Cat Trees And Cluelessness

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i just think it is so odd that out of my three cats, the youngest and newest is the only one who has figured out what the cat tree is for! she is only 9 weeks old, we ve had her for 2 days, today is the first day shes had the run of the house and shes already climbing and playing on it. the other two just ignore it

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, sometimes only one cat will claim a toy.

I don't know if that's the case with cat trees.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took Phenom a few days before she decide the cat tree was good enough for her. Phantom on the other hand saw it coming and immediately jumped on it and started playing.

beatrix426

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Zoe was the first cat we got and of course we bought her a nice cat tree because she's spoiled lol. Well she used it for awhile but then she decided she liked our computer chairs better to sleep in and she didn't play in it much. Well we recently got Cosmo and he deff loves to play in it. He hangs out the top and scratches the little post and then we have his toy "mr. squirril" poke in and out of the holes so he chases him hehe. So maybe the kittens are more into the cat tree and the older cats are just thinking "I'm so over this" lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the other two are kittens as well, although older. 9 months and 5 months, maybe that is old enough to be past using it. it actually belongs to the 5 month old and i was told he used it in his former home.

well it belongs to the little one now hehe.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More than one cat should be able to play with the tree. My neighbours have three and they take turns playing 'king' or 'queen' of the hill on the perch.
My Gizmo just got her first cat tree and I had to introduce her to it and say "this is yours".
(She understands the words "yours' and "mine". Gizmo is very, very smart.)

Now that she has the cat tree she is less likely to climb on my desk or computer chair, and she can still keep an eye on me while I work.

I think that your other cats probably are ignoring the kitten, not the tree. Chances are that as she grows they'll climb the tree just to take her down a few pegs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

More than one cat should be able to play with the tree. My neighbours have three and they take turns playing 'king' or 'queen' of the hill on the perch.
My Gizmo just got her first cat tree and I had to introduce her to it and say "this is yours".
(She understands the words "yours' and "mine". Gizmo is very, very smart.)

Now that she has the cat tree she is less likely to climb on my desk or computer chair, and she can still keep an eye on me while I work.

I think that your other cats probably are ignoring the kitten, not the tree. Chances are that as she grows they'll climb the tree just to take her down a few pegs.
but ive had the other 2 cats longer and they ignored the tree before i even got the kitten hehe. the boy cat plays with the kitten a lot. it took him a couple days to get used to her but they re having fun now. my girl cat still doesnt like her.