Moral Dilemma

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to lie to my boss in order to take Chessy to the vet today. He needs to go because he has been limping (which I posted about under health and nutrition). No one at work is allowed to use leave today because half the office is in training (I went to the training yesterday), and a certain number of people have to be here to cover the phones. They are not legally allowed to deny sick leave, which you can use to care for family members, but pets don't count!
So I will have to tell them that my husband is sick and needs me to drive him to the doctor. I hate lying!

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
mmmm If you have to lie to take your pet to the vet that what you have to do.
It's to bad some people don't understand how important pets are. Thankfully my boss does.
They all know how important my pets are to me since I talk about them all the time.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are doing what you need to do to take care of your baby.. no one is being hurt in the process so please don't feel bad about it. Just tell hubby not to try calling you at work during this time!

I work in a small office and we all have pets. They are treated like our kids, so if one is sick it is completely understood when they have to be taken to the vet. When Brody showed up, I even got away with taking a bit longer at lunch time because I had to go home to let him out (we were house training him). I can't imagine not having that freedom.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I am concerned they are family, so its just a little stretch of the truth saying it is your husband and not the kitties, because really your hubby could go by himself but the kitties can not.

My office is similar to Squirtles, in fact I think they care more about our pets than they do about us sometimes!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is pitiful that you have to lie, people do not understand the importance of animals in our lives. When I worked back in NY, my boss used to say go home and get Bella it's boring here, it was an insurance company and they loved having Bella come there! All bosses should be that way! I'm sorry !

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't feel bad about it. Besides, I'm sure there was a time when the boss/owner told a little white lie and missed a day or 2 of work in their lives.... business goes on, they will get by without you for 1 day. Take care of your baby.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at it this way: a moral dilemma is always about choosing the lesser of two evils - while lying isn't good, it is less bad than neglecting your dependents.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't feel bad. You do what you have to do and it's hard to schedule vet appts after work.

I did that with Luna one time. Her appointment was 3:30 pm and i was going to come in early and leave early. But I said screw it and called in sick (andusually if I call right after I wake up I do sound sick).

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Look at it this way: a moral dilemma is always about choosing the lesser of two evils - while lying isn't good, it is less bad than neglecting your dependents.
I agree that you are exactly right.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You're all right, thank you! I just got back and I feel so much better. I would have been up all night worrying if I had prolonged the vet appointment any longer.

(Chessy is doing fine. The vet thinks he may have pulled a muscle and gave me some anti-inflammatory medicine to give him. Now I have to make sure he takes it easy for a few days.)

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You totally did the right thing.

I hope that Chessy feels better soon <<<<<<healing vibes>>>>>>

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just to add one more thing,

pets can not drive, and do not carry change for a bus so how else would they get there. unless we take them

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
where you hung over?
did you go spend the day in the sun?
is it costing you some moolah?

alright then...you did the okay thing. you took care of your business and did a part of being a responsible pet owner/mommy. taaadaaa, your wonderful.
and so what if your office was left hanging..it wont be the first or last time.

good luck with your kitty I hope it gets better soon.