She's trying to take Buddha to her nest!

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
as some of you know, Buddha is her 16 week old kitten from her last litter. while she was preg. she wanted nothing to do with hima dn she would swat at him and growel and just be really mean to him. well now that she has had the babies she fallows him everywhere and meows like crazy and when he is laying down she tries to pick him up like she's ganna take him back to her nest in my room. (and he is almost as big as her) i must say i think he's getting fed up with her.
is this normal mother behavior?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've personally never heard of a cat doing that before? I'm stummped. What i would suggest is asking some of the breeders on the breeders forum for advice on this. I know a lot of them have kittens from previous litters that they've kept..as well as their moms, so maybe one of them can advise you on this. I would however keep a close eye on the little male kitten. If he's almost as big as the momma...he could potentially hurt the new kittens...I would put him in a seperate room, or supervise very closley.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah he came in my room and looked at the kittens while i was in there and he just kinda sat there and stared at them. he doesnt want to get to close to the nest cuz i think he's scared Kitty might drag him in there again.

its not really an urgent issue i was just wondering if anyone had ever seen this happening before. he's just getting annoyed that everytime he's not loking or he falls asleep Kitty is trying to drag him around and he starts throwin a fit
its actually kinda fuuny to watch. you can almost narrate what they are saying.

kit-t-kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i dont know whats up with that but do you mind me asking did she have back to back pregnatcies

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had one case of a daughter cat having her litter about 4 weeks after her mom. I heard a screech and saw daughter was dragging her baby sister to her nest. The kitten would then climb out and head to her littermates, only to have big sis drag her back. I remember asking the daughter if she was wanting little sis to babysit!

It could be Kitty's hormones are making her feel very maternal.

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kit-t-kat

i dont know whats up with that but do you mind me asking did she have back to back pregnatcies
no its fine. yeah she did. i think they were about 7 weeks after her first litter she got pg again. she got pregnant the first time because we didnt think we were going to keep her so we didnt spay her then we found out she was pg. and we decided to keep her and one baby.

we were going to get her spayed as soon as kittens were weaned but when they were we were really tight on $$ and we couldent get her spayed and i didnt find out she was pg. until ifelt the babies moving. she will be getting spayed this time and she is not getting out any more because we put screens in all of our windows

kit-t-kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you i was wondering cause my cat mite be again and her kitties are 7 weeks i am in the same boat you were with the $being tight even with low cost spaying i am so scared somthing is going to happen to her if she has another litter thank you again

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can get her spayed while she's pregnant, and the babies "taken care of". It sounds horrible, but do you really need ANOTHER litter of kittens running around??

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JESSIEnKITTY

as some of you know, Buddha is her 16 week old kitten from her last litter. while she was preg. she wanted nothing to do with hima dn she would swat at him and growel and just be really mean to him. well now that she has had the babies she fallows him everywhere and meows like crazy and when he is laying down she tries to pick him up like she's ganna take him back to her nest in my room. (and he is almost as big as her) i must say i think he's getting fed up with her.
is this normal mother behavior?
I would separate Kitty from Buddha, so she can focus all her maternal instincts on the newbies.

ms_joshica

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jessie it sounds like Kitty is saying, when "I say come in, I mean EVERYBODY, and that means ALL MY KIDS."
She is really just going through a maternal thing. They will do that with stuffed animals, older children, and things that are theirs. She's just being a new mommy again is all.

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ok. thanks guys. she has pretty much accepted now that Buddha isnt going with her. lol.

pondwader

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen several cats do this, taking their almost adult kittens to the nest to be with the younger litter, usually only the first week or so, or while the mum is in labor.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kit-t-kat

thank you i was wondering cause my cat mite be again and her kitties are 7 weeks i am in the same boat you were with the $being tight even with low cost spaying i am so scared somthing is going to happen to her if she has another litter thank you again
Someone has already offered to pay an adoption fee for one of your 7 week old kittens and has provided you a vet that is only $55 for a spay. Again....I really wouldn't risk it...how are you going to handle the next set of kittens if there are complications?? How will you ensure that mom doesn't get out again?? I would truly advise taking her to be spayed.

Katie