The Dog Whisperer

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is anyone else obssesed with this show on the National Geographic Channel? I don't even have a dog and yet I'm hooked on this show... Its interesting to see the situations people find themselves in. He is just SO good with canine behavior and can fix things so quickly.

Does anyone know the celebrity that houses his dog there when he is on tour? I can't remember who it is and my husband is curious.

silverpawz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I watch it. Sometimes I think he's brillant...and sometimes I think he's full of it.

He does a great job of teaching people that leadership and exercise are very important for a well mannered dog.

But (there's always a but), he uses a TON of flooding and although I'm not opposed to flooding in the right circumstances, I don't think that half the dogs he's used it on needed it in the first place. Flooding is tricky business and can sometimes make the problem worse. Sometimes it can yeild great results too though. But it's not for every situation.

I also don't agree with his approach that EVERY dog is out to rule the world. Some of the fearful dogs he's worked with are just that, fearful, they aren't thinking about clawing their way to the top of the ranks. Is strong leadership important with ever dog? Yes. But he views all dogs as "alpha wannabes' no matter what the problem is and I think that can often make him use more force than needed.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a purely positive trainer. I use rewards and appropriate corrections if needed. But I don't agree with his my way or the highway approach especially when it comes to aggression. There is no quick fix in that area. And that's been proven on his show when he's 'fixed' a dog only to get bitten later at a follow up.

Like I said, sometimes he makes very good points and has great advice for the owners. Othertimes I can't help but flip the channel.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have watched it ... Most of his stuff is good but some of it leaves me shaking my head...

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Silverpaws and Sharky in that much of his stuff is either common sense or that he tends to use the same solution for every problem...
Though he's an adequate trainer (I wouldn't call him brilliant), I think much of it is staged and or hyped up. He's mainly a product.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I disliked this guy before I even saw the program.

I refuse to watch or even listen to any advise from him.

He is more into physical training.. not what I am into at all. It is quite easy to train a dog on simple positive reinforcement.. instead of doing something phsyically to the dog.

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've watched it and I think he's pretty decent. I don't have a dog, though, so I'm not one to pass judgement on him.

My dad LOVES the show. He's got his own pool cleaning business and he's run into a few dogs in people's yards. This one was out of control and he did something he saw on the show and the lady was SO impressed, she said she should be paying him for his pool AND dog services, lol! He cracks me up.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is flooding ?

I LOVE Ceasar

He is am awesome trainer IMO

Yeah, who watches all those dogs at the center, when he is away?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was thinking about running and hiding when I realized this would be a contraversial topic

I think flooding (correct me if I'm wrong) is putting the dog into a situation where the negative behavior happens until the behavior is altered/supressed.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

Good I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was thinking about running and hiding when I realized this would be a contraversial topic

I think flooding (correct me if I'm wrong) is putting the dog into a situation where the negative behavior happens until the behavior is altered/supressed.
Yeah, this is a BIG arguement on the dog forum I am on. Alot of people bring up the point that has been stated here, about flooding I guess(now that I know what it means). But my arguement is he is'nt hurting the dogs- he's teaching them how to behave. Most of the dogs that appear on the show are on their last stand- their owners are about to give up on them until Ceasar steps in. Most of these dogs have been to training classes and been evaluated by "professionals". Too many people treat their dogs like their children, which leads to the behavior in the first place. Ceasar is all about showing them their "place" as DOGS! Not human members of the family.

I watch the show almost faithfully
I admire him very much- there have been times I have cried because he saved a dog from being PTS. Dogs that have been recommended by their own vets to be put down. He is amazing in my book. I have applied some of his methods to Willy with WONDERFUL!!!!!!! results
he no longer pulls on the leash

Thank you for explaining flooding--- although I would call it simply training