two types of crystal/blockage?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AS I've been doing research, I am finding reference to different types of crystals in the urine that cause blockage. Does an acidic chemistry prevent them both from developing, or is one of them non-reactive to the acidic urine. I am considering giving my guy cranberry to prevent the development of the crystals, but now that I know there are two kind, I am befuddled.
Can someone explain please?

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are different kind of stones that can cause problems. The most common ones are struvite and calcium oxalate. Struvite is caused mainly by the urine being to alcalic and will dissolve if you make the urine more acidic. The calcium oxalate is more problematic though, you can't dissolve that type of stones. They need to be removed surgically. They do good in acidic urine and that's a reason why you shouldn't acidify your cats urine unless you're cat have to alcalic urine and the vet's told you to acidify it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's interesting. Fang's urine sample showed hi protein, no blood, nor did he mention any crystals, but I have a feeling I caught the problem early. The vet did say he had cystitis, which I thought was when the sandy material starts to block them. He was treated with clavamox, and the vet recommended that I add cranberry to his diet. Do you think this sounds like good advice? You think he is diagnosing on what is the most likely, or he actually knows.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just was reading about this too, that is why I posted about it, (no one responded to mine
hehe) Anyways, I read something to the extent of cranberry is good to give to prevent crystals and UTI because the most common ones they get are from urine that is LESS acidic. Making it more acidic will be fine becuase they are not as likely to get the ones that are common in ACIDIC urine. I am trying to find that site now.

It is the same with people, people take cranberry extract all the time to prevent UTIS and I am also considering giving it to my one cat who gets them often.

I am in the process of ordering it from a health suppliments catalog. How much are you giving your cats?

So yes I think from my readings, it is good advice.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks Jen,

Well, my guy must have detected the cranberry powder because he stuck up his nose, so I stopped putting it in. I also read something yesterday about magnesium in the wet food, and which foods are recommended. So I know I am feeding him right, the right diet creates acidic urine. Also, I just ordered some tablets that create an acidic urine. I will attach both of these articles if I can.http://www.swancorner.com/feilineurologicsyndrome.html this is the site that discusses food and FUS, CarponTM
A Natural Urinary Acidifier
Treats and prevents Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease by acidifying urine and breaking up struvite crystals. Contains a natural acidifier extracted from berries. Tablet form.

Carpon100 tablets$19.30 + s/h
and above is the name of the product I ordered, developed by Belfield Pet Food Research Center

by Dr. Wendell O. Belfield
I hope you can find these links.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

that's interesting. Fang's urine sample showed hi protein, no blood, nor did he mention any crystals, but I have a feeling I caught the problem early. The vet did say he had cystitis, which I thought was when the sandy material starts to block them. He was treated with clavamox, and the vet recommended that I add cranberry to his diet. Do you think this sounds like good advice? You think he is diagnosing on what is the most likely, or he actually knows.
Cystitis is not necessarily the same as a blockage. Cystitis is a chronic condition where there is bladder inflammation. In Polly's case, she's missing some of the cells from her bladder wall. It can cause crystals, hematuria (blood in the urine) and accidents. There is no cure for cystitis and the cause is not known, but there are lots of treatments including medicines, special diets and encouraging liquid consumption to try to dilute the urine.

A note about cystitis: It can only be 100% diagnosed with a bladder biopsy. But if you've done other tests and eliminated other things, you can be pretty sure it's cystitis.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get cranberry extract in liquid form (human grade), just make sure with no sugar added. I give about 1/2 - 3/4 ml/day of cranberry to help prevent. If he gets an infection I will probably increase that. I syringe it into his mouth, or blend it into his wet food!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cystitis is not necessarily the same as a blockage. Cystitis is a chronic condition where there is bladder inflammation.
purr paws, is cystitis caused by the crystals, or is it totally unrealated? My understanding is that cystitis (inflamation of the bladder) is caused because the crystals(sandy material) irritate the bladder walls and urethea wall causing scraping and bleeding. If this occurs often enough the scar tissue in the urethea will become so thick that it is difficult for the cat to urinate, and might even cause a blockage. As there is more irritation and scaring the urine burns when it comes out etc.

So I am guessing that the antibiotics are for bacteria that may grow in the scrapped membranes, but what about the cranberry? Is the sandy material the same material as the crystals that people refer to? and is cystitis caused by the same material?

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

purr paws, is cystitis caused by the crystals, or is it totally unrealated? My understanding is that cystitis (inflamation of the bladder) is caused because the crystals(sandy material) irritate the bladder walls and urethea wall causing scraping and bleeding. If this occurs often enough the scar tissue in the urethea will become so thick that it is difficult for the cat to urinate, and might even cause a blockage. As there is more irritation and scaring the urine burns when it comes out etc.

So I am guessing that the antibiotics are for bacteria that may grow in the scrapped membranes, but what about the cranberry? Is the sandy material the same material as the crystals that people refer to? and is cystitis caused by the same material?
Cystitis is usually idiopathic (that's fancy vet talk for we don't know what caused your kitty to have cysititis). AFAIK, they don't know the cause (or causes) yet.

I think the crystals will defnitely exacerbate the inflammation and irritation that are already present. I'm not sure if by sandy material you mean sediment or crystals?

Truthfully, I'm not sure why antibiotics sometimes help. That's something I've been meaning to ask my vet about. They didn't help Polly, unfourtunately. Cranberry, I'm not sure either. Is it a urine acidifier?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To Purrpaws,

Yes by sandy material I mean the sediment or crystals in the urine. Part of my confusion is I don't know if they are all the same thing? I take it they are.
Cranberry is a urine acidifier, but you could cause more problems with it because one of the sediment types grows in the acid urine. I think that is less common though. I am going to make a separate post for magnesium levels. I was not good at math so I don't know what is higher, a .09 or a .025? I think they mean 9% and 25% which means the magnesium food with .025 is 25% or is it 2.5% which would make it less than 9%? see my dilemma? I want to do the right thing, but I am having a hard time figuring it out.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

To Purrpaws,

Yes by sandy material I mean the sediment or crystals in the urine. Part of my confusion is I don't know if they are all the same thing? I take it they are.
Cranberry is a urine acidifier, but you could cause more problems with it because one of the sediment types grows in the acid urine. I think that is less common though. I am going to make a separate post for magnesium levels. I was not good at math so I don't know what is higher, a .09 or a .025? I think they mean 9% and 25% which means the magnesium food with .025 is 25% or is it 2.5% which would make it less than 9%? see my dilemma? I want to do the right thing, but I am having a hard time figuring it out.
If you want to give your kitty cranberry, I'd check with your vet first. Kitty's urine may not need to be acidified. Polly's urine was too basic, so she went on Hill's c/d, and now her urine is pH 6, a little acidic, but right where we want it. You're right that you don't want to acidify it too much or you might get another kind of crystals.

I think sediment and crystals are two different things. At least that's the impression I get, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm not too sure about magnesium levels. My cat eats prescription food, so I haven't really had to search and read food labels. Not all cats with cystitis need the prescription food. My impression is that rx food is only used for kitties with basic urine.

As you can see, I'm still learning about all this cystitis stuff! I'm sorry, I wish I could be more help.