Liver Shunt/Low Protein Diets

darincm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The saga continues....

As many of you may already know, Izzy has been diagnosed with a Liver Shunt. He is on a low protien canned food - Hills K/D.

CathyC uses Hills K/D & she definitely knows about Shunts, so for now I am following her reccomendation on food & feeding him Hills - my vet also agrees.

But; in the quest to find the best food for him, I was asking if they had anything while I was at Petsmart. They showed me a can of Hi-Tor NEO Diet which is a low protein (8%) diet. I noticed there are a lot of by products, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this food or any other low protein foods? It is slightly cheaper too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darincm

The saga continues....

As many of you may already know, Izzy has been diagnosed with a Liver Shunt. He is on a low protien canned food - Hills K/D.

CathyC uses Hills K/D & she definitely knows about Shunts, so for now I am following her reccomendation on food & feeding him Hills - my vet also agrees.

But; in the quest to find the best food for him, I was asking if they had anything while I was at Petsmart. They showed me a can of Hi-Tor NEO Diet which is a low protein (8%) diet. I noticed there are a lot of by products, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this food or any other low protein foods? It is slightly cheaper too.
in canned food I would look at 7% and lower to be low protein... 8% would = 32-36% protein and that may be fine if it is highly digestable .... I know dogs with liver issues do best on moderate protein and low fat ... unsure if this is true for cats ..

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know but I think that I would ask for my vet's opinion about this food.

cathyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
darincm, Besides the low protein they also need a low sodium diet. So make sure you look at that too. Royal Canin also has a prescription line for kidney diets that my Scooter does fine with. He doesn't get it often as I have to drive across town to get it and the traffic is a nightmare. Just be careful with the foods you give him as his diet is the key factor in managing this disease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darincm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I may need to find another food - Izzy is turning his nose at the Hills K/D

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darincm

I may need to find another food - Izzy is turning his nose at the Hills K/D
That is quite common... if you can use kidney diets look into Purina the ingrediants are fairly decent and Kandie okayed it

cathyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm lucky with mine in that he will eat anything. I imagine each cat is different in their tolerance so maybe yours can handle what mine can't. K/D has another canned food that has a gold lid that they usually like much better. Where as the regular one (silver lid) is kind of a dryish wet food the other is much more moist. You might want to try that or the canned Purina NF.