Vegetarians anyone?

shadowsoul

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, just wondering if there are any vegans and/or vegetarians among all of you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowsoul

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great
I thought I stand alone. I am a vegetarian for 1 year and a vegan for 5 months
It's been great so far

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a vegetarian, but I do cook many vegan and vegetarian dishes because I like them. If you are looking for some good recipies, feel free to ask. Just let me know how strict you are, and I can make sure that I don't send you the wrong thing.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Y'know for a minute I thought the thread said ' Vegetarian anon'

I guess I'm still stacked up on painkillers

Yup me too,I have been a veggie since I was 15,If you think you can find out how old I am by that then your ...sadly mistaken

I cannot legitimately say I am vegan,I do not eat any animal that had a mother.
I don't eat any fish or fish eggs,sea food,craps,molluscs,shell fish or anything that comes from the sea.
I don't eat any part or wear any part of dead animals..cows..sheep..oxen..bulls..goats..lambs..dogs ..cats..hamsters ,anything that has breathed air really.

The only reason I am not a vegan is because I eat eggs,Chickens eggs...free range..eggs from a free range farm.
The only reason I still buy them Is because I know the chickens that lay those eggs would lay them anyway and would naturally in the wild 'go to rot'.

nekokaasan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been vegetarian for 5 years, and out of that time I was fully vegan for 2. Over the last 6 months I've slid back into being lacto-ovo veg, even though I still maintain my vegan buying habits - ie: no leather, wool, silk, etc. and cruelty-free products as much as possible - but I hope to get back on the vegan wagon again someday.

I was putting so much pressure on myself to be the perfect vegan, and I had (and still have) a lot of stress in my personal life, and needed to cut myself some slack. When things calm down I'm going to wean myself off the cheese again,heh.

I still use soymilk for everything. After being off milk for two years, I completely lost my taste for it.

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
I've been vegetarian since I was 11 years old (11 years), if I'd had my way I would have been Veggie at the age of 6 but I battled with my Mum for years about it until one day I just said enoughs enough this feels really wrong please respect my feelings! and she did!
I Don't eat meat of any kind, including fish and I don't eat anything with gelatine in it. I do eat eggs occasionally, free range though. If I am ever trying anything new (including new make up) I like to research it first to find out those grotty facts they keep so well hidden.
A few months ago my sister bought a pizza on the way home from a night out, she told me it was cheese and tomato so I took a slice except as soon as I put it in my mouth I could taste the chicken. Man did I cry! I was so disappointed in her for tricking me like that. Im still quite shocked actually because my family know how important it is to me. Plus 'chicken' from a takeaway is probably not even chicken. eeew.

shadowsoul

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get a lot of ideas from http://www.goveg.com. I was a slacker before, can't even turn on the microwave to save my arse
, but when I became vegetarian, I had to learn how to cook

Originally Posted by nekokaasan

I was putting so much pressure on myself to be the perfect vegan, and I had (and still have) a lot of stress in my personal life, and needed to cut myself some slack.
I guess what's important is trying, avoiding if and when can be avoided. I can't just stop taking prescribed animal-tested drugs if I am terribly sick
, but those things I can control, I avoid, cosmetics, bath and body products, clothing, accessory, I do my best to be not just a dietary vegan

Originally Posted by furryferals

Yup me too,I have been a veggie since I was 15,If you think you can find out how old I am by that then your ...sadly mistaken
I'll remember that

Hey lookingglass, I'm struggling to work on vegan deserts, ice cream and cakes

shadowsoul

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pombina

A few months ago my sister bought a pizza on the way home from a night out, she told me it was cheese and tomato so I took a slice except as soon as I put it in my mouth I could taste the chicken. Man did I cry! I was so disappointed in her for tricking me like that. Im still quite shocked actually because my family know how important it is to me. Plus 'chicken' from a takeaway is probably not even chicken. eeew.
Oh no, I get that from restaurants, I get served "spiked" meals, so that's why I reaally gotta learn to cook my own food

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I eat meat and I enjoy meat and to me it's delicious.....but my younger sister has been a vegetarian since she was 13 or so. I respect her choice and she respects mine, which is great cuz I don't want every meal to be a debate.

As far as "spiked" foods go, one time I had ordered pizza and put the left overs in the fridge. She came home and inspected a slice, could find no meat, and wandered down to my room eating it (in truth, she was just finishing the crust by the time I saw her). Now, I know that pizza had meat on it, but I also know that she apparently didn't taste it, so I didn't bother to mention it. I mean, why upset her for something she's already finished? If I had caught her earlier, I would have told her, though. And I'd never intentionally add meat to her food.......though she still believes I put an earwig in her ice cream when I was 9. lol

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I am mostly vegetarian. Usually, the rule is, I only eat meat if someone else is cooking. And since I live alone... that means not very often!

For me it's not primarily out of concern for animal rights but mostly for environmental reason. The meat industry does cause a lot of pollution.
I've also been cutting back milk (I now use it only for baking) but I still eat cheese and eggs a lot. I've often considered getting free range eggs, but there's one thing about it that really bugs me... why is it always packaged in plastic containers?? Couldn't they do like with the regular eggs I buy and package them in recycled (and recyclable) cardboard?

One thing that really helps me become more "vegan" is that at the university, during the school year, I can get a free vegan lunch every day. And it's always so yummy!

Gotta love those progressive leftist schools!

shadowsoul

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I take it as a perk that I live alone, I am forced to cook lol, but there are really good restaurants here in Singapore. Although my workplace opses a challenge on my vegan diet

Leli, I agree that respect is always the best way, I became vegetarian, then vegan, mainly because of animal welfare. I also hope to inform people around me, but being aggressive, rather combative, will do more harm than good as far as informing them is concerned. I always thought of politely informing, not pontificating trying-to-convert-the-world way.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been veggie in one form or another since I was 15. I have vegan buying habits as well, but I eat lacto-ovo about half the time and vegan the other half. I had a very similar situation to nekokaasan.

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a vegetarian. Veal is the only meat I will not eat. However, I would most likely be one if I had to kill and dress the animals myself.

eagleeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Although I'm not a vegetarian per se, I haven't eaten anything mammalian (cow, pig, lamb, rabbit, or deer) for 17 or so years. Red meat began to bother my digestion in my late teens -- and then I met my aunt's cow, Freckles. She was so personable and cute that I decided I'd never eat beef again

The way commericial food animals in the US are treated, contained, pumped full of antibiotics/hormones, and then slaughtered greatly disturbs me.

My consumption of fish and poultry is limited to once or twice a week, with the occasional free range egg. So most days I'm eating a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet. When I prepare chicken at home, I always buy free range. The yogurt and milk I eat comes from organic sources.