This is so weird

perfectfit1961

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Furball had 5 kittens today. All doing well..eating etc.

I've been up with her since 11 am Sunday morning and now it is 5 am Monday morning. I decide to go on my computer for a bit before turning in. My computer is upstairs in my bedroom and her kittens are downstairs in a quiet corner of the livingroom yet Furball is here at my feet lying on the carpet.

I don't get it. Is this normal so soon after delivery?

I don't know what to do other then leave my bedroom door open for her while I sleep so she can get back downstairs when she feels like it.

bluebells belly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Bluebell likes to leave her kittens for a while to spend a little time with me. After a while she goes back, all the babies get a lick and she settles down to feed them. My advice is to Just keep an eye on he amount of time you see Furball feed them.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by perfectfit1961

Furball had 5 kittens today. All doing well..eating etc.

I've been up with her since 11 am Sunday morning and now it is 5 am Monday morning. I decide to go on my computer for a bit before turning in. My computer is upstairs in my bedroom and her kittens are downstairs in a quiet corner of the livingroom yet Furball is here at my feet lying on the carpet.

I don't get it. Is this normal so soon after delivery?

I don't know what to do other then leave my bedroom door open for her while I sleep so she can get back downstairs when she feels like it.
Truthfully, I would contain her to a room with her kittens and her food and litterbox. This will be especially helpful when the kittens get older and need to learn how to eat and use the litterbox on their own.

Katie

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meeka did that with her first litter. I slept next to the nest on the sofa because the baby was too little and I had to bottlefeed it (didn't make it in the end). But Meeka kept coming and laying with me instead of her baby. I kept having to put her back in the nest. Had that been a viable litter I would have isolated her until she got the idea that the babies need her. First time moms don't always know what is going on.

With Meeka's second litter nothing could part that cat from her nest (food, bathroom, nothing) for about 10 hours and at that time ti was only to go to the bathroom. She wanted nothing to do with leaving. So there is a learning curve that takes place with the first time moms.

The babies will get cold without mom in the nest with them. If you need to isolate her to a bathroom then that is what is needed until she figures out her role.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

perfectfit1961

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did take her downstairs and stayed down there with her for a few minutes while she was in the box with the kittens. Then I came upstairs at 7am and shut my bedroom door to sleep after being awake for almost 24 hours with her. All the other doors in the house were shut as well.
When I got up at 12:30 pm she was in the nest with the kittens.

Then at 2:05 pm she delivered another kitten. Another calico female who is small but now nursing well. I named her Trouble for the trouble she was giving her mother.

Now Furball seems relaxed and is sleeping with the kittens. Her breathing is a little fast but there is no panting or straining of any sort but I don't know how fast cats breathe. The breathing has me a little worried but I will keep an eye on her tonight. If it continous to worry me I will get her to the vet as soon as they are opened (8 am) for an xray.

I was speaking to the vet on the phone one half hour before the last kitten was born as I was concerned about her straining. I was concerned something was stuck.

I'm not sure what else to do other then watch her for signs of problems and
get her to the vet asap if any occur.

perfectfit1961

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bluebells Belly

My cat Bluebell likes to leave her kittens for a while to spend a little time with me. After a while she goes back, all the babies get a lick and she settles down to feed them. My advice is to Just keep an eye on he amount of time you see Furball feed them.
Today about 2 hours after the 6th kitten was born she did leave the box for a few minutes to lie on the floor in front of the front door and groom herself. It was her favourite spot when pregnant because it is cooler there and she could look out the glass on the door.
Other then that and getting out for some food she has been in there every minute now.

perfectfit1961

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Furball is getting spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned. I'm not going through THIS again.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by perfectfit1961

Furball is getting spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned. I'm not going through THIS again.
That's a good idea...but be very careful...we've had a few posters who have had cats that have gotten out again once they had given birth. You should keep her secure if you are planning to go out.

Katie