Southern California people...I need to find Felix a new home

helloevo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got Felix (doesn't really know his name yet) less than two months ago, and he's a little less than 5 months of age. He's freaking awesome, he's REALLY energetic, too curious for his own good, and loves to play and climb stuff. I just found out I'm gonna be living in a dorm room and they don't allow pets, which really sucks because I just got him
The buyer cannot let him go outside, because I want him to live a nice and happy life
It would be better if there is another cat in the house to keep him company. I'm not looking to make a profit off of him, I got him for 800 (actually 940 including shipping) so that's how much I'm going to sell him for, and it will include everything I have; all of his toys, food, I have very little litter left but I'll give what I have, his bed, a little cage he was shipped in (pet taxi) and a scratcher for him. He has a GREAT coat, some nice open rosettes, and his eyes are yellow and green. I'll take whatever kind of pictures you request, so I'll just post these for now.

Here he is chowing down like mad on some food

Here he is sleeping with my cousin

Action shot

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous! I hope you find a wonderful loving family to take in your beautiful baby

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, this is what I currently do for a living. I take about 80 calls a day asking me to find homes for kitties. So I sincerely apologize if this sounds harsh.

When you take in a cat, you are taking on a 15-20 year committment. Did you not consider an alternative to living in a dorm? Did you somehow not know 2 months ago that you would be going to school? These are the really hard things I have to say to people, but unfortunately, it has to be said. I would strongly recommend - and I really hate to say this to people but I'm used to it at this point - that you not adopt any more animals in the future without considering that this is a defenseless, innocent creature who unconditionally and totally depends on you.

That being said, what you need to find is a foster home. Ask family, ask friends, call local groups...inquire if anyone can take this cat temporarily until you can find a suitable situation for him to live with you in. Are you required to live in the dorm? For how long? Can you just do this semester and then find yourself a nice little pet-friendly studio apartment? Remember, when you adopted this cat, you comitted yourself to him for his entire lifetime, not just until your life changed.

Will the breeder who shipped him to you take him back? Have you contacted a bengal rescue (although, I will caution you, they're pretty much constantly begging for more foster homes and you'll probably get an angry earful from them)? Are you prepared to extensively screen potential adopters? It's far from an easy process as 3-4 million pets are exterminated in shelters every year.

Like i said, sorry to come across as being harsh, but this is what I do everyday for 6 hours. It's a huge responsibility, taking on an animal, and it's our job as their guardians to accomodate them despite life changes.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plus you didn't mention if he has had all his shots, his age, has he been dewormed and most importantly has he been neutered? I would never dream of paying that much for an unneutered cat. But that is just me personally. Plus it is your responsibility to have it done before rehoming him unless you know the person he goes to and you can call and make sure they do it.

I am also curious as to how you could have dropped almost $1000 on a cat, 2 months before school, without first looking in to where you would have to be living and if the cat could come? I mean, that is a LOT of money for an animal that you committed to being responsible for for the rest of its life and now you are selling him? Is there no other housing options for you?

Have you contacted the breeder? I cannot see a responsible breeder selling a cat to a student who would be leaving in a few months for school, someone under 18 too.

I was jsut reading back through some of your first posts when you were counting down the days until his arrival. How can you just abandon him after only 2 months and not find a different housing situation? He is finally settling in and loving you as his caregiver and you are just going to give him up like that?[/quote]

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in Los Angeles, in a pet friendly building. Would you consider getting an apartment in a building like I live in? I would love to take him, but I already have 2 Bengal's and 2 Siamese, so I just can't do it. It breaks my heart that you would give this beautiful kitten up. There are so many more affordable opportunities, where you would be able to keep this beauitful boy.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Ok, this is what I currently do for a living. I take about 80 calls a day asking me to find homes for kitties. So I sincerely apologize if this sounds harsh.

When you take in a cat, you are taking on a 15-20 year committment. Did you not consider an alternative to living in a dorm? Did you somehow not know 2 months ago that you would be going to school? These are the really hard things I have to say to people, but unfortunately, it has to be said. I would strongly recommend - and I really hate to say this to people but I'm used to it at this point - that you not adopt any more animals in the future without considering that this is a defenseless, innocent creature who unconditionally and totally depends on you.

That being said, what you need to find is a foster home. Ask family, ask friends, call local groups...inquire if anyone can take this cat temporarily until you can find a suitable situation for him to live with you in. Are you required to live in the dorm? For how long? Can you just do this semester and then find yourself a nice little pet-friendly studio apartment? Remember, when you adopted this cat, you comitted yourself to him for his entire lifetime, not just until your life changed.

