TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Vegetarians anyone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vegetarians anyone? - Page 2

post #31 of 46
Wouldn't it be easier to say "I don't eat meat"? It seems like a lot of extra explaining to say you're a vegetarian who eats fish, since it's kind of an oxymoron. And if you want to be a vegetarian, why eat fish at all, especially if it is as small of an amount as you say.

I know it would be easier for vegetarians if people didn't think that vegetarians eat fish or chicken, since, well, vegetarians don't eat meat, by definition, and fish and chicken are, in fact, meat.

I specifically said I wasn't attacking you, sorry if you're offended.
post #32 of 46
I am glad this topic was brought up I have a question... My 11 year old daughter wants to stop eating meat. I have NO problems with this however my 9 and 5 year old want me to make something taste and good to see if they want to stop eating meat also lol They love to mimic their big sister. So if any of you don't mind could you send me a recipe of your fave meal so we may try it.
post #33 of 46
I'm a vegetarian. I went on and off last year, but then at the end of last year I made a permenant change. Once I accidentally ate meat when someone said it didn't have any (not anyone's fault, neither of us knew until we went over the ingredients). That was really hard, and the tears came. I care a lot about animals and I try to avoid anything and animal was harmed for. When i don't live with anyone and I can control what comes into the house, I will most likely become vegan.
I've always heard gelatine falls under this category of animal products. I also heard that it has horse hooves???? Can someone clarify for me to what the deal with gelatine is?
post #34 of 46
Gelatin is much grosser than just being hooves.

It's made from a lengthy boiling of animal skin, bones, and connective tissue. The goo resulting is processed further into that fine white powder like Knox or what's in Jello before the flavors and colors.

That is why I consider it meat. And why I won't eat it if I can help it.
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
Gelatin is much grosser than just being hooves.

It's made from a lengthy boiling of animal skin, bones, and connective tissue. The goo resulting is processed further into that fine white powder like Knox or what's in Jello before the flavors and colors.

That is why I consider it meat. And why I won't eat it if I can help it.

Oh, gross. Gross, gross, gross. What's gross is that I had Jell-O the other day! Never will I knowingly have gelatin ever again. Here's what the Betty Crocker site says:

Quote:
An odorless and colorless powder, its thickening power is released when it is mixed with hot liquid. Gelatin is pure protein, processed from beef and veal bones and cartilage or pig skin. Available flavored and sweetened.
IMO, gelatin is sickening.
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
If you eat fish you aren't a vegetarian. Pesco vegetarians are also known as semi-vegetarians. Because fish is meat.

I don't mean to attack you, my sister is the same way, but she just says she doesn't eat meat, and doesn't claim to be a vegetarian. People who call themselves vegetarians and then say "Oh but I eat fish" results in my pet peeve below.

I agree. I stopped eating meat when I was 9 years old, but I never considered myself to be vegetarian because I still ate dairy and products that contained eggs. I'm 56 now and I became vegan about 7 years ago. but I tell people I'm a strict vegetarian. They have so many stupid names for different kinds of "vegetarians". To me, someone is either a vegetarian (no meat or animal products) or their not.

I do feed my cats meat. I don't like it but I don't really have a choice.
post #37 of 46
[quote=Mollysmom;1308966]Oh, gross. Gross, gross, gross. What's gross is that I had Jell-O the other day! Never will I knowingly have gelatin ever again.

You really have to read all the ingredients on products. Some candy and freeze dried nuts contain gelatin. Also, the medicine and vitiamins that come in gel caps are also made from gelatin.
post #38 of 46
Thread Starter 
Yeah, I don't consume gelatin and I go sugar free as much as I can, since sugar requires bone-char.

I am not that concerned with the terminologies, most people would categorize me as vegan, but when asked casually or publicly, I just say vegetarian, because it requires less explanation, people understand it more.

As long as I know I am doing more than my part in reducing animal suffering, people can call me whatever they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
I am not a vegetarian, but I do cook many vegan and vegetarian dishes because I like them. If you are looking for some good recipies, feel free to ask. Just let me know how strict you are, and I can make sure that I don't send you the wrong thing.
Oh lookingglass, will you give me some of your vegan desert recipes?


post #39 of 46
Ewww, gelatin - and it's surprising the things it gets into. I won't eat jello, marshmallows, and some candies because of gelatin. Fortunately there are alternatives to almost everything. There are websites that sell non-gelatin marshmallows, and there's an organic jello made by Horizon that is gelatin free. Starburst from England is made with pectin instead. (I stocked up when I went to London, hehe)

I try not to jump on people who say they are vegetarian when they eat fish because they mean well, and they consume less meat than the average omnivore, but it does cause problems for me. Because of the common misconception about vegetarians eating fish, when I go to a restaurant, I have to say "do you have any vegetarian options, and that doesn't include seafood.." etc.

