Mom Doesn't Pick Babies Up....She Pushes Them!

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have yet to see Spots pick up her babies. It almost seems like she doesn't know how. I had a baby out on the bed with her and she would use her paw to sort of 'swat' it in the right direction. Sometimes she would push it with her head, but she won't pick it up....
Strange cat.......

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lilly wont pick up her kitten's either , if they wonder out the nest ( they can't go anywhere far) she get's up look's really worried but just wont pick her up she goes back to the nest and keep's watching with a really worried look on her face then she look's at me as if 2 say help!! lol so i place forest back in the nest then lilly give's her a cuddle and a lick then all is fine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well Spots will come out but it almost seems like she thinks she's playing with a little mouse or something, the way she hits at it....I end up picking up the baby and putting it back in the box....

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she isn't being rough enough to hurt anybody. Maybe getting a box the kittens can't crawl out of might help?

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meeka is HORRIBLE at picking up her kittens. I almost wish she would just push them like what you describe. The kittens start screaming if she picks them up. Sometimes she will grab a leg, a butt, or worse the nose. I seriously thought she injured one the other day when she did the nose thing. I suspect that when they are bigger it will become more obvious. She is being a fabulous mother in every other way except this one.

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i wish missy wouldnt pick hers up. my daughter got up to the toilet during the night and missy was scratching so she let her out and fell asleep before putting her back in her room i woke up with two kittens in the bed lol i think missy was saying i need a rest can you babysit for a while i got up and missy was asleep on the settee.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by michelle mayall

i wish missy wouldnt pick hers up. my daughter got up to the toilet during the night and missy was scratching so she let her out and fell asleep before putting her back in her room i woke up with two kittens in the bed lol i think missy was saying i need a rest can you babysit for a while i got up and missy was asleep on the settee.
Priceless!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mowsluver

Well Spots will come out but it almost seems like she thinks she's playing with a little mouse or something, the way she hits at it....I end up picking up the baby and putting it back in the box....
Sounds like the kittens will need therapy when they are older:

'And then she used to swat me like I was a MOUSE!'

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

Meeka is HORRIBLE at picking up her kittens. I almost wish she would just push them like what you describe. The kittens start screaming if she picks them up. Sometimes she will grab a leg, a butt, or worse the nose. I seriously thought she injured one the other day when she did the nose thing. I suspect that when they are bigger it will become more obvious. She is being a fabulous mother in every other way except this one.
Yeah - Meeka's might need therapy too.

bluebells belly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bluebell flung one of hers last night! she sort of grabbed it with her mouth and threw it a little way. Not up in the air but so that the kitten was put in the corner ( the naughty corner perhaps!) The kitten didn't squeal or anything, Bluebell licked it then. Maybe i will go along with the kittens for therapy!!!!

ms_joshica

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HA HA! Well MaxSheba picked up the kittens so terrible I thought for sure she was gonna injure one of them. She scared me so bad I just told her to put the baby down! I must have said it firmly because she did and I just put the poor thing back. Now, she knows she cant carry them. They are almost a month old and she must have that mother look b/c she gives this little meow, the look at her, she gives them "the look", and they bring their little butts back to the nest like she said.

boots

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lol boots is same she has never picked any of her babys up and they are 8 weeks old when they were littler she would lick them over to where she wanted them she tried a few times but i think she got scared to pick them up and when she gets anxious to where they are she does a little meow and they all come running over to her its so cute melts ur heart