Will the breeder who shipped him to you take him back? Have you contacted a bengal rescue (although, I will caution you, they're pretty much constantly begging for more foster homes and you'll probably get an angry earful from them)? Are you prepared to extensively screen potential adopters? It's far from an easy process as 3-4 million pets are exterminated in shelters every year.

Like i said, sorry to come across as being harsh, but this is what I do everyday for 6 hours. It's a huge responsibility, taking on an animal, and it's our job as their guardians to accomodate them despite life changes.
Allie
That isnt as HARSH as what came to my mind...

Please follow some of what Allie said she knows what she is talking about... When I was in college I had to get a PET freindly apartment since I had a large dog ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helloevo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My dad just told me about it, and I tried every way imaginable to try and keep him. I'm gonna be gone for a while and only going to be able to visit like once a month. The only person who would take care of him is my mom but se lives too far away to ship him.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HelloEvo

My dad just told me about it, and I tried every way imaginable to try and keep him. I'm gonna be gone for a while and only going to be able to visit like once a month. The only person who would take care of him is my mom but se lives too far away to ship him.
Your dad just told you about what? Did you not know 2 months ago that you would be attending school? School takes planning and I would think more then 2 months notice in advance. Did your dad not mention it at all when you told him you were buying an $800 cat?

If you really cannot keep him then you need to get him back to the breeder.

helloevo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Your dad just told you about what? Did you not know 2 months ago that you would be attending school? School takes planning and I would think more then 2 months notice in advance. Did your dad not mention it at all when you told him you were buying an $800 cat?

If you really cannot keep him then you need to get him back to the breeder so she can find someone responsible to care for him like she should have done in the first place.
I'm sorry but I do not need to defend myself. Some things happen in life that you just can't change. I would like to request that only people who are interested in felix, or want more pictures reply in this thread, otherwise I would greatly appreciate it if a mod deletes this thread.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think all a lot of us are asking, is would you consider not living in the dorm, and instead move into a pet friendly apartment. I'm not coming down on you. I just hate to see you give up such a beautiful cat. However, if you're bound and determined to, I'll ask around and see if anyone is interested in buying him. Are you in the Los Angeles area? Are you flexible on price, or is the price you're asking "firm"?

helloevo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I think all a lot of us are asking, is would you consider not living in the dorm, and instead move into a pet friendly apartment. I'm not coming down on you. I just hate to see you give up such a beautiful cat. However, if you're bound and determined to, I'll ask around and see if anyone is interested in buying him. Are you in the Los Angeles area? Are you flexible on price, or is the price you're asking "firm"?
Sorry if I'm coming across as mean or angry, it's just that this whole frustrating enough already, if you know what I mean. If I move into an apartment, the only way I'm going to be able to afford it is if I get a job, now if I get a job I'll be gone too many hours a day to give him the attention he needs and deserves, so that's not going to be a very good choice either. Like I've said, I've really tried everything. Yeah, I live in the Los Angeles area, Pasadena to be exact, I would really really appreciate it if you could ask around for me.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I deleted that last part, it was a little harsh but I deal with this type of thing all the time as well and I am tired of hearing the same excuses that can totally be avoided or corrected you know? But the rest of my questions I am still curious about? We are all just concerned for your poor cat. That's all.

Seriously though, have you talked to the breeder? You may actually be required to return him.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HelloEvo

I'm sorry but I do not need to defend myself. Some things happen in life that you just can't change. I would like to request that only people who are interested in felix, or want more pictures reply in this thread, otherwise I would greatly appreciate it if a mod deletes this thread.
I also think that for the sake of your cat you do need to defend yourself
No one is attacking you we just want to know how this can be happening and if it can be avoided?

helloevo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Ok I deleted that last part, it was a little harsh but I deal with this type of thing all the time as well and I am tired of hearing the same excuses that can totally be avoided or corrected you know? But the rest of my questions I am still curious about? We are all just concerned for your poor cat. That's all.

Seriously though, have you talked to the breeder? You may actually be required to return him.
I explained the situation to her in its entirety and she's going to help me find him a home, while I look as well.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a very sad situation.

I would really like to encourage you to not adopt or buy any animals in the future, unless you a) become 100% independent from your parents (I hate to say graduate from school, because there are many fantastic animal guardians and advocates in college, myself included) and b) really consider this as being a committment similar to that as having a child. Felix expects you to be there for him until he dies. This may be in like 18 years.

I also have to add, that if this breeder was decent in any way, he or she would have asked you about your future plans and would be more than willing to take Felix back.

