Anyone else here with a snake and a cat?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm planning on getting a snake in the next week or so [it will probably be a corn snake] and I have a question for those with snakes and cats: do your cat(s) ever harass/annoy/scare the snake? And if they do, how do you get the cat to stop harassing the snake?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I have a 3 foot ball python. I had to make a custom lid (well my dad did for me) from a huge chunk of wood becuase my cats would sit on top the tank and rip the lid off. He escaped a half a dozen times but I would usually find that he made his way to the windowsill and stretched out in the sun.

But no they don't harass the snake. I don't thinks snakes see all that well, I think they rely on smell. So he never really paid much attention to the cats. I don't know... It's not like we are talking cats and rabbits or something here, it's not like a cat and a snake can interact or anything so just keep it in the tank unless you are holding or feeding it and it doesn't really matter.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had cats with a ribbon snake. They didn't bother it a bit - may have been curious at first, but really ignored it for the most part.

I would not let them have physical contact tho. I had one cat that would "attack" a fake rubber snake if put in front of her on the floor (not in a cage) and know that if she got the chance, she'd have physically attacked a live snake and killed it.

So as long as the snake is confined and not loose, you should be ok. BTW what color cornsnake? Normal, or albino?

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I once had a ball python and two cats. Come to think of it, they never once were interested in the snakes. (we had a red tailed boa too.) I don't ever remember them even going near the cages. They never sat on the cages or anything. Even when one of the snakes went missing, the cats never touched it or bothered with it, and the snake left them well alone. I think as long as you keep the snake contained other than the times you take it out to hold it, all should be fine.

animal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we have a rat snake and five cats and the only thing the cats have ever done is sit on top of the tank as the heat bulb keeps them warm
..but we never really let the cats near when we get the snake out

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

BTW what color cornsnake? Normal, or albino?
Most likely normal, but I like the albino ones too.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pass on the corn snakes. go for a ball python. they get about 3.5ft, very good temperment and the morphs are just amazing.

I have two ball pythons one in a 55gallon tank and one in a plastic storage bin. The cat sits on top of the plastic bin since he has no idea whats inside nor does he care.

The only time you might ever run into a problem is when you take your snake out and your cats around. snakes have poor eye sight like somone earlier said. if your cat is coming close moving fast the snake might react to that. not in a positive way. We make it as hard as possible for our cats to get close to your 55gallon tank since in ball pythons they can be stressed easily, the last thing we want is the cat taunting him.

If your really interested in getting a snake go for a ball
I would love to tell you all about them hehehahaha!
Also really look into the types of enclouser you want and what saftey percautions you might need to make.

Snakes are amazing creatures and are a great pet and hobby to get into!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The balls only get 3.5 feet? I thought pythons grew to be 10+ feet. I've seen huge ones.

I like the cornsnakes, rat snakes and ribbon snakes - about 4-5 feet of snake is fine with me. I've handled snakes from the size of baby king snakes to 17 ft pythons

Just looked it up - article says they can get 4-5 feet in length

jessix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have had our Boa Constrictor ( more commonly known as Red Tailed Boa ) for about a month now, and Twitch has never even bothered with the tank.
She seems to know to stay away from him when we have him out. He is 4 feet long, and only a youngin, so... I guess its better she learns now.

mellanie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also have a ball python with cats. The cats will sit on top of the tank and watch her, she will climb to the top and 'sniff' them with her tongue. Neither cats nor snake get stressed out. I do however ban the cats from the room while feeding to keep her 'privacy'. (you other ball people know what I mean
)

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mellanie

I also have a ball python with cats. The cats will sit on top of the tank and watch her, she will climb to the top and 'sniff' them with her tongue. Neither cats nor snake get stressed out. I do however ban the cats from the room while feeding to keep her 'privacy'. (you other ball people know what I mean
)
my male bp khan always looks at me...looks around (like hmm is it safe to eat?) and then starts to take in the mouse. It always makes me laugh. It reminds me of those old cartoon where the cat gets a dead fish out of the dumpster and then sets up a table and ties a little napkin around its neck...getting all ready to eat. Ha!

Lola just starts to eat her rat, she wouldnt care if I was holding her..when she wants to eat..she really goes for it.