My mom was sad...

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I mentioned in the Waiting for the Ring thread, my BF told me the other day that he wants to start looking at some rings. I told my mom yesterday, and she seemed so sad! I know she loves Patrick, and she said that, but it just wasn't the reaction I expected.

I guess it may be normal, because I'm their oldest daughter and me and my mom have always been really close. It just sorta took a bit of the happiness from me when she didn't seem as happy as I wanted her to. Anyone else had this reaction?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww... was she sad like, dissapointed? Or sad/happy - like this is her little girl, making a big step in her life?

I'm sure she's very happy for you deep down inside!
I'm sure it just came as a shock to her - give her time, I'm sure she'll be sharing your happiness with you soon enuf!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My mother was happy until I starting packing up everything in my room about a week before the wedding. It sunk in that I wouldn't be living there anymore and things wouldn't be the same. Maybe that's what your mother is thinking about?

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhh that's kinda sweet though, and Mom's never stop wondering and careing and hoping that your life is going to be amazing, and the thought of loosing you somewhat to someone else is tough, I am going through that now with my Grandkids, I just want them to have a Great Great life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I don't think she is sad about me marrying Patrick, she loves him like a son. I'm sure her being sad is just because this really makes her think about me leaving home for good. I mean, I don't live at home right now, but I do come home to visit and stay for a week or so on breaks from school. And even though she has known for a while that me and Patrick planned on getting married, I guess the fact that we're talking about picking out a ring solidifies for her that I am growing up. I'm sure she will warm up to the idea, especially once the engagement becomes "official". She just needs some time to get used to it, I guess.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your mom is probably happy for you, but she's a little bit sad to see you moving into a more independant chapter in your life.

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole

As I mentioned in the Waiting for the Ring thread, my BF told me the other day that he wants to start looking at some rings. I told my mom yesterday, and she seemed so sad! I know she loves Patrick, and she said that, but it just wasn't the reaction I expected.

I guess it may be normal, because I'm their oldest daughter and me and my mom have always been really close. It just sorta took a bit of the happiness from me when she didn't seem as happy as I wanted her to. Anyone else had this reaction?
Yes, everytime I talk about it my mom bursts into tears. I think it is the fact she is a single parent and we have been close while I was growing up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Its nice to know I'm not the only one that happened to!
I'm going home to visit later this week and will talk to her and make sure she's alright with everything, and to let her know she will never lose me!