Question regarding the mucous plug

perfectfit1961

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat who is close to delivery in her pregnancy.
This morning while stroking her I noticed that she had a
mucousy discharge from her vagina still stuck to her fur.
It had blood in it.
I do not know when it came out of her. It could have been last night or early this morning. When I wake up every morning and open my bedroom door
she greets me and enjoys getting petted for the better part of an hour. It was then that I found the plug.
I cleaned it off her gently with a teatowel I had nearby and she didn't seem to mind purring the whole time.

If this was indeed her mucous plug that had come out when can I expect labour to begin?

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i'm pretty sure within the next few days... could be today, could be tomarrow. just watch for labor signs (purring, paniting, contracting) and keep us updated and make sure to get mom spayed when the kittens are weaned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

perfectfit1961

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well she is *always* purring around me, even when she wasn't pregnant She is a very affectionate loving cat...towards me anyway.
I won't look for the purring but I will watch her closely for panting and contractions.
The kittens are vigorously moving, as they generally have, throughout her later pregnancy so I know they are fine.

Thanks for the advice. She will be getting spayed just as soon as the kittens are weaned.

Edit: I want to add that her name is Furball Kitty. I just call her Furball. She is 1 year old
and I will post some photos of her as soon as I can.

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i cant wait to see pictures. i've noticed that the purring is almost a painful purring. like you can tell its just not a normal purr.. but hey, my cat never purrs so i guess i could just tell.
good luck and get your camera ready! we love pictures on this site! (BTW welcome to TCS)

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by perfectfit1961

Thanks for the advice. She will be getting spayed just as soon as the kittens are weaned.

Edit: I want to add that her name is Furball Kitty. I just call her Furball. She is 1 year old
and I will post some photos of her as soon as I can.
Welcome to TCS...just make sure that mom is kept strictly indoors and away from intact males until she is spayed. Cats can become pregnant again as early as a few days after giving birth.

Katie

perfectfit1961

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll make sure Furball is kept in as soon as the babies are born.

Things seem to be progressing fine. There has been a steady amount of discharge coming from her vagina. I cannot tell what it looks like as her fur is black but there is no odour I can detect. She is grooming her genital area frequently, eating well, using her litterbox as needed, sleeping in her favourite spots of the house,and using my chest as a rest stop.

Her purring is becoming slightly louder and she is overly affectionate and wants extra attention from me. She bonded with me as a kitten as soon as we got her. When she was tiny her favourite place to lie next to me was on my nightstand just behind my lamp. For the last few weeks it is on my chest while I watch tv.

I guess the kitten watch is on now and I will keep you all updated.

bluebells belly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had her kittens within 4 hours of losing the mucous plug. Keep a close eye on her. My cat suddenly started pushing after a couple of contractions. Shut your windows and doors so she can't creep out. Hopefully you've sorted out her bed, get some towels, dental floss and scissors they were all required when my cat had her kittens ( had to cut 4 out of 6 cords). Good luck and keep us posted!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll make sure Furball is kept in as soon as the babies are born.
If she is close to delivery...I would actually start keeping her inside now. That way..you don't risk her having her kittens outdoors.

Katie

perfectfit1961

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am keeping her inside the house now. Nothing yet but she is sticking close to me. I don't know how I will get a shower today.

perfectfit1961

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well she has had 2 so far today. She had the first one at 12:23 pm and then the second one at 12:45 . Now everything has seemed to stop but there are still kittens in there. I felt them moving. I hope this is normal for cats.

perfectfit1961

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by JESSIEnKITTY

how is she doing now? anymore kittens?
Yes. Now there are 5. I don't know if she will have any more but she looks pretty relaxed.