I might get my own dog for graduation!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the pet shop where I work, the owners are breeders, and they have a standard poodle that just had eight little puppies on Thursday night. My mom and I went to their shop in a town that's about 30 minutes away, and the owner's husband was there, so mom was asking him if he already had most of them sold, and he said no. We had been talking about what I wanted for my "graduation present" since I'll be graduating in May 2007, and I told her that I really liked their poodle, and would kind of like to have one of the puppies since I'll probably be moving out shortly after graduation. She was asking him how much they were, and telling him that I wanted one for my grad present. She really likes her, too, and we stopped to let her see the puppies on the way home. I don't know if I'm just getting way ahead of myself, but I have a good feeling that she may end up letting me have one!

This is a picture of mommy..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At first when I read "pet shop" I was gonna say "NO!!!!!" But I see the owners are breeders (I do hope they do not sell their dogs in the pet shop).

Standards are cool (only size of poodle I'd consider as I really do not like poodles). I worked pt at a boarding place that had 2 standard black poodles and at least they act like dogs

Anyway, be sure you check with the owners if their dogs have clearances and are tested for any genetic problems. Being large dogs, they may have problems with hip displysia. Also be sure to neuter/spay the pup by 6 months for a happier/healthier dog. And be sure you get the pup into obedience training when young - they grow fast

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Goldenkitty about the pet shop thing....That was my first thought too....Hopefully, its just a pet retail shop and they don't sell animals there.

ANd yes, ask for a contract from the breeders and make sure the parents have clearances for the sire and dam in the following areas (common problems for Standards)
Hips for hip joint dysplasia (HD)
Skin for sebaceous adenitis (SA)
Eyes for progressive retinal atrophy (PRA) and the other 21 inherited eye abnormalities found in poodles such as juvenile cataracts, entropion, ectropion, etc.

as well as Von Willebrand's and Addison's if there is a history...

Another thing is....You say you are just graduating and moving out on your own....Many apartments/rentals do not allow dogs or pets and they are very often very difficult to find. It may be a good idea to look into pet friendly housing now and see what your options are!

And Congrats on the graduation!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I was not aware of all the problems in standard poodles. ONE of the biggest reasons why its unhealthy to be breeding "labradoodles" - Labs also have to have clearance with eyes and hips (OFA certified). So genetically its not a good thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Wow, I was not aware of all the problems in standard poodles.
I wasn't either..
I'd still really like one, though.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its mainly as GoldenKitty said...the hips and the eye tests as most important.
This is for most breeding pairs. Some breeders just do hips and eye clearance but if there is a history of a common disease (For dobes, its Von Willebrand's also for instance), then I would think a good breeder would test...

The point is that a good breeder will do these screenings.
A BYB breeder won't test at all and will just breed two dogs indiscriminately..

(like the friend of a friend I know who bought her dog a few years ago from a pet store and is now in the process of getting another dog from a pet store so they can breed........ARGHHHHHHH!!!)

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww.... poodles

I had one growing up, she was the best little thing in the world, we had her for 17 years, until we had to put her to sleep beacuse of old age (eye/hearing/potty problems).

Someday I want another one, they really are great pets

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All breeds have some problems they are more likely to get then others. Just get a few books or research on the internet all you can about them and remember to have it fixed when it is, well there is a lot of debate on when to alter dogs, but at some point at least.

That is cool you are getting a dog though. I would like one of my own someday.

eagleeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love both Standard and Miniature Poodles (we had a wonderful mini when I was a kid). I agree with the previous posters about the pet shop pups -- definitely NOT the best place to get a quality dog of any breed. Here's a great book by Michelle Welton that I recommend you read between now and next May. It'll help you select the breed that's suited to your lifestyle and tell you how to select a reputable breeder from which to purchase a pup:

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/

In addition to the health questions, I would also ask the breeder about any titles that the pups' parents have:

**confirmation, which is the "beauty contest" portion of dog shows. Quality dogs are bred to a standard recognized by the major kennel club(s). Dogs coming from sloppy breeders usually don't conform to the standard.
**performance, which is the activities that the breeder participates in with his dogs. This includes obedience, agility, tracking, service dog activities, therapy dog work, etc. You want to buy from a breeder that actually does something with his dogs -- other than just breed them.
**temperament, the personality of the dog. You want to make sure that the dog acts the way it should according to the breed standard. The following or equivalent tests are ones that a Standard Poodle should be able to pass easily: Canine Good Citizen (CGC), Therapy Dogs International (TDI), and TT (temperament tested).

Meet both dam and sire of the pups if at all possible and make sure you're happy with their confirmation and temperament. If you don't like the parents, don't buy a pup. If you or your parents are going to spend the money to buy a dog, do your research to find the best poodle you can. Be prepared to wait for a litter of quality pups. Most breeders will have both "show quality" and "pet quality" dogs in a litter. Pet quality pups usually have some minor flaw that will keep them from winning ribbons in the show ring. If you don't want to actually show your dog in the ring, get a pet quality pup. They should have temperaments that are just as good as the show quality dogs.

I've found that going to local dog shows has given me insight into how the various breeds are supposed to look and behave. Plus, it's great fun.

You have other options than purchasing a dog from a breeder. You could look into adopting a poodle from a breed rescue or shelter. There are many fine pups and adult dogs that desperately need homes.

Good luck!