Wipes for cats?

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey guys...my two year old female, Sunny, is slightly overweight, and seemingly unable to reach the portion of her back that's at the base of her tail (opposite side from her bum), because it's quite oily. I would like to clean it in the least stressful way possible, so I was wondering...

Are there wipes for cats that are effective? Her fur is a bit clumped at this point (just a bit), and obviously from oil, and I would like to clean it, but not in a way that requires an actual bath.

Could I possibly use baby wipes? I have sensitive skin baby wipes that I could use. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use unscented baby wipes on my lot as they are oldies (and Ginger has no teeth), but i dont do it all that often to make sure it doesn't strip their fur too much. I used to use a facecloth when I only had two cats, but got a bit tricky with 6. I would recommend trying to get her to lose some weight as well though - is she spayed?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3M produces wipes specifically for cats and dogs for a quick clean - very effecective (unless you're allergic to aloe vera like me!). It's quite pricey over here...

krystaline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use the cat wipes every now and then on Vodka, and I love them! She doesn't seem to mind TOO much, and afterwards, she is so soft and smells SOO good! I only wipe her down about 1-2 times a month, though, because she does a pretty good job of cleaning herself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

I use unscented baby wipes on my lot as they are oldies (and Ginger has no teeth), but i dont do it all that often to make sure it doesn't strip their fur too much. I used to use a facecloth when I only had two cats, but got a bit tricky with 6. I would recommend trying to get her to lose some weight as well though - is she spayed?
Yes, we will be working on her weight. And yes, she's spayed.

We've bought food that's supposed to help with weight. The funny thing I've always found is the fact that she's very active, it's not like she just lays around all day...her brother makes sure to keep her active!!

I would start limiting her dry food intake (she absolutely REFUSES to eat canned food of ANY sort), but that would also limit her brother's. He's very active, and is a long, lean body type, and not overweight at all, so I worry about limiting his in take. It's not like she gets all the food, either. She waits for him to finish eating, and they each wait their turn at the food bowl when one is already there. I don't see her eating too much, either, so I'm a bit puzzled about her weight.

So, there you go...my quandry in helping her lose weight. We're going to get more toys today (of different varieties), though it's not like she has a lack. But we're going to get her some that make her jump a bit to help exercise her back end, because that's the end that's got the most weight.

Until she loses the weight, though, we'll have to find some way to help clean the area.

Question: aloe is poisonous to cats...so using wipes that say they contain aloe would be a bad idea, right?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby wipes work wonderfully! I use them all the time on my girls and my foster kittens.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure to never use wipes with tea tree oil in them. This can poison the cat.
Aloe vera gel should be all right. I've used some cleaner wipes on Gizmo and while she doesn't like it, she's also done fine with them.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a shame she wont eat any wet food, as it is better with weight loss. I think the only way you can do it is to give her measured portions, and you need to get on top of this now really, as if you leave it, it will get harder to deal with as she gets older.