Sudden skin irritation, any ideas? Please?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, Maia has developed a scaby skin irritation on her forhead starting below her ear. I've always cleaned her ears since she was a tot, this has developed in the past 3 days or so. I only noticed it today but when I looked at some pics I took of her last night I could see it as well........
It is only on one side, here is a pic I took just now.....

Then when I looked at the pics I took last night I saw this...

You can see her fur is sheading a bit there as well in just 16 hours.
Ofcourse things always happen when the vets not open so I am taking her in tommorow, just thought some forsight would help me relax, or maybe some temporary relief if any one has any ideas....thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also just noticed it in the corner of her mouth on the same side..........?????

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
looks like she might have a case of mites in her ears. take her into a vet and have them check her teeth and inside her ears. some flea treatments don't cover ear mites. could also be a tooth or gum that is inflamed and causing an infection. if that's not the case it could be a food allergy ask your vet about a diet to help work out what she's allergic to!
good luck

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If is was mites would it only be 1 ear and corner of mouth? I did just switch her from kitten Nutro Maxcat to the adult 3 days ago.....I already pulled that from her for the night................... She seems to be itching even more at her mouth.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
that looks similar to Pixel's sores when she had the bad herpes flare-up before i knew what it was. you'll need to check with the vet to be sure, but if that's what it is, it's easily treated with lysine supplements.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

If is was mites would it only be 1 ear and corner of mouth? I did just switch her from kitten Nutro Maxcat to the adult 3 days ago.....I already pulled that from her for the night................... She seems to be itching even more at her mouth.
yes sometimes they can nest more in one ear than the other. which would cause your cat to scratch at it excessivly. could be the irritation of the ear that is causing itching around the face as well. but it could also be the teeth and gums that are irritated. this would cause itching and discomfort. if there is an infection in the jaw area it can spread to the ear and make it itch as well. doubt it's herpes, that would affect the eye area more with swollen eye, redness of the lids and discharge. it could be acne, or flea bites, an allergy to dust mites in the house, allergy to food, ring worm...best to check with a vet ASAP.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am taking her tommorow, she just seems very lethargic now and cleaning herself extra all over. I am thinking an allergy.......... we will see. Thanks everyone, any more ideas would be great! Maia thanks you to!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very concerned, she is extremely lethargic, not at all her self...........sleeping very deep, wakes up to get some food and water, hugs and kisses, then back to sleep. keeping a close eye on her.......thinking some kind of infection going on..

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her symtoms are worrisome ... if she gets any worse get her to an ER vet TONIGHT

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems to have been an allergic reaction, vet gave her clean bill of health! Thanks everyone!