Freeze dried meat treats

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've noticed something about 2 separate brands of freeze dried meat treats. If you buy Halo Live a Littles freeze dried chicken, beef, salmon, or lamb the container says "refrigerate after opening" But I've noticed that if you do that so much moisture collects on the outside of the container and it's very possible some moisture may be collecting on the inside of the container as well. So for this reason I'm not very comfortable feeding this to my cats.

If you buy Wildside Salmon the box says "do not refrigerate" and that I feel more comfortable with because the treat stays dry and fresh in the pouch which is stored in the box.

So I wonder, since both products are freeze dried, do I really need to put the Halo Live a Littles in the refrigerator? Can't I just leave it in the container and store it in the kitchen cupboard? And if so how long can I keep it before it's no longer good and how quick must I use the treats up after opening?

And I wonder why the Halo company says I have to refrigerate it? The Wildside company advises against it because of the fact that moisture can get into it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i've never refrigerated any of the freeze-dried treats i've gotten... i've never gotten the Halo ones, but i've gotten some brand of freeze-dried chicken liver. i keep mine in zip-lock baggies. if i were you, i'd just not get the Halo ones.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of the freeze-dried treats I carry require refrigeration (wildside salmon, dr. Harvey's, grandma lucy's, whole life)...however, if a company says to do so, there must be a reason...perhaps there is a difference in how they are freeze-drying?? I'd write and ask them, and explain what is happening re the moisture when you do so.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow thank you for the heads up as I was about to buy those ... I think I will stick with the kind that dont require it ..

Moggiegirl
I have tried pming you a few things for about a week but your pm box is full

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Wow thank you for the heads up as I was about to buy those ... I think I will stick with the kind that dont require it ..

Moggiegirl
I have tried pming you a few things for about a week but your pm box is full
I just emptied my mailbox. I'll check messages tomorrow.