at our house, and they didn't like each other for a while but eventually learned to love each other and snuggled together all the time. I'm hoping it will be the same in this situation, but since Sadie is so much older and bigger than the new kitten Wally (not to mention the opposite sex) I'm not sure what to expect. Can anyone help me about what to do?
That is a pretty common reaction when new cats are introduced. You can use pure vanilla extract too on them to make them smell the same. I would also make sure the kitten has been tested and vaccinated ebfore introducing him to your cat.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to me that you're going to keep him if you're worried about them making friends

If you don't want to keep him, then I'd find a new home for the little guy immediately. You'd hate for your kitty to fall in love with a new little playmate, then have him ripped away!