TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Southern California people...I need to find Felix a new home
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Southern California people...I need to find Felix a new home - Page 3

post #61 of 89
Not to get too postmodern on you guys, but this thread is now becoming off topic on the subject of becoming off topic.

Further, I think - though I could be wrong - that Jessienkitty's comment about people being 'bad for it on this site' (paraphrased) was to do with HelloEvo's comment that he didn't need lectures and guilt trips - not about going off-roading at all.
post #62 of 89
Ya that sounds right, I took it the other way when I read it first off.
post #63 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satai View Post
Not to get too postmodern on you guys, but this thread is now becoming off topic on the subject of becoming off topic.

Further, I think - though I could be wrong - that Jessienkitty's comment about people being 'bad for it on this site' (paraphrased) was to do with HelloEvo's comment that he didn't need lectures and guilt trips - not about going off-roading at all.
you are correct .

how is finding Felix's home going? any new "developments" yet?
post #64 of 89
I actually do know of someone who has been longing for a Bengal...my mom's cousin...let me ask. She's here in Colorado, but you never know.
post #65 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloEvo View Post
Felix was altered when I got him, the buyer and adoptee will also be signing a contract ensuring that Felix will be cared for properly and not abused or turned into a lab test.
Thanks for the info, so, the breeder did neuter him, that's great.
post #66 of 89
Will the breeder not take him back? I know it was mentioned in an earlier post that the breeder was helping to look for a new home, but most breeders would want to take back a kitten that a new owner could no longer keep, rather than have the owner rehome him.

I think it's best to ask for a small adoption fee and accept that you will make a loss from buying him. If you are only prepared to consider homes with those who can afford a pure bred bengal, then you are reducing his chances of finding a new home asap. The priority has to be finding him a good home, not being re-imbursed for what you originally paid.
post #67 of 89
gees people things happen. I meen I don't agree that someone should get rid of a cat if they get one but sometimes things happen. Maybe this person didnt anticipate not beeing able to keep the cat. You don't really know. Maybe they thought they could offord to keep the cat and they made a misake and can't. They are not here for a lecture this person is just here to try to find a good home for their cat.
I don't know I just don't feel it is affective to try to make people feel bad about a decision like that it only causes problems like fights. Most people don't just spend $900 on a cat just to give it away. Clearly this was not something they wanted to do.
It would be different if someone got a new cat once a year and got rid of it once they got sick of it.
post #68 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeHacker View Post
Well, I'm not a Foster home by any means, but if Evo can't find a home, in time, I can try fostering him for Evo, provided he and my cats get along. My Simba is a very Alpha cat little Bengal, but he's a sweetheart. He LOVES to play, and would probably enjoy an opportunity to have another high energy Bengal to play with. I would need to have Felix neutered, though, because I don't want any spraying going on in my house. So, if worse comes to worse, you can contact me about keeping Felix temporarily. I live in the Hollywood area.
I very possibly have a place for Felix, but these people can not pay $800 for a cat. Hope and I could probably figure out a way to get him here, but I need to find out how much you are willing to let him go to a good home.
post #69 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluchetta View Post
I very possibly have a place for Felix, but these people can not pay $800 for a cat. Hope and I could probably figure out a way to get him here, but I need to find out how much you are willing to let him go to a good home.
I could probably chip in a few bucks to help with transport if needed. Feel free to PM me if I can help.
post #70 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluchetta View Post
I very possibly have a place for Felix, but these people can not pay $800 for a cat. Hope and I could probably figure out a way to get him here, but I need to find out how much you are willing to let him go to a good home.
Yay! I guess it looks like Felix will have a happy home!
post #71 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Yay! I guess it looks like Felix will have a happy home!
I haven't heard from the OP yet. This is the son's family of my mom's cousin - but like I said, they would love a cat, but not at that price.
post #72 of 89
I guess I am getting ahead of myself there huh?
post #73 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I guess I am getting ahead of myself there huh?
Well, I hope not! But I get all anxious when I don't get answers right away. (I WANT IT NOW!!!)
post #74 of 89
Oh, I hope it works out for Felix.

