won't come out

texbabyj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just adopted a kitten from petsmart. It was through some rescue thing. He seemed really sweet when i played with him there, but all of them were very shy. His paperwork said he was 6 weeks but he looked closer to 3 months.

He went under my couch last night and he still won't come out. I have tried toys and food. What should I do? I am worried because I don't think he has eaten or anything.

Yesterday after he came home he hid the bathroom behind the toilet. Before I went to sleep I carried him to bed with me and he let me pet him for a long time and he loved the attention. It was like he was craving it and couldn't get enough. But as soon as I stopped he took off. Please help.

p.s. I need a name for this little guy. He is black all over with a little white patch under his mouth and white fur coming out of his ears. He has white feet too. His name was boots, but I didn't like it. Any suggestions for names?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will come out with time. Maybe his world is too big right now. can you make your bedroom his "house" for a while? put all his stuff in there and when you are at work, close the door? A toy called the "tail" is a crowd pleaser. You can get it at petsmart. HE's scared, he will come around. Nothing like a new kitty in the house. sigh

As for a name, my shy guy is named Pansy because he acts like a Pansy. His brothers names are Spike and FAng. I love black and white cats. Then why don't I have one now??hmmm. anyway, you can borrow Pansy if you like. Sounds like it might fit.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! A new kitty!!!

He's just scared right now. He'll get used to the place and come out on his own. Don't force him. Just let him get used to the place on his own. Keep food, water and litter close so he knows where to find them.

As far as names go, I prefer to use "people" names for my cats. I also like "different" people names. The important thing to remember about naming an animal is that they don't know their name, they know sounds and will pick up on certain parts of the word that are emphasized.

Do a www.google.ca search for baby names. You will find lots of nice names for boys and one will be just right for your kitty

For something different, search for:

Japanese baby names
Danish baby names
French Baby names
Irish bay names
Spanish baby names
etc.

Just put the language/country of the name you are looking for in front.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My new kitten came from someones house and he hid under the couch for about 3 days! We laughed at him because I'd reach under the couch and pet him; first he would hiss then a second later he would purr. Now he is a total sweety.

It is perfectly normal.

My kitty is black and white and we named him Dewey. I wanted to name him Dash (from the Incrediables) because he was so fast but I got out-voted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texbabyj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he hasn't hissed at me at all, but he does purr a lot when i reach under and pet him. I like the name Dash too... I was thinking that or Gizmo

princess kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by TexbabyJ

I just adopted a kitten from petsmart. It was through some rescue thing. He seemed really sweet when i played with him there, but all of them were very shy. His paperwork said he was 6 weeks but he looked closer to 3 months.

He went under my couch last night and he still won't come out. I have tried toys and food. What should I do? I am worried because I don't think he has eaten or anything.

Yesterday after he came home he hid the bathroom behind the toilet. Before I went to sleep I carried him to bed with me and he let me pet him for a long time and he loved the attention. It was like he was craving it and couldn't get enough. But as soon as I stopped he took off. Please help.

p.s. I need a name for this little guy. He is black all over with a little white patch under his mouth and white fur coming out of his ears. He has white feet too. His name was boots, but I didn't like it. Any suggestions for names?
LOL! I'm having the same thing happen with a 4yr old cat I just adopted. She is the sweetest thing and was very friendly at the shelter, but when I brought her home she went and hid under the bed, this is normal she just has to get used to her new home and environment.
My cat Princess has been hiding since thursday, 4 days, but I caught her out exploring last night when I was asleep, so she's getting there and yours will too.
Your kitty will be fine.

mauld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two years ago, I adopted Misha from Petsmart and had a similar problem. She was extremely skittish and for the first week or so, would hide (eveb- dug herself up inside the bottom of my couch once!). At one point, she also disappeared for a couple of days. We had left a bag out for GoodWill that my husband took over to one of those big bins. I was so sure she had somehow gotten into the closed bag, that I called the main district of GoodWill and wanted them to seach for her
. But no worries, she had curled herself up into a corner under a bed in our basement. One of our other cats (we have 2 more) kept going over to the bed and sniffing around--- that's how we discovered her. She's much better now, still skittish and very fearful around strangers, but a real sweetheart

As for a name, we live with the cat for awhile, until we find a name that suits either their personality, or 'just seems right' for them'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texbabyj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have decided to name him Dash since everytime i stop petting him he dashes away. He still doesn't come out form under the bed during the day, but he is coming out at night.

We are having some littler box issues right now tho. He will pee in there but won't poop in there. I tried picking up his nad putting it in there and he still did it outside the box. I was thinking that maybe it is too close to me or too out in the open for him so I am moving it under the part of the desk where he goes.

Other than that things are good. He comes out and eats and drinks at night and plays with some toys that are on the ground. He meows until i play with him sometimes, but he is still too shy to sleep on the bed with me.

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some cats prefer to have one litter box to pee and a different one to poop. I would try getting a second box.