do i have diabetes?

kittyprincess

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so today while i was at work i started to feel weird, i started shaking really bad and my upper body was tingling and i was feeling like i was going to faint, when i went on my breaking i was texting my boyfriend and i was shaking so bad that i kept pushing the wrong letter. i went in after my break and decided to get a package of m&m's i ate those and started to feel better. My bf picked me up and we went to his moms to talk about how i was feeling and she said that i sounded like her husband when he first started having symptoms of diabetes
so she took my sugar count and priked my finger
it was 66 and she said that was low and also if i had m&ms then that means it was lower earlier i was just curious if any body here has diabetes and can give me there experiences or anything...... i am calling doctor to make appt. tomorrow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyprincess

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i also believe diabetes runs in my family................................

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many times do you get up during the night to pee? If its more than once, then that's also a sign for diabetes.

Also, how long had it been since you ate? If so, what was it that you ate last to this incident?
If your body doesn't get enough carbs in the first place (i.e. pasta, etc) and then you prolong the period between these two meals, then that's not diabetes, its just a need of carbs. Or if say it were breakfast and you had a couple of poptarts, those breakfast bars or Nurtigrain and that's it, you could've had a "sugar crash". Meaning you ate so much "junk sugar" that your system processed it quicker than you thought and dropped your blood-sugar level.

You could also by hypoglycemic, which is the opposite of diabetes: you need more carbs on a daily basis then most people.

If this is a common thing for you then definitely see a doctor. If this is the first time, watch what you eat and then see if it happens again.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds more like hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) to me. The only way to be sure, is to have a glucose tolerance test.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittyprincess

i also believe diabetes runs in my family................................
Get it checked out, but don't fret - as Luna'smom said, there are other things it could be.

Even if it is diabetes, try to keep it in perspective - obviously that's not good news, but it is managable.

Sending 'let it be nothing' vibes.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
66 sounds pretty high to me, but you may count it differently in the US. Here a count of 5 to 8 is normal. My grandson has Type 1 diabetes (juvenile - insulin dependent) and when his count gets into the 20s & 30s it's dangerous! I would make an appointment with my doctor right away if I were you. Better to be safe than sorry! Low blood sugar could be mean diabetes but it could also mean hypoglycemia - this usually means the shakes when blood sugar gets too low! I suffered from that when I was pregnant with my daughter - in fact I scared the nurses when I was in the hospital after having her! Once they got me stablized, they likened it to a "Big Mac attack" and said my blood sugar had gotten dangerously low and if I got the shakes again to have a glass of orange juice with so much sugar in it that you could stand a spoon up in it. That has worked since!

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
66 in the usa is on the low side.Had you not eaten or skipped a meal? Sounds more like hypoglycemia to me then diabetics. Diabetic symptoms are usally extreme thirst drink and drink and your still thirsty dry mouth and tongue. exccesive urinating, blurred vision ,extremely tired sweet smelling breath. If you skipped a meal or hadn't eaten for hours then it sounds like you need to eat regulary and not skip meals. If this keeps up I would go see your doc. Just to be safe

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

66 sounds pretty high to me, but you may count it differently in the US. Here a count of 5 to 8 is normal. My grandson has Type 1 diabetes (juvenile - insulin dependent) and when his count gets into the 20s & 30s it's dangerous! I would make an appointment with my doctor right away if I were you. Better to be safe than sorry! Low blood sugar could be mean diabetes but it could also mean hypoglycemia - this usually means the shakes when blood sugar gets too low! I suffered from that when I was pregnant with my daughter - in fact I scared the nurses when I was in the hospital after having her! Once they got me stablized, they likened it to a "Big Mac attack" and said my blood sugar had gotten dangerously low and if I got the shakes again to have a glass of orange juice with so much sugar in it that you could stand a spoon up in it. That has worked since!
Yes, the US must measure differently. We consider "good blood sugar" to be anywhere from 80-120. 66 is a lower normal, but anything under 50 is a scary number.
We may have it higher only because we're the sugar/carb leaders (or so it seems some days!)
Or just a different scale (C vs. F, grams v. oz, etc)

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You definitely need to see a doc. Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is not really the opposite of diabetes...it is still a matter of your body not being able to maintain its blood sugar level.

No more sweets until you see the doc...they are more likely to make the blood sugar swing.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One more thing to:

Are you eating a lot but losing weight or not gaining at all? When B was officially diagnosed with diabetes 3 years ago, he said he would be eating 2 whole meals from restaraunts, but not gain a pound.

He also said that he would throw up from eating too much carbs. When he was in the army he would spend everyday throwing up because all they feed the soldiers are carbs (since they run 12 miles or more a day).

