How do I feed in this situation?

coastal1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, new friends
We have two cats, both shelter rescues... first cat arrived 2.5 yrs ago, second cat last month. Our first cat (age 3-ish) lived as an only-cat with us for her first 2.5 yrs with us and we measured her food and left it for her throughout the day. Well, now that our new furbaby (age 4-7) has arrived we are running into major problems when it comes to feeding. Both are strictly indoor, btw. The new kitty eats incessantly!.... she was a stray for her life as far as we know, so I'm sure food was hard to come by. So if there is food out, she'll eat it. Even when she is napping, if the other cat goes to eat, she has to get up and eat right afterward. I'm not sure how to work this feeding schedule. I started out measuring and letting them eat, but our other cat never could get a full meal. The problem is that we're trying to get weight OFF of her! I have been leaving it out in a continuous feeder in the hopes that once the new kitty realized that food was readily available, she would slow down with the intake, but I am beginning to think that she just has a huge appetite (and a HUGE thirst, too.... tested for diabetes, that's not it).

So how should I work their feeding schedule? Is there anything I can do so that they each eat a measured amount of food each? Should I just seperate them in the morning and feed them in seperate rooms? I don't know if they'd realize that that was it... no grazing!

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PawPrinter

So how should I work their feeding schedule? Is there anything I can do so that they each eat a measured amount of food each? Should I just seperate them in the morning and feed them in seperate rooms? I don't know if they'd realize that that was it... no grazing!
My guess would be to feed them in separate rooms the same way you8 always fed your first catt. Then it would already be a familiar schedule to her.

If you would like to leave a bit of food out through the day then maybe get a treat ball and load it up so whoever goes after the food at least has to do some exersize to get it.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The treat ball is a great idea! I would recommend scheduled mealtimes for your girls with each getting age appropriate food when you can monitor each to ensure she's eating her own meal. Sierra and Serenity require careful monitoring during mealtimes, as well, or else Serenity will finish off her own meal then head over to eat Sierra's, too. Or sometimes, they play "switch dishes". They'll be eating the same food but decide it's surely more tasty from the other dish and switch off.
You may want to have an extra meal for your ravenous kitten. While she eats would be a great opportunity to have a special interactive play time with your other little girl!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you mentioned that the new kitty seems to be very hungry and very thirsty, has she been tested for hyperthyroidism?

Other than that, meal feeding will likely be necessary. My boyfriends' parent have a cat who was found as a tiny half-starved kitten. She is now three or four years old and weighs at least 17 pounds. I don't think they ever really get over having gone hungry, and they will eat whenever possible.

If they get along well enough, you may not even need to feed them in separate rooms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coastal1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks to you all for your input!! If I begin feeding them in separate rooms at a designated time, how long should it take for them to understand that they have a specified time to eat? I don't want them to think we're starving them.