Need advice

mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone -

Last week I posted a thread on my cats behavior. I brought my cat, Angel, to the vet last Sunday morning because of constipation, vomiting diarrhea. It was a vet hospital I had never been to before. I waited 20 min. before being brought in the treatment room where I waited 2 hours before the vet came in. She told me she thought he could have a bladder infection or digestion problems and would have to take x-rays. Came back, told me it was a blockage of poop and needed to give him an enema and would I be able to come back for him in 4 hours.

When I picked him up I was not able to see the vet because she was the only one on staff and had 2 emergencies. There were two other people there that had already been waiting in the treatment rooms for an hour and a half. I told them I preferred not to wait, all I wanted to do was bring my Angel home and comfort him. I paid the bill ($300) and asked for the vet to please give me a call when she got done. When I got home Angel was pretty bad, I thought he was exhausted but realized he was lethargic (for 2 days) and e-mailed the vet hospital with all my questions and concerns.

By Wednesday I was at my wits end, Angel hadn't eaten but maybe 4 tsp. of food, and had been straining to go to the bathroom. Between working, checking websites, and discussing my problem with everyone I could, I finally sat down and wrote to the vet. tellilng her how upset I was with the service and I ddn't believe he got the treatment and care he should have, Angel was still sick and I wanted my money back because I would need to go to another vet. She called me on Thursday and apologized, she sent me an e-mail on Monday nite but must've sent it to the wrong e-mail, it wasn't up to her about giving me my money back but she would talk to that person. As of today I have not heard from her. I must mention that the reasons I went to this hospital was their website but was nothing like that when I went.

On Friday, Angel was vomiting and straining again. I called a different vet hospital this time. What a difference! The vet (one of many) spoke to me 4 times during my 3 hour wait. Explaining everything that was going on, what he was doing, what he detected in the examination (a heart murmur). He took x-rays and said he he had a blockage and needed to give him an enema, nothing much came out so he asked to sedate Angel because he was so stressed and gave him another enema which he had to help assist out. He took another x-ray to make sure everything was out. They wrapped him in a towel and brought him out even tho' we brought him in a carrier. When the vet came out with the bill, he had a sheet with all angels personal info. What treatment needed to be done at home and what to be concerned about. Angel never went lethargic, was very alert, used the liter, and ate all in the first hour back home. He's been getting better everyday and looks like a new cat. Even the other cats responed differently to him this time around.

I need advice on what I should do about this first vet. Has anyone ever experienced vet care like that?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start making some phone calls, probably to the BBB and whatever body your state requires veterinary hospitals to be licensed through.

Send the hospital a registered letter with your complaints.
Photocopy all the records you have, every bit of the paper trail, and print off all emails you have recieved.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I would start making some phone calls, probably to the BBB and whatever body your state requires veterinary hospitals to be licensed through.

Send the hospital a registered letter with your complaints.
Photocopy all the records you have, every bit of the paper trail, and print off all emails you have recieved.
Yea!

I recently had something similar, but NOTHING like your experience. No vet should be without at least a receptionist to handle everything (or another vet tech). That's poor planning.

Definitely start off looking for the place that licenses vets and make a complaint. I would also make a copy of that complaint to that vet. Then go to the BBB.

Good luck!