As far as your mom being too far away...I would really encourage you to find a way to make it work. Can you drive out and meet her halfway? Sure, it'll be difficult and inconvenient, but that's sort of the tradeoff here.

helloevo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is a very sad situation.

I would really like to encourage you to not adopt or buy any animals in the future, unless you a) become 100% independent from your parents (I hate to say graduate from school, because there are many fantastic animal guardians and advocates in college, myself included) and b) really consider this as being a committment similar to that as having a child. Felix expects you to be there for him until he dies. This may be in like 18 years.

I also have to add, that if this breeder was decent in any way, he or she would have asked you about your future plans and would be more than willing to take Felix back.

As far as your mom being too far away...I would really encourage you to find a way to make it work. Can you drive out and meet her halfway? Sure, it'll be difficult and inconvenient, but that's sort of the tradeoff here.
I understand what you are saying, but it's also very sad that things are being said without understanding the full situation. I didn't know I would be going to this school, I didn't know I would be living in a dorm. I didn't know these changes in my life would happen, I'm just trying to find a good home for Felix right now...that's it. My mother lives 18 hours away by plane, so there will be no meeting of any sort.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nonetheless, your unwillingness to do whatever it takes to keep Felix demonstrates to me, and I am a trained counselor for one of this country's most innovative and progressive animal rescue organizations, that you are simply not ready for this type of committment and may never be. Instead of asking us for help on how to keep your cat and taking some of our (albeit drastic) suggestions, you insist upon giving this cat away. 17 is awfully young to have adopted a cat in the first place. I really hate to age-profile because it's always irritated me (I'm only 21 and adopted my first cat at 18), but I have to ask- who is you guardian now? You're legally too young to live on your own unless you're an emancipated minor. Can that person take care of Felix? I guess what I'm saying is that there are a lotof ways around this. I have my training, Jen is also an experienced rescuer, Sharky knows cats also....you're getting good and even professional advice, for free!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that given that LittleEvo paid so much money for such a beautiful boy who she obviously loves, she wouldn't be giving him away unless she absolutely had to. I have no doubt that she wouldn't have spent that much money if she had any idea she couldn't keep him!

And yes it's sad to have to rehome your cat, but it's a fact of life. Circumstances change. Cats are very adaptable, and are rehomed for a reason, and I think generally get more love and attention in their new home.

People don't generally get a cat and plan to give it away, but sometimes you just can't help where life takes you.

If everyone had to sign an agreement saying that they will definitely be able to keep the cat for at least 18 years even if they have children who develop severe allergies, even if they lose their job and can't afford to keep it, even if they discover they have to live somewhere that can't take cats and they have no choice, even if they realise at some point in their life, they're no longer home enough to give the cat enough attention, then NOBODY would adopt cats, and you'd be stuck with even more cats in shelters.

Come on guys, be realistic.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I think that given that LittleEvo paid so much money for such a beautiful boy who she obviously loves, she wouldn't be giving him away unless she absolutely had to. I have no doubt that she wouldn't have spent that much money if she had any idea she couldn't keep him!

And yes it's sad to have to rehome your cat, but it's a fact of life. Circumstances change. Cats are very adaptable, and are rehomed for a reason, and I think generally get more love and attention in their new home.

People don't generally get a cat and plan to give it away, but sometimes you just can't help where life takes you.

If everyone had to sign an agreement saying that they will definitely be able to keep the cat for at least 18 years even if they have children who develop severe allergies, even if they lose their job and can't afford to keep it, even if they discover they have to live somewhere that can't take cats and they have no choice, even if they realise at some point in their life, they're no longer home enough to give the cat enough attention, then NOBODY would adopt cats, and you'd be stuck with even more cats in shelters.

Come on guys, be realistic.
Honey, I don't want to turn this into a debate, but I literally sit at a desk all day and take calls from people who want to rehome (or as I call it "dump") thier cats.

I've moved 3 times in 3 years, I'm a student, I work 2 jobs, 6 days a week, take classes, I've been out of the country for a month, I've been totally broke...and I've still managed to keep my cats. All I need to do is develop allergies and have a baby and I'll have the complete set of common excuses. I do have 1 soc cat, 1 special meds cat and one who poops on the floor for no apparent reason. And they're still here.

Trust me, it's irresponsible to give up cats in anything but the most DIRE of circumstances. Moving is not dire. Allergies are not dire. Peeing on the floor is not dire, going to school is not dire. These are NORMAL circumstances and many pet owners have figured out how to take these normal and unextraordinary cirumstances in stride. You wouldn't give up your kid.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But the reality is that people don't see cats as kids (not all of us anyway!).