spaying stray question

jw_quincy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello,

i've been taking care of stray for about a year and half now. she had 2 kittens about 8 weeks ago and it was a pain finding homes for them. anyhow, i dont want to go through that again, so this week i'm gonna get her spayed. here is my dilema:

i'm basically the cat's only human contact. looka (her name), stays inside with me every now and then, although lately she doesn't seem to want to stay inside for so long. however, when i have people over, she gets scared and scratches the door to go outside and won't come back in unless it is only me at the home. since i'm having my friend and his wife staying with me until their home renovation is complete, looka has hardly been coming inside, but still comes everyday for food or sleeps in the backyard.

i spoke to the vet the other day and she told me that the cat should stay indoors for 10 days so that the stitches would heal. i figure that it may be best to pay the hospital for looka to stay for the 10 days, since i know she'll be hesitant to stay at my home with my friends being around. as silly as this question might sound, i need to ask for those who might have gone through spaying a stray, will looka trust me after i bring her back home? will she still be affectionate towards me? i'm not talking about the effects of the surgery but rather being at the hospital and confined in a cage for 10 days away from her only human contact. if anybody has any advice/answers please do share.

take care,

jim

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You do need to keep her in till she is spayed, as she could already be pregnant again by now if she has been going outside - and if she has been trying to get out, it could be that she is coming back into heat. I know people who do TNR dont always keep cats in for 10 days afterwards, but the longer you can do the better. Could you cage her at your house?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jw_quincy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i can't keep her in cage, i tried. i put her in a cage couple times and walked away, she goes crazy nonstop. plus with my friends staying with me, she hasn't been coming inside at all. she is used to open space and roams around. i'm taking her for the operation in a couple days. i'm just worried after 10 days being confined in hospital away from me, she might not trust or be affectionate towards me anymore.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jw_quincy

i can't keep her in cage, i tried. i put her in a cage couple times and walked away, she goes crazy nonstop. plus with my friends staying with me, she hasn't been coming inside at all. she is used to open space and roams around. i'm taking her for the operation in a couple days. i'm just worried after 10 days being confined in hospital away from me, she might not trust or be affectionate towards me anymore.
Jim..it's good you are getting her spayed. Is your vet using dissolving stitches?? If not...I would highly recommend using dissolving stitches on this girl.

As far as how she will react to you once she is returned...she may initially stay away...but if you continue to put food out for her...I suspect she will return. Remember, having her spayed is healthier for her in the long run.

Katie

jw_quincy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Jim..it's good you are getting her spayed. Is your vet using dissolving stitches?? If not...I would highly recommend using dissolving stitches on this girl.

As far as how she will react to you once she is returned...she may initially stay away...but if you continue to put food out for her...I suspect she will return. Remember, having her spayed is healthier for her in the long run.

Katie
yes, i talked to one of the personnel and the disolvable stitches was an extra $25. i think the entire process with 10 day boarding is gonna cost $400+, but that is fine. i really do care about this cat. i'm taking her in tommorow. i'll post status on her condition as the days goes on.

jim

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do dissolving stitches, and confine her to a bathroom until she recovers. Being shut in your bathroom will be less stressful than being in a cage. For the first few days, she will be extra tired anyhow.

Best of luck with her...you are doing the right thing. With full ferals, sometimes they are turned loose the next day, due to not being able to manage them inside! So if you can keep Looka in for a week, you will be doing well.

I think she will trust you more after the surgery, and she won't have those hormones pulling her outside.

Remind your company...if she gets loose in your home, not to look at her or talk to her. Then they will be less threatening!

jw_quincy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i took looka to the vet today. the surgery went well. she looked sedated and barely can walk but the moment the doctor brought her in, she climbed into my lap and nearly fell asleep. so that is good sign, i hope. anyhow, i paid for the 10 day boarding. i'm gonna visit her everyday until she comes back home with me next thursday. i'll fill you in on details.

thanks,

jim