Alternative to salmon oil?

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a Devon Rex female who used to shed a lot, it started this spring. This changed when I started to feed her salmon oil. It only took 4-5 days for the oil to make the coat shed less. Obviously it's the Omega 3 fatty acids she need. The problem is that she hates salmon oil and other fish oils so I have to force feed her the oil. Not very pleasant for any of us. Do you know of anything else I can feed her to get her the Omega 3 fatty acids (except from fresh fish).

I BARF my cats so tips on dry food or canned food is pretty much irrelevant.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Olive oil /// flaxseed oil /// Canola oil... all have omega 3s the bad part is they are plant oils and not as easily assimilated and used as the fish oils...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vegetable oils are a waste of money, my cats can smell them miles away...

And as I've understood vegetable oild won't do any good since they contain alpha-linolenic acid and the cat can't convert alpha-linolenic acid to DHA or EPA.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well my vet said that wasnt wasnt quite right ... they are absorbed but yes at much lower levals ,,,it takes like 10 time s the amount

what meats do your cats eat??? can you hide something in there like a powder?? I know one of the supplements I use has some omega 3s in it and I just mix it in... Do you have access to NUPRO???

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you just feed her fish? That's the simplest solution I can think of. Also, there are treats made from dried fish with nothing added. Do you use ground meat? If so, have you tried hiding a little fish oil in it? There are other fish oils besides salmon. Maybe she would like cod liver oil or sardine oil.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

what meats do your cats eat??? can you hide something in there like a powder?? I know one of the supplements I use has some omega 3s in it and I just mix it in... Do you have access to NUPRO???
They eat ground turkey/chicken, pork and beef. I couldn't probably hide a powder if it doesn't smell much. I can get check if we have NUPRO her in Sweden, if we don't I can probaby order from Germany or fthe US. Thanks.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momto3cats

Can you just feed her fish? That's the simplest solution I can think of. Also, there are treats made from dried fish with nothing added. Do you use ground meat? If so, have you tried hiding a little fish oil in it? There are other fish oils besides salmon. Maybe she would like cod liver oil or sardine oil.
I've thought about fish but I don't know how much I'd have to feed her. I can buy frozen salmon but since she doesn't eat much (she easily get on the heavy side
) I would have to know how much fish she needs. I don't wanna ruin the balance completely.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cod liver oil is available in an odorless, tasteless, formulation. Would that work?

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Cod liver oil is available in an odorless, tasteless, formulation. Would that work?
That would probably work. I'll try to find it.

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that if you give fish oil, you have to also supplement with vitamin E. Giving fish oil naturally depletes teh body's ability to absorb vitamin E, so extra vitamin E is necessary so that the Omega 3's can be absorbed.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlphilli

Keep in mind that if you give fish oil, you have to also supplement with vitamin E. Giving fish oil naturally depletes teh body's ability to absorb vitamin E, so extra vitamin E is necessary so that the Omega 3's can be absorbed.
Most are preserved with A AND E

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I allready supplement with vitamin E.

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Most are preserved with A AND E
True they are preserved with vitamin E (mixed tocopherols), but since that isn't a straight form of vitamin E, it isn't enough to balance out.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

True they are preserved with vitamin E (mixed tocopherols), but since that isn't a straight form of vitamin E, it isn't enough to balance out.
Ahh my vet said just the opposite... I will do some further research