I appreciate anyone who makes an effort to eat less meat because it does make a difference.
post #40 of 46
I am very careful of the food I buy,I check the Ingredients before i buy anything.
Although I do eat free range eggs I will not eat any animal by products,Including gelatin and animal rennet.

My motto is...If in doubt...leave it out.So i don't buy.

I know there is a well known crisp/poato chip manufacturer out there......the one that uses a famous crying footballer in its ads.....Begins with W.....mr potato head??....
big ears???....thats enough if you don't know by now...i'm not telling

Their packets of cheese and onion crisps say they are suitable for vegetarians.....and yet some packets don't and contain animal rennet.(the insides of a cows gut/stomach)

So I don't TRUST their brand anymore and don't buy ANY of their products!!
post #41 of 46
Well, I just find it easier to say I am a vegetarian, less confusing for people - I dont particularly care what people think. The only reason I eat fish occasionally is because I enjoy it (and it would be even harder to eat wiht my family if I didn't, my mum has no idea what to cook me so falls back on fish every time).
FurryFerals - WAlkers Cheese and Onion are now all suitable - they didn't used to be though, so you could be looking at some of the old packets (if I ever have to buy WAlkers, I do check) - I actually did write to them and complained, and they put me on a mailing list where I got regular lists of all their crisps and snacks with the vegetarian friendly ones highlighted - although after boycotting them for a while over it, I will still choose other brands rather than them.
post #42 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokaasan
I appreciate anyone who makes an effort to eat less meat because it does make a difference.
I agree, every single effort helps.

For some, being vegan may possibly be the extreme of their involvement in animal rights advocacy. For others it is a lifestyle. Those people who are not so picky about animal ingredients, who spend their time furthering the message of veganism to people, are possibly doing more for the animals than others (even if they are not 'extreme' with their definition of the word 'vegan'). Therefore, they should not be under fire from those who are not doing any activism.

Besides, The purpose of being vegan is to reduce animal suffering. You can use whatever label you want. It matters not.

Veganism is not a club that you enter, it is something that is a natural extension of your respect for animals. Do not worry so much how other people do it.

Those people who are not extremists may naturally turn away from veganism
if they are expected to be 'extremist' about it.

Fact is, if you convince them to try being 'extremist,' they might give up on being vegan, out of frustration, since they may simply and naturally not be comfortable being extremist.

The best help you can be to these people is to just be a repected model of a vegan life (this helps with the meateaters' view of vegetarians/vegans, as well). Also, if they are 90% vegan instead of 95% vegan, they're still doing good; so go spend your time with those people who are 0% vegan.


It all depends on how comfortable or ready a person is with the shift from being omnivore to vegetarian/vegan. A long term less strict vegan lifestylehelps. A long term very strict vegan lifestyle helps more. A long term less strict vegan lifestyle coupled with animal rights activism helps even more. A long term very strict vegan lifestyle coupled with animal rights activism
helps most of all. Each individual person finds their natural place in the movement.
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra View Post
Sounds as if we have our own support group
Hey that would be great,with all these 'diet' threads and 'what i have for dinner' threads
I think we need one
post #44 of 46
Very interesting thread Shadow soul, and a lot to think about.
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsoul View Post


As long as I know I am doing more than my part in reducing animal suffering, people can call me whatever they want.

Exactly. I've been a vegetarian for some 17 years now, although I do eat shellfish, clams, scallops and shrimp etc.. My reason in doing this is because I do not see any suffering in a creature so small, now larger fish I do see suffering involved so that is where I draw the line. If anyone wishes to call me other than a vegetarian that's just fine, but I'm happy with what I'm doing to limit the suffering of animals.
post #46 of 46
I'm not vegetarian (yet), but I try not to eat a lot of meat. Since I still live at home, I pretty much eat whatever is made for me, but once I'm on my own, I'll be eating less and less meat.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Vegetarians anyone?