RIP nameless kitty

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I was out walking the doggies through a part of my suburb I hadn't been before. It is lovely - big rolling lawns, gorgeous houses, a view to the river, and such a lovely cold crisp morning.

I rounded the corner and Ruby started very insistently sniffing at some bins, which were obstructing my view of the road. As I kept walking I saw the pussy cat - a beautiful cream Burmese, about the size of my Sashka, that had been run over and was dead, bloody face, lying on the side of the road, facing away from me. I stood there numb with shock for about a minute, just staring at it, but couldn't bring myself to go closer to look at the name on its tag - also the dogs would have been too close to it, too, and I didn't want it to be sniffed over by curious dogs.

It was so sad, poor sweet baby. Somebody loved that cat, it was beautiful. So I called directory assistance and got through to the ranger, and told him where it was. I didn't know until I got home, but I had dropped my keys somewhere along the walk, and so went back looking for them. When I got back to that spot, it was gone. I hope that the ranger was able to find its owners.

My cats are indoor/outdoor, as I have always lived in quiet areas, but this road was a No Through Road, quiet and peaceful - the risk of one life is enough to make me not let mine out anymore. Because the risk is always there, and someone has lost their baby.

RIP sweet kitty, you will always be in my heart.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Thats so sad,The poor baby
R.I.P Little kitty

I feel for you finding that poor baby like that,It must have been very upsetting

I can understand you not wanting to let your cats out now.

My cat Meir,when I first found him, used to cry at the door to go out and I felt so cruel keeping him in,he would try anything to get out,even hiding near the door and waiting for his chance to get out.
One day he did and he was missing for five days,the next I heard of him was when
somebody in the next street called me and said 'I've found your cat....Its not good news....Its its leg...I'm afraid its dead.
I was devastated,they brought him back to me wrapped in a bloody towel,he wasn't dead as I thought,it was his leg that was dead.I have never been so relieved in my life.
His leg was so smashed up he was very lucky not to have it amputated,It was only saved through the skill of a very good surgeon.(and £1500.oo)
He didn't get hit by a car,he was asleep under a car and didn't hear it start up.

He has not once wanted to or even tried to get out since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm very glad that your baby survived...a similar thing happened to my friend's kitty Nelson. He was hit by a car, and crawled off to hide in a tree stump. They searched for him for two days before my friend insisted on checking in this stump - she just had a sixth sense. Well, he was in there with half his face missing, and they saved him. It cost them thousands but you'd never know to look at him now, he is such a beautiful boy. He is still allowed out but they have had proper fencing installed so he can't get out of their yard.

When my Mum was about 16 she lived on a farm, and she went to back the car out of the driveway one day. Four of their barn kittens were asleep on top of the wheels under the body of the car. She ran them all over - and can never forget the feeling of the bumps under the car, and then seeing them squirm on the driveway in front of her. She has never got over it and none of her cats are ever allowed outside, now.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

When my Mum was about 16 she lived on a farm, and she went to back the car out of the driveway one day. Four of their barn kittens were asleep on top of the wheels under the body of the car. She ran them all over - and can never forget the feeling of the bumps under the car, and then seeing them squirm on the driveway in front of her. She has never got over it and none of her cats are ever allowed outside, now.
Aww that is so heartbreaking
I am so sorry that happened to your mum,I cannot imagine the guilt she must feel
I know it seems easy for me to say but please tell your mum not to feel bad,She wasn't to know.
It is only through reading about what other peoples experiences are that we get to learn more.
I have read about animals taking shelter under cars,When I go to feed my feral colony now,I always make sure they are not under the car before I move off...so in a way what happened to your mums kitties and other cats that has happened to, their lives were not in vain,because people like me have learnt from that,and lives have been saved.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rest in peace, little kitty, and peace to those who loved you in life, and to those hurt by your passing.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences to the family who lost their cat. They will be grateful that you found him, and called a ranger to look them up & give the sad news - at least they will be spared the horrible fate of "not knowing, always hoping". The TCS community, world wide, pays tribute to this unknown kitty.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a painful thing to see on your walk! Thanks for notifying the ranger so the owners could be found. Rest in peace little one!