Getting Kittens Eating Wet Food

teach92651

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,

I am adopting two Siamese kittens in September. When they arrive, they will be nine weeks old and will have been eating grocery store wet food and a kitten formulated dry food (What can you do? It's in the breeder's power).

I have been reading threads here at this site and following up on many of the links provided, and from everything that I have gathered, the best diet to ensure good health and a long life consists of wet food exclusively and plenty of water.

Here is a good link that Phkitkat sent me:

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutr...Which_is_reall

After losing my two beloved Siamese (who only ate Maxcat dry food) last year to CRF, I want to do all that is in my power to have my two new babies avoid this ailment.

So, I want to remove dry food from their diets and get them eating (solely) a quality wet food, such as Evo or Chicken Soup Lovers for the Kitten's Soul, as quickly as I can. I have a Petmate Fresh Flow Fountain ready to go as well.

Any advice that you guys have regarding moving them to an all-wet-food diet would be most welcome. I don't want them to suffer intentinal distress from the switch over, and I want to make sure that they eat when and what kittens need to eat. I'm hoping to move them away from dry food quickly, so they'll never miss it.

Thank you all very much!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One start mixing the grocery canned with whatever premium you choose( I would recommend trying many brands and flavors) .. the dry should be allowed for the first year to ensure they get enough( only if you were raw feeding would I say no dry for a kitten)

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you start sending some wet food over to the breeder to get them started on it as soon as possible? Ask her to remove the dry, yummy kitten food so they don't develop a taste for it.

I recently had a 2/5 - 3 month old kitten simply refuse to eat anything but Purina kitten chow.

It seems to happen a lot, there is a thread on kittens stopping eating wet food recently in which a number of us have had our kittens just quit it.

When there are two kittens, even if one stops eating something, it can be a real pain.

Good luck and hope to see some pics soon! This is a pic of my adopted kitten (left) born in the wild. I don't know where he came from he looks like he has some Siamese in him though... He eats really well and his body is in nice condition. They are now eating Merrick's and love it, well, he is.

I guess the only other thing I forgot to add is that I am interested in buying cat food online since the pet store here where I live is not going to be carrying a premium wet food anymore after they sell all their Merrick's. I don't know what it is about this area but people seem to like their small dogs a lot more and the cats get overlooked. The stores reflect this.

dusty0463

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most cat's can's resist Sheba, but it's almost the most expensive. It's kinda like Gourmet food for cats, lol... My cat gets some every night, but I still feed him mostly dry food.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dusty0463

Most cat's can's resist Sheba, but it's almost the most expensive. It's kinda like Gourmet food for cats, lol... My cat gets some every night, but I still feed him mostly dry food.
Really? Where do you get this Sheba? The only Sheba I know of is grocery store crap.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For switching them over I would do a mixture of whatever they are on now to whatever you plan to have them on. And just gradually in crease the new and decrease the old.

I feed wet 2 times a day and dry during the day. I feed EVO dry and Meow Mix(wet pouches) and Natural Life (canned wet). Our cat didn't like the Chicken Soup or any of the Merricks. So this works for us.