Its a sad day

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As is my habit, I switched on the morning news, to hear that (gasp) BOTH of Tucson's Krispy Kreme stores have closed!

The company is giving no explanation and employees were given no notice. The district manager merely said that there were concerns about the Tucson stores' performance.

NOW where am I going to get donut fixes? That OTHER chain's donuts are so greasy, I don't even have to chew them - they slide right down (and through
)

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually Krispy Kreme closed up shop in my area as well (I'm not sure if it's province wide). I think they only lasted a year. Most people prefer our local chain (Tim Hortons) and found Krispy Kreme too sweet and overpriced.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the one in our area is closing as well

I was SO sad,... I love going in there!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's an Ontario wide thing, I know that the one in London closed down as well. Couldn't compete with Timmy's.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as our area has the Donut Bank (locally owned chain) I'm fine. Apple fritters - yum. (French crullers for Mom.)

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lvoe our krispy kreme but haven't been in a while. Mmm maybe I will get some for us to eat tomorrw!!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NC is the home of krispy kreme. They still are around here but the company went bankrupt and will shut down everywhere eventually.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

As long as our area has the Donut Bank (locally owned chain) I'm fine. Apple fritters - yum. (French crullers for Mom.)
oh gosh, apple fritters
I haven't had one of those in forever! my grandma used to take me to Hillside Orchards to get them. Not a real big fan of Krispy Creme myself, there's a great locally owned place in the next town over, can't remember the name, but I know where it is!

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup at first they blamed it on low carb diets but I guess that was not the only problem.

" For fiscal 2005, which ended Jan. 30, 2005, Krispy Kreme said Friday it was reporting a net loss of $198 million on revenue of $708 million."

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our first Krispy Kreme opened less than two years ago, so it is still pretty popular. My MIL looked into opening a franchise (before this one opened) and its pretty steep. You must have $100,000 of your own money (not a bank loan, personal loan, anything but money you have saved.) Then, the corporation gives you a $1 million loan that you have 3 years to pay off. That loan includes construction of the store, training, and start-up. Perhaps, both stores were owned by one person and they were unbale to pay back the loans in time...

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They recently closed their shop in my area too.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They closed two Boston area stores (Medford and Peabody) recently. Now that they sell in most of the local Shaws supermarkets and several gas stations a lot of people won't make the effort to go to the actual stores. I know the Dedham MA and Cranston RI (near the airport) stores are still open for now.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought some today for the first time in months, from a stall in a supermarket in Clapham South (london). I prefer them to other donuts even though they are incredibly bad for you. What was the london store that closed?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no! I'm addicted to the cream-filled ones. Our daughter bought me a dozen one Friday night and I had eaten 10 of them by Saturday afternoon. Now I'm very sad.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The closed the local one up earlier this yr-I don't even knoe if it was open a yr too!! I have to drive to Green Bay to get my fix-but a local gas station does sell in case of a krispie kreme melt-down!!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard a while back that Krispy Kreme wasn't doing quite as well. They've slowly been closing more and more locations. No big loss for me. I always thought they were way to greasy. They had a comparison a while back and Krispy Kreme contained the most fat of all the major chains. I still am so sorry for your loss though. Please except my condolences.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cant believe how you guys can digest all these things

I dont know one doughnut store here in germany!