After reading through this thread in it's entirety, I do feel terrible for HelloEvo...at his young age, life is unpredictable, and we have all had to make adjustments in our circumstances before fully entering into adulthood...the future is wide open, and opportunities arise. And realistically, there are feasible and reasonable situations where re-homing a pet is the best for both parties...for both the pet and the owner. As sad as it can be to hear of instances where a pet is adopted, only to be surrendered right away, it is often more sad for the owner to have to make that choice in the first place. I feel that HelloEvo wants to do the best thing for Felix, and I feel that decision was made out of love for the kitten...

I do feel that some of us were judging the situation rather harshly...only HelloEvo knows what he has to do to make the situation work. And as much as I love my own cats, and the level of dedication I have put forth into providing the best permanent home for them, I don't think it's fair to throw in the whole "you wouldn't give away your own children" argument. My human children come before EVERYTHING, including myself...there are many mothers (and fathers) on this site, and in the real world that could vouch for this...we would lay down our own lives for our children. I sincerely doubt that HelloEvo has children, nor do some of the individuals that were passing judgement...but one day if HelloEvo has children of his own, among others making comments on this thread, then they will see what I'm talking about. Abandoning human children and re-homing a pet are two different things. Laying that type of a guilt trip on someone who is trying to do the right thing by the animal is extreme, and unfair, but of course that is just my opinion.

With all of that being said, I do agree that HelloEvo needs to ask for FAR less than the $800 for Felix. This is just advice, but I would not ask any more for Felix than $150-200, supplies included. This is a reasonable adoption fee, and HelloEvo could tack shipping onto that, if necessary.

Just my $0.02!
post #75 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie130 View Post
Oh, I hope it works out for Felix.

After reading through this thread in it's entirety, I do feel terrible for HelloEvo...at his young age, life is unpredictable, and we have all had to make adjustments in our circumstances before fully entering into adulthood...the future is wide open, and opportunities arise. And realistically, there are feasible and reasonable situations where re-homing a pet is the best for both parties...for both the pet and the owner. As sad as it can be to hear of instances where a pet is adopted, only to be surrendered right away, it is often more sad for the owner to have to make that choice in the first place. I feel that HelloEvo wants to do the best thing for Felix, and I feel that decision was made out of love for the kitten...

I do feel that some of us were judging the situation rather harshly...only HelloEvo knows what he has to do to make the situation work. And as much as I love my own cats, and the level of dedication I have put forth into providing the best permanent home for them, I don't think it's fair to throw in the whole "you wouldn't give away your own children" argument. My human children come before EVERYTHING, including myself...there are many mothers (and fathers) on this site, and in the real world that could vouch for this...we would lay down our own lives for our children. I sincerely doubt that HelloEvo has children, nor do some of the individuals that were passing judgement...but one day if HelloEvo has children of his own, among others making comments on this thread, then they will see what I'm talking about. Abandoning human children and re-homing a pet are two different things. Laying that type of a guilt trip on someone who is trying to do the right thing by the animal is extreme, and unfair, but of course that is just my opinion.

With all of that being said, I do agree that HelloEvo needs to ask for FAR less than the $800 for Felix. This is just advice, but I would not ask any more for Felix than $150-200, supplies included. This is a reasonable adoption fee, and HelloEvo could tack shipping onto that, if necessary.

