Is it wrong to want to live w/ur parents after 21?

xangelicxnekox

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, most teens my age usually think about movin out right?
No longer on the leash the parents hold and finally able to do what you want.
I myself don't think that way. Sure my parents tick me off sometimes but I don't really think a lot about living on my own because I realize that at my age, it would be very difficult.
I personally rather stay with my parents until maybe my mid 20's because by then I would have a steady job, know where Im going in life, and have a steady income. Or I could just stay w/my folks forever and take the house when they pass.
I kinda think that because our parents hold the "When your older..." speech over our heads that when we finally do get older we can't wait to be "free" and don't really think about what it really means to be older and ready for the real world.
Oh look at me, rambling.

I just wanted to say that I rather spend another 10 more years with my parents then be in such a hurry to leave the nest...and the leash.

Am I a weirdo or am I just wise?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved out at 18 to go to university, and apart from a week or two in the summer rarely spent more than a few days at home... I guess it depends on what kind of person you are and what kind of job you have. I had a really good job throughout university so could afford to live away from home all the time and when I finished university, I moved to Canada to be with my BF, but he has his own business and I have a decent job so it wasn't ever a money issue for me

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XangelicxnekoX

Am I a weirdo or am I just wise?
Perhaps both. As long as it is what you want - and is not an imposition on your parents - than vive la difference.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as your parents are ok with it and it's what you're positive that you want it, I say go for it. I do have to say, however, that there's a lot to be gained from being on your own. If I were you, I'd want to pay for my own things while living there, perhaps even a portion of the mortgage. You don't want to be 40 or 50 years old and not know how to handle bills and manage money and work for all of your own things. You'd also want to learn how to cook, help clean and be prepared for potential mates to be sort of...um...weirded out by the whole arrangement.

Personally, I'm more like icklemiss. I left 3 weeks after I turned 18 and haven't been back for longer than a week at a time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xangelicxnekox

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh I cook and clean and hold up my share!
Im even scounting out for job.
Im just saying that it feels like kids my age jump out there on their own
"just to get away from the 'rents" w/out really knowing what responsibility is, i.e paying bills.
I just want to build a stronger foundation before tackling the world bymyself

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its nice to have a place to stay for free and only pay your little bills, i.e. cell phone, car insurance, credit cards. That's nice and its the pleasure i have, yea i'm a bum, 24 still living w/my mom but if anybody lives in or around Jersey you know that to live here is not cheap by any chance. I am not lazy by any means, i work a full time job, clean the house, do the laundry, feed the animals, wash the dishes, mow the lawn, etc since my mother doesnt do much. I want out w/in the year, which is more than likely going to happen cause me and Vinnie are going to be moving in together....YEA!!! Even if you are living at home and at least supporting yourself and not asking mom and pops for things then more power to you!!! (I grew up middle class in a high class town and not a single classmate of mine knew what it was like to have to work for things they wanted.)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depends... I am 28 and live with Mom ... I pay rent, do the shopping ,run the errands, hold down many jobs, help Mom ... For me living on my own was a distater and I am actually unable( long story some of you know) ... Mom gets a "caretaker " I get a place for me and the kids for less than it would be otherwise///

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's wrong at all. not saying that because I am almost 21.
if you help around the house, pay the rent, do your share, etc..of course I help a lot with our 6 pets that's how it should be imo.

I don't see a problem with it. Of course I do all of that except pay the rent as I am looking for a job, it just depends on the parents you have.
plus, some kids have a hard time moving out, because they just simply don't want to leave and that's fine IMO. it depends on the children if they want to go move out or stay and their parents until they get on their feet.. they have to be supportive of that. they don't exactly have to be supportive of that especially if their kid causes trouble in the home and always gets in to trouble and what not like has parties without the parents' permission or doesn't do their share of what they should be doing. of course this is all just my honest to dog opinion.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XangelicxnekoX

Oh I cook and clean and hold up my share!
Im even scounting out for job.
Im just saying that it feels like kids my age jump out there on their own
"just to get away from the 'rents" w/out really knowing what responsibility is, i.e paying bills.
I just want to build a stronger foundation before tackling the world bymyself
Haha, with my parents and I it was a "you can't fire me, I quit" situation. The expectation was for me to leave (or be pushed from) the nest at 18, and by the time i turned 18....well, let's just say I was packed several weeks in advance. But that's the mindset I grew up in, and was raised accordingly and do perfectly well all on my own, and I'm proud of that.

