2 stray cats - possibly both female

sazza

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last summer, we noticed a tabby cat in our garden with her two kittens - (one is tortoiseshell, the other calico). We fed them on and off all year. The mother has since disappeared, but the two kittens visit us regularly. What concerns me, is that these two kittens may soon have litters of their own.

We had a bush in our garden, which they used to hide in - this has since been cut back. I have been listening out for any kitten like noises, and have heard nothing.

These kittens are quite shy, are not keen on humans at all - although seem more relaxed than what they used to be.

Should I contact the RSPCA? I didn't want to do this last year in fear of the cat and kittens being put down, due to the fact that they are feral.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sazza

Last summer, we noticed a tabby cat in our garden with her two kittens - (one is tortoiseshell, the other calico). We fed them on and off all year. The mother has since disappeared, but the two kittens visit us regularly. What concerns me, is that these two kittens may soon have litters of their own.

We had a bush in our garden, which they used to hide in - this has since been cut back. I have been listening out for any kitten like noises, and have heard nothing.

These kittens are quite shy, are not keen on humans at all - although seem more relaxed than what they used to be.

Should I contact the RSPCA? I didn't want to do this last year in fear of the cat and kittens being put down, due to the fact that they are feral.
I would contact the list below of organizations that work with feral cats and see if they know of anyone in your area:

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html#uk

Katie

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you should contact RSPCA, or better yet, the AlleyCat Allies that TNR1 recommends.
There can be so much tragedy that happens to feral cats; they can die during birthing kittens, or of infection afterwards; they can catch disease or be killed by cars or dogs, leaving the hidden kittens to starve
Bless you for caring enough for these cats to look out for them, poor babies
Please keep us updated on how their situation progresses

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sazza

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Mama cat of these two females was around our back garden a few nights back. I have been putting down food for her and tonight continued to do so. Looking out my window, I discovered a big chunky black cat (with collar) munching through the food - this cat was HUGE - and no wonder!!!

I will continue to observe as there is a good chance she may have had another litter this year, or her 2 kittens from last year may even have had a litter (original post).

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The Mama cat of these two females was around our back garden a few nights back. I have been putting down food for her and tonight continued to do so. Looking out my window, I discovered a big chunky black cat (with collar) munching through the food - this cat was HUGE - and no wonder!!!

I will continue to observe as there is a good chance she may have had another litter this year, or her 2 kittens from last year may even have had a litter (original post).
I wouldn't simply "observe" this family...I would attempt to trap them and get them spayed. Mom cat may likely be pregnant again and depending on the ages of the girls...they could be pregnant as well. Unless you want to be feeding an ever growing colony, it is best to have them spayed now.

Katie

sazza

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is only the second time I have seen the Mother in around a year. I will do my best that I can for these cats but, it is not feasable for me to be trapping cats (I don't have a room for a stray cat as I have pet rats) and having them spayed (I don't currently have the finances).

Like I said in my previous post, if I ever spot any other kittens in the garden I would call the necessary organisations to come and collect them, and the Mother if need be. (Or should I be contacting the RSPCA about these 3 cats anyway?)

Edited to add*** I have just emailed the cats protection and I am awaiting a reply. Thanks

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This is only the second time I have seen the Mother in around a year. I will do my best that I can for these cats but, it is not feasable for me to be trapping cats (I don't have a room for a stray cat as I have pet rats) and having them spayed (I don't currently have the finances).

Like I said in my previous post, if I ever spot any other kittens in the garden I would call the necessary organisations to come and collect them, and the Mother if need be. (Or should I be contacting the RSPCA about these 3 cats anyway?)

Edited to add*** I have just emailed the cats protection and I am awaiting a reply. Thanks
I can understand running into financial issues...but if you cannot take care of getting these cats fixed..then definately do NOT feed them. You will only encourage them to stick around and then they will have litters of kittens in your area.

Katie

sazza

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Cats Protection have emailed me to say they will help me with trapping and spaying these cats. I am going to call tomorrow to make arrangements.

Should I continue to put food out meanwhile?