Spay and Neuter at 16 weeks?

corinster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've just got back from the vet for the kitten's 3rd deworming and distemper shots and he's recommended getting both the boy and girl in to be neutered and spayed.

The shelter advised having the boy done around now but said that we should wait for the spay until my little girl was around 6 months old. However, my vet says he prefers to get them in younger and that it's easier on them.

Does anyone have any experience with this? The shelter has told me a horror story about stitches splitting as it's difficult to keep kittens from playing and while I'm sure my vet wouldn't do anything jeopardise her health, I want to be sure.

Thanks!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a big proponent of pediatric spay & neuter, I've recently had 5 kittens that came to me already altered, 3 of which had just gotten done and there were no problems with any of them. Your vet is right though, they recover MUCH quicker, plus a cat may sexually mature before 6 months and you really don't want to deal with a cat in heat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corinster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really dont want a cat in heat - there's nothing worse!

I felt happy with what the vet had said and he actually prefers to do them at 6-8 weeks. The shelter just made me panic and made me wonder if I was doing the right thing.

They're both healthy and well (he weighs almost 6lbs already!) so hopefully they'll be fine.

I'd still be interested if anyone has any info as to why spay/neuter is better when they're younger so if nothing else I can tell the shelter why I went against their advice if and when they ask.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pediatric spay/neuter is an excellent thing.
The recovery time much quicker with younger kittens, they act almost as if nothing happened.

A lot of cats can and do come into heat long befor 6 months.
I'd imagine your shelter suggested 6 months are they are not informed of current pediatric procedures and 6 months has been the standard for a very, very long time.

Anything over 2 pounds, and healthy is ideal for the surgery provided the vet is comfortable with it.
As your vet recommended it, I'll assume they're comfortable with it.

4 of our cats were altered at 8 weeks, one at 16 weeks, the sixth was 11 months due to having kittens at 7 months before we got her.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just talked to my vet about this yesterday. Charlotte & Bridget (they were 12 weeks yesterday) went in for their second distemper shot; I asked about neutering. The vet said he likes to get all their vaccinations done before neutering in his practice. However, he also does work at our local shelter and said kittens come & go so quickly that he neuters there when the kitten is 2 lbs. Our girls will be spayed as soon as possible after their shots are finished.

euterpe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Libby was neutered at 10 weeks/2lbs and she was just fine. I'm sure even at 6 months cats are still playful enough that they could split their stitches, or any age for that matter. As long as you keep them relatively calm for the first few days they should be fine.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Euterpe

Libby was neutered at 10 weeks/2lbs and she was just fine. I'm sure even at 6 months cats are still playful enough that they could split their stitches, or any age for that matter. As long as you keep them relatively calm for the first few days they should be fine.
Excellent point!!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Polly got spayed at about 8 weeks, and I got her only 2 or 3 weeks after. Everything was fine with her.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it's not as soon as 16 weeks, but we just got Gretta spayed at 21 weeks, because she came in heat at 19-20 weeks
. I wanted to get her fixed at 4 months, but didn't find a vet around here that would do it before 6 months- they did go ahead and do it though, since she did come in heat early
. She seems to be feeling much better much sooner than my other cats did when they got spayed at an older age, and is pretty much back to normal already, except a little slower
. They also gave her internal stitches, so nothing for her to chew and pull out. I think has been easier on her.

aubidar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Leela was spayed at 9weeks. And I have to tell you I would do it again in a heartbeat. Never did she appear to be in pain .. she was happy and cheerful and yes.. playful. Luckily she was young enough that she really wasn't jumping too awfully high. Now about 15 weeks you can't see or feel any scars and it certainly didn't do anything to scare or change this very personable kitty

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
from all the info ive been reading online, 20 months is actually the latest you should wait to spay/neuter. im bringing home a 9 month old kitten from the human society tomorrow and she is already spayed

i cant believe i will have 3 kittens now! but my grandmother has really taken to one of them, i might let her have it

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girls were done at that age. Mooch actually went into heat litterally the Saturday before thier Tuesday spay! I did keep my girls in their kennel a bit more afterward because they wanted to play right away when I brought them home. Just to be safe mainly.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My little Boo-Boo girl is around 9 or 10 weeks and I am going to call Monday and see if the vet will spay her, (He should since she weighs 2lbs. 3 oz.). The other little girl I got is 7 weeks and only 1lb. 8oz. so I think she will have to wait a little bit.

corinster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I didn't respond to everyone's really helpful posts earlier but we were so busy this weekend.

Anyway, the spay and neuter for each of them is booked for tomorrow and you've all done wonders to put my mind at rest. I thought I was doing the right thing and do trust my vet but the reaction of the shelter really worried me.

I'll take them in tomorrow morning and while I'll still be worried at least I know I'm not doing anything terrible to them!

Thanks!

myfirstragdoll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Ragdoll was done when he was 12 weeks, he did great the breeder let me take him home the day after his neuter, i've not had a problem he'll be 2 in Nov.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

from all the info ive been reading online, 20 months is actually the latest you should wait to spay/neuter. im bringing home a 9 month old kitten from the human society tomorrow and she is already spayed
that was meant to say 9 week not 9 month

corinster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for everyone's advice.

My two newest babies were dropped off at the vet this morning at 8am and I can't concentrate on anything. My logical mind tells me that they'll be ok, the vet does loads of surgeries much more complicated that this and that they'll be absolutely fine but my completely irrational, emotial, fallen in love with my new kittens mind is worrying itself stupid!

I can't wait to have them home and know that they're ok!

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Early-age spay/neuter
Some people delay spay/neuter for their pet because they've heard the animal must be six months or older. Although many older veterinarians were taught that, a number of studies show that cats and dogs as young as eight weeks have no problems later in life due to early- age spay/neuter. Plus, young kittens bounce back faster from the procedures than older kittens or cats. The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) endorses early-age spay and neuter.

Due to traditions in some vet schools, some veterinarians are not familiar with the procedure or have no experience performing the surgery on younger kittens. Also, the procedure requires the safer and more expensive inhalant anesthetics such as isoflorane.

Our low cost spay/neuter program has vets whose only requirement is the kittens must weigh one pound. These kittens do fine. They have one sleepy day and then are running around playing and having a blast. Females have their stitches removed in about 12-14 days.

It may tricky finding a vet who will perform surgeries this young but I figure they are probably some of your better vets, just a guess though.

yayas_mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by corinster

I've just got back from the vet for the kitten's 3rd deworming and distemper shots and he's recommended getting both the boy and girl in to be neutered and spayed.

The shelter advised having the boy done around now but said that we should wait for the spay until my little girl was around 6 months old. However, my vet says he prefers to get them in younger and that it's easier on them.

Does anyone have any experience with this? The shelter has told me a horror story about stitches splitting as it's difficult to keep kittens from playing and while I'm sure my vet wouldn't do anything jeopardise her health, I want to be sure.

Thanks!
we spay/neuter at 8weeks/2lbs (must be both at least) so 16 weeks should be fine, especially if your vet is comfortable with an early procedure.

corinster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update on Willow and Sedgewicke:

I picked both of them up this morning and they're absolutely fine! Both of them were purring all the way home and they've been eating like horses all day. Everytime they see me they purr and come to me for cuddles.

The other thing I was suprised at is how small the girls incision is - only about 7mm if that so hopefully she'll heal quickly.

Both are running about and playing and happy as they can be so I'm pleased to say I made the right decision. Thanks to everyone for confirming it was the right thing to do!