But, we're all different and with the 10 or so people who have posted on this thread, you have 10 or so different backgrounds. To each his or her own, provided he/she can br productive members of society!

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm 21 and I still live with my mom. I haven't been able to afford anything really. I just decided to go back to school so I will still live at home a few more years. Me and my boyfriend have been together for four years and she lets him live here so that is cool. I help pay for food, so that is kind of my rent.
After I get out of school and when my boyfriend finishes school, then we will be able to get married and have our own house.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
I think your very wise,the last thing a young person needs is to be pushed out the door by their parents.
If you are happy still being at home and there is no problems at home them why not?

I'm sure your parents want the best for you,and if that means staying at home for however long and saving up and not rushing into the first relationship you come across,then I think that would make any parent happy.
Just remember your parents need their own space too now and again

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's fine. I think I had almost the same thoughts as you on it. I didn't leave till I got married, which was actually just before turning 21, but if I hadn't I'd have stayed till I got 'settled' in a good job.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whilst living at home isnt ideal for me, I am lucky as I have the coolest parents.

For my birthday this year (as they done most years) they let me throw a huge party and not only that, they paid for all the food, drink and then cleaned up the mess afterwards

I know how lucky I am that my parents are very easy going and let me have a lot of freedom.

There is no way I could afford to move out yet, so them being so great makes things a lot easier.

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I left my family at age 13 to come to America, so I really don't have any idea what to feel about this issue......

I think I would feel safer living with my parents if I were unmarried and the financial help would help me save money for my future house.Rent is such a waste of money and having cats prevent me from moving to places I really want.

My dad is a polygamist, so I cannot ever live with my family nowadays and be involved in the daily arguments (Whoever thinks that being a polygamist would get you laid more is an idiot....with two wives, nobody gets laid.
)

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's wrong to live with your parents, and sometimes circumstances necessitate moving back in for a while, but it's pretty much a personal thing. Personally, I wouldn't have gone back to my parents for love nor money after leaving to go to university. Once I'd lived on my own I could never have accepted the restrictions that would have come with living at home again. I also think it's hard to grow up if you live with your parents as an adult since you're always a child to your parents (a friend of mine has her parents living with her temporarily as they are moving into a new house near her, and she got chastised by her mother for being up late one night on the computer - my friend is 36 years old!). I think it's good to be independent and learn how to make ends meet when you havent much money - it's character building!

beatrix426

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I moved in with my fiance a little bit before I turned 21 and now we're married but I don't think I would have moved out on my own. Pretty much all my freinds..who are all now 22 are still living at home and I don't think it's weird at all. My advice though is to SAVE SAVE SAVE so once you do move out you'll have enough money to buy a house. Much better than wasting your money on rent.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay when I was 18 I moved out on my own and then I got married at 22 and it didn't work out ended very badly. Well I moved to TN for a bit and was staying with my mother and was paying her $600 a month in rent plus my own food. Well I was pregnant at the time and I had a miscarriage, and I went into denial and I had to come back home, my dad raised me. And now I am staying here helping dad out with bills because we recently found out he's a diabetic and he needs more help around the place. So I think it depends on the circumstances.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved out when I was 19. Let's just say it's had it's ups and downs.

As for living with your parents after 21, I'd say as long as you aren't taking advantage of the situation, and you and your parents are on the same page as to how the relationship works (paying rent, cleaning, buying your own food) then you should be fine.