Just my $0.02!
I think the reason some of us are judging this situation rather harshly is because there are those of us out there considering the global implications surrounding rehoming a pet. We can so easily say "be nice to such-and-so because he's young and everyone finds themselves in these types of situations" and by saying that, we becoming enablers. We enable this kind of "throw away" society. This is a cat. This is not my semi-dosposable Sweish furniture that I toss out every time I have to pack up and go somewhere. This is a living breathing thing. And even if Felix DOES find a home, that's one more cat that dies on the street or in a shelter because of the aforementioned mentality that a pet family member is something less than a human being family member. Out of the hundreds of calls I take, I don't think there have been more than 3 or 4 when I thought that casting the animal off was "doing right by the animal". Especially when there are so many other options. If you would like to see a list of those options, all of which HelloEvo fought me on out convenience's sake, please refer to my very first post.
post #76 of 89
Thread Starter 
Hi all...Sorry I haven't been on in a couple of days, I've been on a pretty tight schedule. I noticed that I have some private messages, I'll take a look at them as soon as I'm done with this post.There is a lady that is interested in Felix, I will keep you guys updated as to how that goes, I should find out very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessrampant View Post
I think the reason some of us are judging this situation rather harshly is because there are those of us out there considering the global implications surrounding rehoming a pet. We can so easily say "be nice to such-and-so because he's young and everyone finds themselves in these types of situations" and by saying that, we becoming enablers. We enable this kind of "throw away" society. This is a cat. This is not my semi-dosposable Sweish furniture that I toss out every time I have to pack up and go somewhere. This is a living breathing thing.
I really don't want to start an arguement, and it might seem that way because this is the internet and text is misinterpreted rather easily. That being said, I'm not "throwing away" anything. If I was going to throw Felix away, I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing right now. I have actually TURNED DOWN a $900 offer from a lady because I asked her a couple of questions on the phone and by the way she answered them I could tell that he was going to live a not so great life. I have done A LOT for Felix, and when we part I'm going to do it the right way. Offers are coming, the only problem right now is finding the right home, despite what many of you have assumed, I'm not just going to "give him to the first person who pays up", but I'm quite sure that doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessrampant View Post
And even if Felix DOES find a home, that's one more cat that dies on the street or in a shelter because of the aforementioned mentality that a pet family member is something less than a human being family member.
I think you need to stop assuming that everything is going to happen the way you think it is. I'm not giving Felix to any random person who has money. They will be signing a contract that ensures that he will not be let outside unattended, and that he is properly cared for, and I WILL be checking up every now and then to make sure of that. I think you have this image in your head of how everything is going to be, but in reality, different things happen to different cats, so please, felix is not going to "die on the street"...I think you just need to relax a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessrampant View Post
Out of the hundreds of calls I take, I don't think there have been more than 3 or 4 when I thought that casting the animal off was "doing right by the animal".
You are right in saying that this is not the best option for Felix, HOWEVER, this is the best option for Felix in my current situation, and that is what's going to happen. I have gone over my options, this one works best for everyone (except me because I'm losing Felix). Now if the $800 is such a big deal, then I'm sorry, but it's not changing. For the past two months, it's been me and Felix, he's much more than just a cat, and I'm not just going to give him away...Now like I said, I'm not trying to start an arguement, but one thing I've learned in this crazy 17 years that I've been fortunate enough to live is that you're never going to please everyone. There will always be people who think they are right and you are wrong, but I'm just going to do what I'm going to do, and hope that at least some people agree with me, if not, then oh well, there's not much I can do.
post #77 of 89
I just think you need to rethink charging $800 FOR A CAT. Unless you are planning to sell him then call it what it is and might as well bump it up to $1000 and make some money off of him ya know You had a very nice offer a few posts previous of someone who may be interested, are you really going to stick to $800 if the perfect family comes along but doesn't have an immediate $800 to drop on a cat? We are not saying to give him away. But an adoption fee for your cat would be about $100-$200 max. It doesn't matter how much you put into him or spent on him, the fact of that matter is that you are charging so much money for a cat, but you usually don't break even when rehoming a cat. I mean, I have a purebred Himalayan, if I can't keep him should I charge $500 or whatever the going rate is for a Himmie? No he would simply be a cat who needs a home and I would charge a small adoption fee and screen for the best homes and all of that. I would love to get back some of the money on vet bills that I put into him but it ain't gonna happen because that is not how it works. I am broke and jobless right now and gee that money would be great.

So your cat is a Bengal, big deal. You already said you are going to screen people, check up on him, have them sign a contract, I would suggest taking Felix personally to the new family's home to check it all out and make sure it isn't full of mangy cats or something. But you are doing everything correctly and that is wonderful. If you drop the price then you will have a whole lot more people interested.

For example, I would love a Bengal, but if I saw a random person selling one for $800 I would turn away like the plague becuase it looks from the outside like you are just selling him to make some quick cash. Plus I can go to a rescue and find a bunch from people who bought one from a breeder and then dropped them off when they couldn't keep them at the shelter. And they will charge $100 or maybe a little more and screen homes and everything. I wouldn't pay $800 for a Bengal that is just from some random person who didn't breed the cat.

I don't know, I'm sorry we can go on all day going back and forth. The fact of the matter is that you are selling your cat not just simply finding him a new home because then you would be more open to lowering the price to something more reasonable and making him available to some great families who aren't crazy enough to spend so much on a cat. By reasonable I mean many of us are more experienced in rehoming cats and cat adoption and all that, in your case the cat would be $200 max. But at least you are screening new homes. So if someone really is crazy enough to pay $800 for a cat then so be it. Good luck.
post #78 of 89
Evo, my point is that there are two very grim statistics:

1. Only 20% of kittens born in this country find a home with people for life. THat's 2 out of 10. TWO.

2. Each year between 3-4 million companion animals are destroyed each year for no reason other than that they were cast-off either by a specific person or society.

