Crate Training?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we've never had to crate train a puppy, but I think we're going to have to with this one. He's not quite getting the pooping outside part, so I need to crate him at night. First of all, how big should the crate be? We have a few pet taxis - he's 11 pounds, and 3 months old. And any other tips? I assume I will have a couple of nights waking up in the middle of the night, but that's ok. Thanks! Kim.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use a crate that is just big enough for the dog to stand, turn around, and lie down comfortably.

I always use a favorite toy that they never get at any other time than in the crate. For my current dog, that toy is a Kong stuff with peanut butter and then frozen for an hour or so.
Make sure getting in the crate is always a positive experience.

Keep a potty schedule.

Outside before meals, outside after meals, first thing in the morning, first thing before crating for the evening, etc.

Good luck

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, you can get an adult sized crate and put a divider in it (you don't want the crate too big as he will potty in one end and sleep in the other).
This way, you don't have to buy two crates for when he gets too big.

Here's a great puppy routine and some tips (scroll down for the sample schedule)
http://www.puppyperfect.com/housebreaking.htm
(most common times for pup to eliminate is after eating/drinking/playing).

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Crating is not so bad. Actually dogs usually come to love their crates. It is there place and it is a place they will go if they are scared or whatever.
Like everyone else said it is good to get a crate that is just big enough for them to stand up turn around and lay down in.
Anyway good luck with you dog.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Krazycatlover

Crating is not so bad. Actually dogs usually come to love their crates. It is there place and it is a place they will go if they are scared or whatever.
Like everyone else said it is good to get a crate that is just big enough for them to stand up turn around and lay down in.
Anyway good luck with you dog.
I put the crate out for him last night with a nice warm blankie. He pulled out the blankie and laid on it in front of the crate. He actually sleeps in my walk in closet, and he did really good last night. I took him right outside when I got up and he did #1, but no #2. I waited for like 1/2 hour & he didn't so I had to go take my shower. My hubby let him in while I was showering and he went right into the living room and did #2. We'll get there! LOL

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember that during housebreaking, he should be supervised outside at all times. This is key in terms of him connecting him going outside and good things (treats/praise).

So, when you take him out, use a key word like "be quick" or "go potty" so he cues that word with what you want. No playing at this time or getting him excited. Simply take him out and if he doesn't go in ten minutes or so, back inside. When he goes back inside, feed him and you can't be with him (when having a shower for example), then he should go in the crate.

Then take him outside after that half hour or so until he does go..
Treat him or praise like mad. Have a party so he knows that going potty is a GOOD thing!!

But at this stage, if you aren't there to supervise, then crate (or you can also tether him with a lead to your belt loop)...

It takes patience but you will get there!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of dog? I agree on getting an adult size (for whatever the breed is) crate and putting a divider in it till the dog gets bigger.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

What kind of dog? I agree on getting an adult size (for whatever the breed is) crate and putting a divider in it till the dog gets bigger.
Well, we were told he was a lab, but he isn't. We think a Border Collie. He weighs about 11 pounds, and is about 3 months old.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically, he would be a mix though. Purebred BC's don't look exactly like your pup and they have drop tip ears always.

I've had a BC and I think now that the perfect mix would be a BC/Newf or St. Bernard mix.
hahaha. The agility and brains and the lazy, loping way of the other two..

That was a joke not an endorsement of BYB'ing or designer breeding!!

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
also expect a lot of hwineing while it gets used to being in the crate and never let it out while its crying wait until it quiets down or they think if they bark or cry they will get out,

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

Technically, he would be a mix though. Purebred BC's don't look exactly like your pup and they have drop tip ears always.

I've had a BC and I think now that the perfect mix would be a BC/Newf or St. Bernard mix.
hahaha. The agility and brains and the lazy, loping way of the other two..

That was a joke not an endorsement of BYB'ing or designer breeding!!
Funny! Actually I'll have to post a photo when I get done being lazy. His ear tips are starting to drop.