Kittens and Flea Collars

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have read on here that flea collars are very harmful to young kittens. My babies are now 17 days old. Mom has been joining the rest of the animals for playtime, the kits are in the nest but getting around fairly well. We now leave the bedroom door open when we are in there so the other cats and dogs have come in to look and see what all the excitement is about!
To get to my question---right now the others don't have flea collars on but it will be time for them soon (flea season here) and I am wondering about the interaction with the babies. Right now they are confined but soon will be in a bit more contact with the rest of the animals here. Should I try a different way to ward off fleas instead of the collars? Understand the BABIES won't be wearing collars, the other animals will.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flea collars are harmful to all cats, and can also be a waste of time so personally I would go wiht topical flea treatments like Frontline or Advantage.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO flea collars are a big waste of money. There are more effective treatments. If the kittens are inside and not let out, and you have no fleas, why do you even want to use collars on the kittens.

I'd use something like Advantage where you put drops on the cats. But you'd have to check on the minimum age. Treat the flea problem, then you won't have to worry about the cats.

None of my cats (even the barn ones) had fleas on them and none wore collars or had flea preventative. Even the dog doesn't have them - tho she gets BioSpot flea/tick preventative once a month on her coat.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mowsluver

I have read on here that flea collars are very harmful to young kittens. My babies are now 17 days old. Mom has been joining the rest of the animals for playtime, the kits are in the nest but getting around fairly well. We now leave the bedroom door open when we are in there so the other cats and dogs have come in to look and see what all the excitement is about!
To get to my question---right now the others don't have flea collars on but it will be time for them soon (flea season here) and I am wondering about the interaction with the babies. Right now they are confined but soon will be in a bit more contact with the rest of the animals here. Should I try a different way to ward off fleas instead of the collars? Understand the BABIES won't be wearing collars, the other animals will.
My concern about allowing your other cats/dogs to have access to the nest is as follows:

Fleas are a major concern as kittens can fade quickly under a flea infestation. You need to talk to your vet about using a topical solution on the other cats (but also check to see how soon after the topical solution is applied can they be around the kittens). Your kittens still are developing their immune systems and I would really encourage you to limit their exposure to the other animals...especially if the other animals are allowed inside/outside. While your other cats may have received all their shots..it doesn't protect the kittens...so just be cautious.

Also...it is very vital right now to make sure that mom has no ability to become pregnant again.

Katie