With those two in mind, I simply don't think you (or basically 97% of all people in your situation with your solution) have an excuse to be rehoming this cat, no matter how much work you're going to do. And $800 is completely unreasonable...I'd have to agree with everything Jen has told you.

I hope that clarified why I feel so strongly about this. Clearly I'm not going to change your mid, but maybe now you'll think about it the next time you want to adopt an animal and you'll decide against it until you are 100% ready to give this kitten a home from cradle to grave.
post #79 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessrampant View Post
maybe now you'll think about it the next time you want to adopt an animal and you'll decide against it until you are 100% ready to give this kitten a home from cradle to grave.

There is no way you can guarantee having the ability to do that. As much as I love my cat, I can't guarantee that, because I have no idea what the future holds. Realistically, you can't guarantee that either.

In addition, the "you kill cats every time you rehome one" argument could go may ways.
post #80 of 89
Evo,

Sending you best wishes on rehoming Felix. I don't know the full extent of your emotional and financial situtation but I am sure that this is hard and you are doing everything in your capabilities. May Felix find his perfect forever home and may you recoup some of your purchase price. It may not be the entire amount but if so more power to you. Good luck on everything.

Tricia
post #81 of 89
HelloEvo, don't take this wrong. I volunteer at a small county shelter. For four wonderful years, we haven't had to euthanize because of overpopulation. This year, we had to. I was the one to choose those cats. It is all on my shoulders, and I cannot tell you how difficult that was for me. Many others here also volunteer at shelters and know the hearbreak of wonderful animals being pts because there aren't enough homes. That being said...

I really do hope that Felix can find a good home. If this lady doesn't work out, have you talked to kluchetta? I'm glad you are being so careful about finding a home for Felix. I do so hope you can find one where you are able to visit. I know it doesn't take long to fall in love with cats. Hopefully, sometimes in the future, you are able to be blessed by having another cat in your life. I know I am in college & I chose my college so that I could live at home so I didn't have to leave my kitties. That may not be an option for you, but it was(thankfully!) for me. I'm sorry you have to loose Felix, but I know someone out there can give him a wonderful home.
post #82 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042 View Post
There is no way you can guarantee having the ability to do that. As much as I love my cat, I can't guarantee that, because I have no idea what the future holds. Realistically, you can't guarantee that either.

In addition, the "you kill cats every time you rehome one" argument could go may ways.
I have absolutely no idea where I will be in one year from right now. I'm only 21 and getting ready to finish school...who knows where I'll be. But what I DO know is that I will do literally everything- short of being illegal -to keep my cats should my situation every change. I am 100% sure of that. All pet owners should be.

Every time you give up a cat, you're adding a cat to the 6-8 million homeless animals, half of which end up being euthanized each year. 50%...those aren't great odds. And even if you privately rehome the cat, which is WAAAAAY more preferable to putting a cat into the shelter system, that's one less home for a shelter cat.
post #83 of 89
Evo, I am hoping that you are able to find Felix a wonderful,loving, and permanent home.As for asking the $800 for him, as I said before you will MOST likely NOT get that for him.I know I for one, would never pay that much for a cat..........I don't care what breed it is.

lionessrampant, this statment has me both curious and concerned.
Quote:
Every time you give up a cat, you're adding a cat to the 6-8 million homeless animals, half of which end up being euthanized each year. 50%...those aren't great odds. And even if you privately rehome the cat, which is WAAAAAY more preferable to putting a cat into the shelter system, that's one less home for a shelter cat.
What I get from it, is that you SHOULD NOT rehome a cat or EVEN consider getting one from a shelter as it will ONLY harm any and all cats.
So, since I rehomed all 5 of my orphan kits, I then knocked 5 shelter cats out of homes? So are you saying that it is better for ALL cats involved to have them PTS to insure that SHELTER cats get homes? Shelter cats have NO more right to love than a owners cat. ALL animals have the right to be loved and have a home.

