Meow Mix wet food

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are people's views on the Meow Mix food? I was feeding another brand (can't remember what it's called now...), but Lily wasn't too excited by it. So last time I was at the shops I saw the Meow Mix, and remembered people talking about feeding it to their cats, so got some of that.

Lily likes the Meow Mix so much more than the other stuff, but I don't like that all of the non seafood types have seafod as their main ingredient!

Is that only a problem if they have a seafood allergy?

Also, I got the "cups" and I give her one cup in the morning and one at night. We separate the cats so Lily has as much as she wants, and she eats maybe half of it, then Stumpy gets the rest.

Is the equivalent of one Meow Mix cup plus some dry food enough for a growing kitten? There's no way she'd eat the amount of the recommendation on the pack! I have no idea how much dry food she eats because we have the 2 cats, but Lily doesn't seem to be a huge eater.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meow Mix wet and Natural Life wet is what I feed Ping. He loves it and I love it. From what I have read here this seems to be a pretty good food for cats.

Oh and I feed the same as you. Wet in the moring (about 1/2 to a whole pounch depends) the dry during the day, then wet again at night.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harley & Davidson get the meow mix wet as well, and they both love it. I get the cups and the pouches, just to mix up the rotation a bit.... and they really like them both. They get one at noon and one at night - I'm satisfied with them - they won't eat any other wet food. Stubburn kitties!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats who aren't big on wet food love the Meow Mix wet. From what I have read the main problem with food that is high in seafood is that it is higher in magnesium which has been linked to urinary tract problems. I still give it to them once or twice a week and another wet food the rest of the time.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
... the other thing is the varing amounts of sodium nitrate ( sp?) this is a chemical preservative ... I feed it a few time s a week since it is decent quality at a low price and the girls like it

blue ash

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While I will say my cats love that stuff, I personally wouldn't feed it more then an occasional treat. There are several more desirable foods that could be meant for a staple diet.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
There are more desirable foods, but my Abby won't eat them. She sticks up her little nose at most, and will only lick the gravy on the Nutro pouches. She will eat the meow mix pouches, and also gets Innova Evo dry to balance it all out.

blue ash

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
AbbysMom:

Have you tried Fancy Feast or Pet Gold (the kinds with real peices of meat in them)? What about smooshing up the nutro packets into the gravey, sometimes that has worked for others.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Fancy Feast has byproducts, so I will not buy it. I am not sure about the Pet gold.

blue ash

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Abbysmom: Pet Gold does not have by-products in it.
Pet Gold Elite that is.

It is only sold at Petco, so I'm sure you can find them there. My cats went nuts for them years ago when it first came out.

Here is a sample ingredient from their formulas.

Pet Gold Elite Adult Cat Food in Cans
2.8 oz. - Tuna & Rice With Prawn Dinner - Case Of 24
SKU: 828149
Water sufficient for processing, tuna, rice, prawn, sunflower seed oil, dicalcium phosphate, vegetable gums (locust bean, guar, carrageenan), taurine, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate heptahydrate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), nicotinic acid (vitamin B3), calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate monohydrate, vitamin A supplement, potassium iodide, ferrous sulfate monohydrate, vitamin D3 supplement, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), copper sulfate pentahydrate, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K), vitamin B12 supplement.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlphilli

Are we referring to Meow mix wet or dry?
wet...

Pet gold is too literal fish for me ... lol

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
authority is better quality than meow mix (in my opinion) for about the same price. the kitten kind is a pate type, i dont know about the rest.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blue Ash

Abbysmom: Pet Gold does not have by-products in it.
Pet Gold Elite that is.

It is only sold at Petco, so I'm sure you can find them there. My cats went nuts for them years ago when it first came out.

Here is a sample ingredient from their formulas.

Pet Gold Elite Adult Cat Food in Cans
2.8 oz. - Tuna & Rice With Prawn Dinner - Case Of 24
SKU: 828149
Water sufficient for processing, tuna, rice, prawn, sunflower seed oil, dicalcium phosphate, vegetable gums (locust bean, guar, carrageenan), taurine, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate heptahydrate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), nicotinic acid (vitamin B3), calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate monohydrate, vitamin A supplement, potassium iodide, ferrous sulfate monohydrate, vitamin D3 supplement, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), copper sulfate pentahydrate, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K), vitamin B12 supplement.
This is one type wet we feed: Natural life Lamaderm Feline:

Ingredients: Lamb, lamb broth, lamb liver, kidney, ground brown rice, peas, carrots, lecithin, calcium carbonate, flaxseed meal, potassium chloride, guar gum, cranberry meal, minerals (iron amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, cobalt amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, potassium iodide), yucca schidigera extract, vitamins (vitamin e, a, d3, b12 supplements, thiamin mononitrate, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin), choline chloride, taurine, carrageenan.

And different flavors of Meow mix. The one you listed does not look good to me.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

i read that wet food in can with the lids that pop off the top cause cancer in cats.
Just curious do you have a link to where you read this at. Because I have never heard this before.

I can not get Authority where I live.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Just curious do you have a link to where you read this at. Because I have never heard this before.

I can not get Authority where I live.
it was a link provided to me in another topic about wet vs. dry food (the link was provided in support of wet food). i will try to find it again and post it here.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ok i found it here is the part that says it, it is the 2nd paragraph from the bottom of the article, and sorry it says thyroid disease, not cancer:

Quality is just as important with canned cat food as any other type of food. See this article to learn how to read a label and assess a food's quality for yourself. If possible, buy the food in a larger can, and store leftovers in a glass jar in the refrigerator. Pop-top cans, by-products, and fish flavors of canned cat food have been linked to the development of thyroid disease in cats.

and here is the link to the article:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=...needcannedfood

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was feeding mine iams wet but they changed their formulas and now she doesn't like it. She'll nibble a little, but never finishes it like she did before.

I got some of the little cups of Meow Mix and she about wet herself trying to eat it so fast. I just now opened the first one. I'll have to go back tommorrow and get more. And hopefully something else to rotate it with, I don't like the fish amounts either.

Little confused about the "canned food with pop-tops causes cancer" thing... It's not cancer, it's hyperthyroidism caused by a benign tumor. From what I can find of the original article (JAVMA Vol 224) the problem may with commercial canned food in general and not necessarily with the way you open the can, esp since only male cats showed any difference between can-opener kinds and pop-top kinds. They line pop-top cans with Bisphenol-A, but not non-pop-top kinds. This is all from at least two years ago, perhaps call the manufacturer of the type of food you feed and ask them if they line the cans with Bisphenol-A or not.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So what I got from that is don't store canned food in the can when refridgerated, avoid by products, and limit the amount fish flavored food.