I don't know what's wrong with him!

tizzyz_mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I am posting this for my friend. She has a 6 month old male kitten who is not eating. He has a VERY healthy appetite and 2 days ago he had diarrhea and since last night he has been picking his food. She has tried feeding him several times and offered different foods but he wont eat it. The most he has eaten is 2 chunks of the food. He is not drinking much either and he is usually always drinking and then going to his litter tray to do his buisness. But she hasn't noticed him using his litter tray today either. He seems tired and does not have any other symptoms apart from these. She checked him tummy while he was sitting up and he suddenly layed down like he didn't want her to check it. She also checked his ears and he put one of his ears flat against his head. He's also acting grumpy and has been growling at the dogs. He loves the dogs so we dont know what is wrong with him. Please help.

How long can he go without food? He usually eats and drinks everything in sight. What could be wrong with him? He has not had diarrhea since 2 days ago. Should she take him to the vet? She's very worried about him.

Thanks

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She needs to take him to the vet pronto! Ask the vet to do a fecal and blood work on him. From personal experience this weekend, I found out that one of the symptoms of heart problems in kittens is diarrhea and picky appetite. I didn't know that.

With kittens you have to act promptly. I do hope your friend does take him in. Diarrhea can be anything from parasites to food allergies to disease.

blue ash

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes she needs to take him to a vet.
Not eating, constant visits to the litter box, excess water consumption and lethargy are all signs that warrant a vet trip today!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tizzyz_mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey,

He hasn't been to the toliet in 24hours. She has rang PDSA up for advice and waiting for a call back. I rang a vet too and they said it sounds like a tummy bug.

~alfie~

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone.

Thank you loads for doing the post for me Tizzy. I can finally post now.

I have finally got a call back from the vet, I did some preliminary checks on my little guy and the vet says it is nothing serious but I need to bring him in tomorrow. She said it could be cat flu and for me to keep a eye on him. I'll take him to bed with me tonight and sit up with him to be extra sure. If anything new arises I'm straight on the phone to the vet again.

Thank you all for your help.

~alfie~

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I just noticed someone thought he had been to the toilet quite a lot.

This is his symptoms:

* Sleeping and doesn't seem himself.

* He is not eating or drinking.

* He picked at 2 chuncks of whiskers cat food this evening at that is all.

* He hasn't been to his litter tray in 24hours.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ~Alfie~

Sorry I just noticed someone thought he had been to the toilet quite a lot.

This is his symptoms:

* Sleeping and doesn't seem himself.

* He is not eating or drinking.

* He picked at 2 chuncks of whiskers cat food this evening at that is all.

* He hasn't been to his litter tray in 24hours.
Your first instinct was right: he needs a vet visit. Not eating can cause a cat to have liver failure.

If your regular vet doesn't think so, I highly recommend seeking a second opinion from another vet at another practice. To be frank, I'd ring now and get an ER vet appointment.

Good luck.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds sort of like my little guy who just went to the vet today after he stopped eating wet food on Aug 11.

I took stool samples in and the vet did a sample on him and diagnosis is "bacteria." Treatment is Albon Liquid twice a day until he takes it all. Plus, he is supposed to be eating a special liquid diet, which he won't touch. He just wants dry fooD, and not very much.

He also needed an injection of sub q fluid, since he got quite dehydrated and rapidly.

Don't take any chances on your little one. Best to you~~