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea where I will be in one year from right now. I'm only 21 and getting ready to finish school...who knows where I'll be. But what I DO know is that I will do literally everything- short of being illegal -to keep my cats should my situation every change. I am 100% sure of that. All pet owners should be.
What if your pet decides to attack a child?What if you are severly disabled and can't care for your pet?What if you become homelesss?What if your parent becomes deathly ill and you have to care for them and can't keep your beloved pet?
Unless you have the gift of sight into the Future, you are NOT able to say without a shadow of a doubt that YOU will NEVER be in the OP place.



I think we all need to STOP and put ourselves in Evo's place BEFORE we post!!! How would you feel is you were to come to strangers and ask for help, only to have it thrown in your face how incapable you are as a pet owner? He feels attacked and is ONLY trying to find his cat a home.Atleast he ISN"T throwing the cat outside to fend for hisself!
post #84 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittermom View Post

What I get from it, is that you SHOULD NOT rehome a cat or EVEN consider getting one from a shelter as it will ONLY harm any and all cats.
So, since I rehomed all 5 of my orphan kits, I then knocked 5 shelter cats out of homes? So are you saying that it is better for ALL cats involved to have them PTS to insure that SHELTER cats get homes? Shelter cats have NO more right to love than a owners cat. ALL animals have the right to be loved and have a home.


What if your pet decides to attack a child?What if you are severly disabled and can't care for your pet?What if you become homelesss?What if your parent becomes deathly ill and you have to care for them and can't keep your beloved pet?
Unless you have the gift of sight into the Future, you are NOT able to say without a shadow of a doubt that YOU will NEVER be in the OP place.


Those are extreme acceptions. If you are disabled, homeless or injured obviously you have no choice. But going to school is not an excuse especially when he just bought the cat 2 months ago. There are plenty of options for the him and if not, he can temporarily place the cat with someone for the semester until he can get his own place or SOMETHING. I went to school and I moved and I did this with 5 cats. Unless I fall over dead tomorrow, or I get hit by a car and am disabled my cats aren't going anywhere.

And that is great that you raised 2 orphan kittens and rehomed them yourself, that is completely different situation then what we are talking about here. You took in some helpless kittens to care for temporarily until they are old enough ot rehome, this person bought a cat only to turn around and sell it for a ridiculous amount of money only 2 months later for an avoidable reason or at least one that is not that hard to work around. I am not going to say easy because many times it isn't.

And I can say that without a doubt I will never be in the OPs place and have to rehome my cats unless I am physically incapable of caring for them due to an injury or illness.
post #85 of 89
I do think it's not so nice to jump on Evo's case about him trying to rehome Felix. I'm sure it's not what he really wants to do, but he did explain why he couldn't keep Felix, and couldn't get his own apartment. I understand, where he's coming from.

I do agree that it might be hard for Evo to get the $800 that he paid for Felix, but it's not impossible. People pay that and more every day for a Bengal kitten, and the know that they will NEVER be able to breed the cat. I paid $1000 for my Simba. They wanted $1500 but I talked them down. And I knew I HAD to get him neutered, not that wouldn't have, anyway. Felix is still young, he's not a full grown cat yet, so possibly Evo can get the price he paid for the cat back.

I don't see how re-homing a Bengal cat is in any way taking a home away from a Shelter cat. The person who wants a Bengal, is probably not going to want to adopt a moggie shelter cat. I'm not saying there is something wrong with Moggies, but what I am saying is that a person who is out to purchase a purebred cat, will get the cat one way of the other, whether it be from Felix or a breeder. They aren't going to go to the shelter and get a moggie. I do know there are occasional Bengals in rescue, but I also know that they ask more for a purebred Bengal, even in rescue than they do for a Moggie. True, not $800 but more than for a Moggie, not to mention that the Bengal cat in Rescue is usually an adult cat. A lot of people want kittens or very young cats. When I bought Simba as a kitten, it was much easier to incorporate him in my household than it was bringing in an adult cat.

I also think that those of us here should be much more fair to Evo. He is trying to do the right thing, and like I said, if he can't find a proper home for him, before he has to leave for school, I'll be happy to foster Felix, for Evo
post #86 of 89
I think we all need to STOP and put ourselves in Evo's place BEFORE we post!!! How would you feel is you were to come to strangers and ask for help, only to have it thrown in your face how incapable you are as a pet owner? He feels attacked and is ONLY trying to find his cat a home.Atleast he ISN"T throwing the cat outside to fend for hisself![/quote]



I have been saddened by the tone of some of the postings in this thread. I truly believe he is doing the best he can. I think we need to look at this with a little more compassion and a little less judgement.

