'Crude' Protein - What does this mean?

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was investigating and i found that some companies list their Guaranteed Analysis as lets say:

Crude Protein not less than 34%
Crude Fat not less than 21%
Crude Fiber not more than 2.5%

Notice the 'Crude' part infront of protein, fat and fibre.

Now i looked up the word 'crude', and the dictionary said: "Being in an unrefined or natural state; raw"

Well, cat food is refined so this is not a true percentage of what is in the product you buy. Its only the percentage before it becomes refined and pressed into little kibbles.

this is just my guess. could someone please clarify this for me.

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Crude protein is the minimum amount of protein supplied by the food (usually manufacturers keep close to this). Unfortunately it doesn't state the digestibility of that protein (plant vs. animal protein, etc).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DreamingRecover

I was investigating and i found that some companies list their Guaranteed Analysis as lets say:

Crude Protein not less than 34%
Crude Fat not less than 21%
Crude Fiber not more than 2.5%

Notice the 'Crude' part infront of protein, fat and fibre.

Now i looked up the word 'crude', and the dictionary said: "Being in an unrefined or natural state; raw"

Well, cat food is refined so this is not a true percentage of what is in the product you buy. Its only the percentage before it becomes refined and pressed into little kibbles.

this is just my guess. could someone please clarify this for me.
Your reserch is correct things are put on labels in the raw form, it is allowed by AFFCO ... Jlphilli and I agree we wish is was digestabilty