despair...resigned to cleaning urine every day?

mrsbrak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to be Debbie Downer... I'm an infrequent poster, and usually seek advice in the health and behavior sections.

Today, I'm in despair because I can't see an end to the daily problem of cleaning urine off my floors. I've tried everything. The doc has tried everything, and he says Little Kitty has no physical reason for the inappropriate peeing now that his UTI is cleared up. Doesn't matter what I do... changing boxes, adding boxes, Nature's Miracle, calming stuff...

Do any of you feel resigned to a life of cleaning urine off your floors every day?

Our floors are wood and we're going to sell our house soon, but I'm having trouble getting rid of the pervasive smell as time goes by... it's so saturated.

I can't see giving him up for adoption... he's 8 yrs old and who'd want a cat with a problem like this? Isn't it better to let him outdoors instead of having him euthanized?

Waah!

beccilou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello i had the same problem and you know what works?white vinegar!!!!!!!clean the floor with a little soapy water dry it then take a cloth(dry)and rub white vinegar into the area he pees the most it will deter him!!!try it

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Debbie i'm afraid thats all part and parcel of having animals.

We take them on knowing there may be problems and heartbreak in the future,
More like a marriage,for better for worse,Personally I don't think its wise to let kitty out,as much as your frustrated and yes there are some special people who are prepared to take on an animal with'problems' from a shelter.
If I had kids I wouldn't turn them on the streets because they wet the bed and you wouldn't either.
Its obvious you love this cat and your at your wits end.
Your cat has HAD a uti,I would go over everything you have done to correct the problem and start again,You could have missed something,Just keep trying.

If you have wood floors try using linseed oil to seal the wood in the spaces,and don't over wet the area when cleaning it,that can make it worse than the pee itself.

Good luck

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Go here: http://www.treehouseanimals.org and go to "Behvaior Counseling" under the Tree House Programs tab on the left, and call the number and extension to speak for free with a trained, professional behavior counselor.
Yes, please give this a try. There are specific ways to retrain a kitty to use the litterbox! Turning out an adult cat after being inside for 8 years is not a solution. It would be kinder to have him euthanized, although I don't recommend that either. Maybe something as simple as confinement to a crate for a few days until he starts to understand that it doesn't hurt to use the litterbox will do the trick.

Good luck...don't give up on him yet!