Evo I hope you come back and tell us how the search for Felix new home went and again I wish you luck.
post #87 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeHacker View Post
I do think it's not so nice to jump on Evo's case about him trying to rehome Felix. I'm sure it's not what he really wants to do, but he did explain why he couldn't keep Felix, and couldn't get his own apartment. I understand, where he's coming from.

I do agree that it might be hard for Evo to get the $800 that he paid for Felix, but it's not impossible. People pay that and more every day for a Bengal kitten, and the know that they will NEVER be able to breed the cat. I paid $1000 for my Simba. They wanted $1500 but I talked them down. And I knew I HAD to get him neutered, not that wouldn't have, anyway. Felix is still young, he's not a full grown cat yet, so possibly Evo can get the price he paid for the cat back.

I don't see how re-homing a Bengal cat is in any way taking a home away from a Shelter cat. The person who wants a Bengal, is probably not going to want to adopt a moggie shelter cat. I'm not saying there is something wrong with Moggies, but what I am saying is that a person who is out to purchase a purebred cat, will get the cat one way of the other, whether it be from Felix or a breeder. They aren't going to go to the shelter and get a moggie. I do know there are occasional Bengals in rescue, but I also know that they ask more for a purebred Bengal, even in rescue than they do for a Moggie. True, not $800 but more than for a Moggie, not to mention that the Bengal cat in Rescue is usually an adult cat. A lot of people want kittens or very young cats. When I bought Simba as a kitten, it was much easier to incorporate him in my household than it was bringing in an adult cat.

I also think that those of us here should be much more fair to Evo. He is trying to do the right thing, and like I said, if he can't find a proper home for him, before he has to leave for school, I'll be happy to foster Felix, for Evo
That gesture means A LOT and I thank you very much for even considering it. Someone is coming in to look at Felix soon, I'll let you know how everything goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachytoday View Post
I think we all need to STOP and put ourselves in Evo's place BEFORE we post!!! How would you feel is you were to come to strangers and ask for help, only to have it thrown in your face how incapable you are as a pet owner? He feels attacked and is ONLY trying to find his cat a home.Atleast he ISN"T throwing the cat outside to fend for hisself!



I have been saddened by the tone of some of the postings in this thread. I truly believe he is doing the best he can. I think we need to look at this with a little more compassion and a little less judgement.

Evo I hope you come back and tell us how the search for Felix new home went and again I wish you luck.
Thank you for defending me I think that, because this is the internet, sometimes it is hard to get the message across because it is so easy for something to be misunderstood. I don't blame any of the posters, i would probably do the exact same thing if i was in their shoes, but sometimes it sucks being on the other end of the gun...if you know what I mean
post #88 of 89
Hey Evo, it is also hard on our part too, things can sound a lot more mean when you aren't there talking one on one. You sound like you are doing a decent job trying to rehome him, maybe we don't agree with the reasons you are rehoming but at least you are doing what you can to make sure he goes to a great home.
post #89 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeHacker View Post


I don't see how re-homing a Bengal cat is in any way taking a home away from a Shelter cat. The person who wants a Bengal, is probably not going to want to adopt a moggie shelter cat. I'm not saying there is something wrong with Moggies, but what I am saying is that a person who is out to purchase a purebred cat, will get the cat one way of the other, whether it be from Felix or a breeder. They aren't going to go to the shelter and get a moggie. I do know there are occasional Bengals in rescue, but I also know that they ask more for a purebred Bengal, even in rescue than they do for a Moggie. True, not $800 but more than for a Moggie, not to mention that the Bengal cat in Rescue is usually an adult cat. A lot of people want kittens or very young cats. When I bought Simba as a kitten, it was much easier to incorporate him in my household than it was bringing in an adult cat.
There are a LOT of purebreds who end up in rescues. I have seen Bengals and Persians most commonly. Just take a look on petfinder. My favorite cat at the shelter I worked at was a purebred Bengal named Snickers. She was an older kitten but definately not an adult yet. She was a great cat and was leashed trained and everything. There are not only moggies in the shelters. But that is why we also suggested he call a Bengal specific rescue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Southern California people...I need to find Felix a new home