Time to adopt?

tunaqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this is the correct forum for this question, but anywhoodles---

As some of you know, I lost Misty to a brain tumor last month. His little bro, Pyewackett, has not been his 100% self since then, he's not sick or anything he's just a little lonely for his buddy. I am thinking about adopting another cat/kitten to help fill the empty space where my Misty used to be but I'm unsure of when it's a good time to do so. Pye has always been surrounded by brothers & sisters all of his life, it's only recently he's been so alone. (his sisters had to move away with my old roommate)
I've increased his playtime and I try to give him extra attention but I know he's still wondering "where's everybody at?" He meows and looks all over the place for his playmates even now.
I know I could never ever replace Misty, he was unique and a dear member of the family for many many years. Do you think a month is too soon to adopt another kitty? Part of me thinks it would be better to adopt sooner rather than later, before Pyewackett gets used to being a loner. The other part of me feels a little guilty for bringing in a new cat so soon. I'm still grieving for Misty.
When is the right time to adopt? Should I wait a while longer or just do it? I had planned on visiting some shelters today to see if anyone there "picks" me. Any advice/suggestions would be helpful.

nelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can't really replace your Misty, and you will still grieve and miss him - but your little Pye would probably do well with a buddy now.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nelle

You can't really replace your Misty, and you will still grieve and miss him - but your little Pye would probably do well with a buddy now.
I agree. Make sure to take time over the introduction so that everybody settles in ok.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, it sounds as though you need another kitty. You'd be amazed at how it helps the healing process as well. It's not replacing your other kitty, it's just adding another friend to your life.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Yup, it sounds as though you need another kitty. You'd be amazed at how it helps the healing process as well. It's not replacing your other kitty, it's just adding another friend to your life.
think of it as getting a companion for Pye, not yourself. it'll help him with his grief, & it'll help you, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tunaqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I just got back from a shelter and spent an hour with all of those wonderful cats & kittens. I didn't bring one home but maybe next time I will. There were SO many!

One smokey gray LH male tried to hide in my purse and go home with me
so if he's not adopted today I may go back and take a second look at him on monday. One of the ladies that works there said he doesn't seem to like anybody, I was the first person he had warmed up to but I don't know how true that is. He was a big poofy love sponge, nose kisses and everything. (he did try to take a swipe at her though while I was there)

Yeah, maybe it's the right thing to do and the right time....if it makes Pye a happy puddy, then I'll be happier too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tunaqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

Hey neighbor!

Dh goes kayaking down there around the myakka.....Maybe sometime soon we can have a TCS florida meet-up?
A meetup sounds like fun! I've never done the kayak thing, too a'scared of gators