Cayko Update - Chewed Toes

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just thought I'd update everyone on the little runt of the litter Cayko after mom chewed off a couple toes when cutting the umbilical cord. It wasn't very evidant at first how much damage there would be because it looked pretty bad at the time. Their paws are so tiny and she was only 2oz so that little paw was pretty tiny. Here it is on the day she was born:

Here is a picture (I didn't realize I got her foot in the picture) at 11 days old:

On the left you can see her hind paw. The first toe on the right side of the foot was not injured. The second toe had a chunk taken off the top with part of the pad missing. This one has been the hardest to heal up. Its not evidant to me if the joint the claw grows out of is intact enough to regrow and I hope we wouldn't have to worry about an impacted claw or anything... The next toe was bitten the shortest but has healed up the best. Its just a little stub left and completely healed - no more scab. The last toe which is off the picture just had the nail bitten off and I expect that will regrow with no problem.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG she is so adorable !!!! It looks like its healing pretty well. Poor thing. Do you know what that entails for her with the part of a missing pad ? Do you have the other kittens pics posted anywhere ?

ms_joshica

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww she is adorable. She will be just fine. She'll probably be your little fiesty one too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she certainly had a big surprise for me when I got home! After inspecting all the kittens, she is the first to have one eye just beginning to open!! Won't be long for the others to follow
. Wouldn't you know the littlest would be the first?

I'm finding the kittens went into a super fuzzy stage?? This is my first bengal litter so don't know if this is normal... I know they go through a fuzzy stage at a couple months old that could take a while to clear up. Basically it washes out the spots. I'll post some pictures but the definition of spots is somewhat lost in the fuzziness right now!

Cayko - majorly lighter in color than the rest of the litter!

Akiem - hes the darkest. On the other side he has a HUGE rosette but I can never get good pictures of it. (lighting issues) I think he will look like his dad

Phoenix - trying to be the biggest girl of the lot

Storm - she is showing the best definition in this fuzziness...

The Litter

For those that aren't to familiar with bengals. My girl is an early generation (F3). You often see the smaller rosettes denser packed in the EG's. Then as they go further into development and selective breeding you get a lot of large open rosettes. There are all different kinds and some are favored more than others by breeders. There are donut rosettes, arrowhead, faling out, paw print, etc. Dad had larger open rosettes, meeka has small almost arrowhead like rosettes. Some people find that to be a wilder appearance, others find the donut type to be like a jaguar so it varies. It will be interesting to see what the kittens will have.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What great pics !!!! They are so beautiful !!!!! They show up really well on the blue background ........

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Do you know what that entails for her with the part of a missing pad ? Do you have the other kittens pics posted anywhere ?
Right now I'm not to sure. She will probably develope some callouses on her toes in these areas from walking eventually. The smallest toe might not even see a whole lot of pressure as the other toes absorb most of the weight. I'm just not sure if the claw is intact in that larger toe.... I'm almost hoping it isn't because I'm afraid if there is minor damage to it the claw could impact? I'm probably blowing it out of proportion but you kind of think of all scenarios. If part of the pad is missing then I think that some of the bone is probably gone too, meaning no claw...but we'll have to wait and see. Cats get along well with more major disabilities than this so she probably won't have any trouble adapting.

You would never know she was injured OR the runt, the way she fights for a nipple!!!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!!!

This is off-topic but a Five-lined skink got in our house today and was driving the cats CRAZY!!! I felt bad that we decided to catch it and let it outside and deprive them of their fun, but at the same time I've really enjoyed having the skinks hang out on the patio (sliding door right there to see them). Besides the fun lasts longer for the cats when they are just outside!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

Thanks guys!!!

This is off-topic but a Five-lined skink got in our house today and was driving the cats CRAZY!!! I felt bad that we decided to catch it and let it outside and deprive them of their fun, but at the same time I've really enjoyed having the skinks hang out on the patio (sliding door right there to see them). Besides the fun lasts longer for the cats when they are just outside!
OMG I found one of those in my house that my cats DID end his life. I had never seen one ever before and I was so afraid it was poisonous with his blue neon tail. I finally figured out what it was and was relieved. I have since seen several outside, but Im always afraid a snake will be near where they are .........and it freaks me out !!!!!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

ok what is a stink
Hehe a SKink not a stink

They are sooo pretty. I like lizard type things though. These guys will drop their tails when threatened. This one actually was regrowing a new one so it must have been attacked recently. I used to catch them when I was little. Their tales will continue to squirm around when they drop them, I guess that can really confuse the prey!
http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects...s/Eum_fas.html

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess they are pretty exclusive to this area but there are a ton of them! Especially around barns and such. This is the first time I've seen so many around a residential place (I don't exactly live out in the open, pretty built up here). Variety is great for the cats - fish, birds, and now skinks