how soon can kittens leave the mom?

pxxiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a matter of opinion. Most breeders keep their kittens until they are 10 -12 weeks old. I've also read that between 7 to 9 weeks is acceptable. I can tell you from recent experience that I let 3 of mine go just shy of 8 weeks and then another left at 8 and a half weeks. All of the kittens are doing FANTASTIC in their new homes. I did hear that one of them is sucking on their new owner but that is strange because that kitten was hardly nursing when it left. Anyway, I have 2 kittens left to place. They are 9 weeks and I feel they are very ready to bond with a loving human. I would sum it by saying that anytime after 8 weeks is good. That is as long as you've seen your kittens eating food and using the litter box consistantly. Trust your instincts too.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

im sure this has been asked a dozen times at least but i couldnt find it
If you can hold on to them for 10-12 weeks...that is ideal. We've placed kittens at 8 weeks (fixed)...but now our rescue places kittens at 10-12 weeks (fixed). We have found that in general, the kittens placed at 10-12 weeks show less behavior issues. I do believe additional time with siblings and mom is useful.

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While you can let them go by 8 weeks, its much better to keep them till around 12 weeks (my rex kittens never left my house till 16 weeks old). At 8 weeks they are barely weaned and litter trained.

Mentally and socially they need time to interact with siblings, mom, and other adult cats. If taken too soon, they sometimes have social problems. And at 12-16 weeks old they are still very much kittens.

I kept my till 4 months old to be sure they all had their shots, were very well house trained (no scratching furniture, climbing curtains), and ready socially with other people and cats.

Our barn kittens (last batch) went to new homes around 12 weeks old.