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

66 sounds pretty high to me, but you may count it differently in the US!
Here 80-120 is normal blood surger, 66 is to low and will cause the problems she was having when my blood surger drops below 65 i start to shake and water starts to pour off of me,

oops learn to read other posts before posting..
but sound likes hypoglycemia as others have already said,,

i have type2 and keep in under contriol with diet, and sometimes have to take pills but not often. my sister is hypoglycemia, and yes it runs in my family also. every member of my mother family has it.

if you start to fill that way again, eat some real food glass of real juice , a small amount, no candy.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

Sounds more like hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) to me. The only way to be sure, is to have a glucose tolerance test.
my mom was diagnosed with Diabetes in 2001. It's not that serious but you have to watch your blood sugar levels like a hawk. I hope you don't have diabetes, but I would get checked out if you think you have diabetes!

kittyprincess

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

You definitely need to see a doc.Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is not really the opposite of diabetes...it is still a matter of your body not being able to maintain its blood sugar level.

No more sweets until you see the doc...they are more likely to make the blood sugar swing.
Hypoglycemia- my aunt has that. yes i skipped a mean but that isnt nothing new, before i did experience something similar but with out the shakes and my legs where tingling, but yea i am calling the docs office tomorrow, since i ate and stuff i am feeling alot better!!!!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It certainly sounds like some of my experiences with low blood sugar. Dizziness, shakiness, sweating, sometimes nausea. I find if I wait too long between meals, or eat sugar (like candy, or even fruit) on a totally empty stomach, that is when it happens. In my experience, doctors really don't like to "diagnose" hypoglycemia, although, that could just be me. I find it's best to eat small protein snacks at regular intervals.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't freak out until you have had the proper tests! I just had a battery of diabetes tests done last week. Thankfully i'm not- but all of my symptoms pointed that way and i too have a family history of diabetes...things are not always what they seem. So don't freak out until you go see a doctor
....It could be a number of things...stress, vertigo, low blood pressure from not eating...you name it! But don't try to spend all of your time worrying about it sweetie- you will drive yourself crazy. It's much better to just have a few tests and see a doctor for a firm diagnosis...then you will be able to rest your mind and know for certain. (also, i had almost all of the symptoms of diabetes and wound up not being diabetic or even borderline diabetic ...constantly tired- even with a full nights rest, dry mouth, sweating,frequent urination, frequent drinking, dizzy spells, weight gain/loss, constant hunger...and it wound up not being diabetes)...i never got a diagnosis as to what was causing those symptoms in me, but i did get a diagnosis that it wasn't diabetes. So go see a doctor and see what they say, in the mean time try not to stress too much
I'm keeping you in my prayers.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

yes i skipped a mean but that isnt nothing new, before i did experience something similar but with out the shakes and my legs where tingling, but yea i am calling the docs office tomorrow, since i ate and stuff i am feeling alot better!!!!!
I take it you meant "Skipped a meal" instead of "mean". Even if its nothing new, our bodies still will fight against it. We need food for energy and growth. Your body might have been giving you a warning sign. skipping meals can eventually lead to health issues such as diabetes or hypoglycemia. For example, if your body does eventually adjust to the lower blood sugar and your pancreas stops working because there isn't enough carbs for it to process daily, then you could develope diabetes.

Just be careful and good luck at the doctor's!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hypoglycemia- my aunt has that. yes i skipped a mean but that isnt nothing new, before i did experience something similar but with out the shakes and my legs where tingling, but yea i am calling the docs office tomorrow, since i ate and stuff i am feeling alot better!!!!!
I have hypoglycemia. You really can't skip meals with it. I ALWAYS make sure that I have some hard candy with me(Cream savers,etc.)When I do skip a meal, my body shuts down. I get really bad headaches and shake so bad sometimes that I can't stand, I get dizzy, stuff like that. I would get it checked my a doctor just to make sure but that is what it sounds like. And my blood sugar is normally really low and has been. I really have to check it. Good luck!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom has always had hypoglycemia and now has diabetes but growing up I was very familiar with how my body worked becaue of how I saw her respond to things. What you experienced was a suger low. Your blood sugar did drop, does that mean you have diabetes? Well good to have it checked but these things can happen to anyone. I get shaky and crave something sweet (sugar, fruit, whatever, any type of food usually helps) probably once a month or so. It also makes me really upset and testy with people until I eat. If I miss a meal then this is more likely to happen. My blood sugar has always tested normal but sugar lows can happen and now you know what your body feels like and what you need to do when it does this.

My mother is on insulin now. And on my dad's side of the family all the woman have diabetes or diabetes while pregnant. So I think if its in your family then you have some early warning signs. I don't take what happens to me lightly but I know that normally my blood sugar is fine, it just drops once and a while.

kittyprincess

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i called the docs office and they told me to call back next week b/c their schedules are screwed up but she said i wouldnt be able to get an appt. till the middle of sept.