do ur cats do this?

kittyprincess

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
when i change the litter box or scoop it out prince and princess are right up my butt wondering what i am doing and no matter how clean or dirty it was before i cleaned it they always go as soon as i am done
i was just curious does any one elses cats do this and do you know why they do it?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, many times I have some waiting to use it when its scooped clean - perhaps they just have to go at that time or maybe's its more of "remarking" their pan...who knows - important thing is that they use it

xandlyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes! My girl Nepenthe does this. Even though I have an automatic litter box (litter robot), there is no poo in the box, and I go to just change the bag she runs right in afterwards to go potty. Also when I change the litter it is her first priority to go and roll in it then poo in it.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, Davidson is right in there checking out what I'm doing. They both sit in the bedroom with me, Davidson on my lap and Harley on the bed. They are just making sure that I do it right I guess!

When I'm finished, Harley hops in, does his business, and shortly after, Davidson goes right in!

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Smidge did it just this morning. She only does this though when she is getting a full change, not justscooping. She got up from napping just to watch the process - and didnt wait for me even to put the box in its proper place first.

euterpe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought maybe Libby was the only one who did this! I found great amusement in telling my husband what she was doing on a daily basis when I first realised it wasn't a one time thing.

Every time I scoop out her box, she first paws at my hand and the scoop and then without fail goes in there, while i'm in the middle of cleaning, and leaves me a gift! I thought when she did it the first time that I just happened to do it at a time she neede to go, but nope, every time - and she never waits till I'm finished.

Sometimes she can barely squeeze anything out, but she tries and tries until she does something, bless her, lol.

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

Smidge did it just this morning. She only does this though when she is getting a full change, not justscooping. She got up from napping just to watch the process - and didnt wait for me even to put the box in its proper place first.
Ruby did this to me last night after I completely changed out the boxes. She didn't even let me set it on the floor, but hopped in in mid-air and made a stinky!

rum tum tugger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Although my cat has just gotten acustomed to using the litter box, she certainly has a curious mind whenever I am there cleaning it. If she doesn't use it right away she will at least go in and inspect it!

ann demi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, my cats do that intermittently. My guess is either (or combination) of curiosity or rescenting or that cats prefer to use "cleaned" litter.

Once, my big male was especially attentive when I was cleaning out the litter: purposely in my way, mewing and looking in my face, and rubbing on me ... annoyingly so! Then it dawned on me, it was one of the very few times no litter was piled and scattered outside the door of the litter globe ... and he's the main "flinger".

I think he was proud of his accomplishment.

Ann Demi
"Solutions to Cat Behavior Problems"
http://anndemi.a1s2d3.hop.clickbank.net

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I think the sound of the litter being scooped triggers them and other times I think they are reclaiming their space.

I've had one follow me through the cleaning of four boxes and use each one, although by the time we got to the fourth he hadn't anything left and kind of just fake squatted to make his point.

witchykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill

Sometimes I think the sound of the litter being scooped triggers them and other times I think they are reclaiming their space.

I've had one follow me through the cleaning of four boxes and use each one, although by the time we got to the fourth he hadn't anything left and kind of just fake squatted to make his point.
Is that kinda like hearing running water for us?

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we have two boxes and whilst i clean one Trouble goes and pees in the other and then when i finish and start on the other one she goes and poos in the clean one!! little git.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh YES. Same thing happens here with my two kittens. They want to know what I'm doing with their litter box...god it is fascinating to them....

Since I have five boxes all over my house they follow me around several times a day...I wonder when they will tire of it.

nought

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, there. -Forgive my butting in. -Just signed up to ask a question and saw this.
I read in a book sometime ago the if you put a little sprinkle of the old litter in tray unto the fresh (oh, no; it doesn't have to be soiled/wet sand) they won't do it, as the tray will then have a familiar scent.

I've tried it; it seemed to work about more half the time (pretty good odds when there are cats involved!). But then why bother when they seem to enjoy Christenning the virgin sand so much, eh?

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep! Every one of them does it, and my daughter's cats all do this as well! Makes hubby so mad when he changes the box and they stink it up right away
I let him read your posts so he knows that it is not a reflection on him

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Molly and Polly sometimes do that. It's pretty cute. Right now I need to go clean it for the day. Hasta!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
mine do this when i'm emptying the littermaid containers. or anytime i'm replenishing the litter in the box, too.