Please help this non-breeder

pxxiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Veruca, my "foster" cat, has 3 kittens left. They are 9 weeks old. The other kittens were placed last week and they doing fantastic in their forever homes. (I'm so proud - all the new owners say that these kittens are perfectly cuddly, playful, and sociable - "the best kittens they ever had").

Anyway, my concerns are that the three kittens are still nursing a lot and Veruca seems to be uninterested in anything except her kittens. Before the other kittens left Veruca seemed to want to get away from them and was really weaning them. But now, all Veruca wants to do is stay in the bedroom with her kittens. One day I let the kittens come out to socialize them a little more, and Veruca went in to protective mode and was chasing away all of my resident cats. Now she still chases my cats even if the kittens are safe in their room. If I let her out, she just sits by the door and guards it. She has been here two over two months and it's like she is regressing when it comes to getting along with my 4 cats.

We planned on keeping her and 1 kitten but I fear that she will never even let her kitten get to know our cats. Elvis the kitty is 9 weeks now and he hasn't been able to bond with us and our cats because she won't let us. I don't know what to do. SHould I work on acclaimating Veruca to the family first, or just separate Elvis from his littermates and leave him out of the room to start his life as part of our family? Or should I just go for the gusto and let Veruca and the kittens out and let all the cats work it out? Please note that Veruca is NOT aggressive with humans. She doesn't mind if we handle the kittens. She just chases that cats away if they even come near the room, the kittens, or her food (we tried feeding her down here but she even chases them away from their own food bowls and eats their food)

I am also wondering if Veruca might stop being so protective and aggressive with my cats when she is spayed. The vet wanted to wait until the kittens are weaned and gone, but Elvis is staying for sure and I have no idea when the other two will get rehomed. SHould I just have her done and keep her separated until she heals?

Sorry this is such a long post with so many questions. I am just feeling sad about the fact that Veruca is upsetting my resident babies. And I want to enjoy little Elvis while he's still a kitten! I hope you can help.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the remaining kittens are 9 weeks old, how old were the ones you placed. Its better to let all the kittens stay with mom for 10-12 weeks or between 3-4 months!

By that time, mom will be ready to separate from them. Its not surprising that 9 week old kittens still nurse - my rexes were still nursing at 3 months old from time to time.

Perhaps you taking away the other kittens caused her to become very protective of the remaining kittens.

If possible wait another week or two to spay her. I would just let all the cats together - she might chase some, but she will be better in a week or two with socializing. You haven't really given her the chance to socialize nor the kittens.

My rex kittens were allowed contact (since everyone had shots) from the time they were 2 months old - mom never objected at all since she was never isolated from the rest.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try posting this in the Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care forum. I think you will get more responses.

I think mom is just being a protective mother. When the kittens are older and can defend themselves better she will lay off a bit more.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think that she is being protective since her other kittens were taken away at such a very young age. They should be with the mother until at leat 10 weeks ideally 12 weeks. If the remaining kittens are still nursing a lot then you can wait but a lot of cats are spayed while the kittens are still nursing with no problems so I don't know what to tell you.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

I would try posting this in the Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care forum. I think you will get more responses.

I think mom is just being a protective mother. When the kittens are older and can defend themselves better she will lay off a bit more.
Moving the thread to Pregnant Cats and Kittens is probably a good idea. Done. Good luck with your babies.

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our stray mom cat went in and out of being ok with our other cats.

When she was pregnant, she was uninterested in our cats.

When she first had her babies she would charge the door to her room if she even thought one of the other cats was outside.

She went into heat when they were 7 to 8 weeks old and then she looooooved to be around our neutered male, but as she came out of heat, she became increasingly more agressive with him, chasing him all over.

We had her spayed when her babies were 9 weeks old and she stabilized at tolerating our cats, with the occasional chasing.

Since she showed up pregnant, we really didn't know what she was like without all kinds of different hormones in her body, effecting her behaviour!

I would guess you're seeing something similar. Spaying should calm her down, and in time, with proper introductions, she should integrate into your household. I would let the kitten out on his own with your cats (supervised by you of course) for short periods of time so they can all get to know eachother. Then with mama cat, follow the introduction steps after she's been spayed and see how that goes. Maybe introduce her to the others without her kitten around first.

~Julia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pxxiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If the remaining kittens are 9 weeks old, how old were the ones you placed. Its better to let all the kittens stay with mom for 10-12 weeks or between 3-4 months!

By that time, mom will be ready to separate from them. Its not surprising that 9 week old kittens still nurse - my rexes were still nursing at 3 months old from time to time.

Perhaps you taking away the other kittens caused her to become very protective of the remaining kittens.

If possible wait another week or two to spay her. I would just let all the cats together - she might chase some, but she will be better in a week or two with socializing. You haven't really given her the chance to socialize nor the kittens.

My rex kittens were allowed contact (since everyone had shots) from the time they were 2 months old - mom never objected at all since she was never isolated from the rest.
The other kittens left between 8 and 9 weeks. I was hesitant because it was suggested to keep them together until they were 10 weeks. But I decided to let them go to thier new homes because I am best friends with both of the "human" moms and knew that they would be handled as precious new babies. And the kittens went in pairs which made it seem more reasonable. I honestly felt that placing them shortly before school started would insure that the kittens got the special attention they needed before moms got busy with kids and school issues. And like I said, Veruca didn't seem to be teaching them much because she either did not want to go in the room with them, or if they were out all she seemed to teach them was a fear of other cats.

My cats have all had shots. Veruca has been screened and had shots and the kittens have all had their first shots. I have them all out right now and will let the chips fall where they may. I am not opposed to keeping all of them so if they can all get along or at least tolerate each other, the better my chances of my husband agreeing with me.

pxxiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlutgendorf

Our stray mom cat went in and out of being ok with our other cats.

When she was pregnant, she was uninterested in our cats.

When she first had her babies she would charge the door to her room if she even thought one of the other cats was outside.

She went into heat when they were 7 to 8 weeks old and then she looooooved to be around our neutered male, but as she came out of heat, she became increasingly more agressive with him, chasing him all over.

We had her spayed when her babies were 9 weeks old and she stabilized at tolerating our cats, with the occasional chasing.

Since she showed up pregnant, we really didn't know what she was like without all kinds of different hormones in her body, effecting her behaviour!

I would guess you're seeing something similar. Spaying should calm her down, and in time, with proper introductions, she should integrate into your household. I would let the kitten out on his own with your cats (supervised by you of course) for short periods of time so they can all get to know eachother. Then with mama cat, follow the introduction steps after she's been spayed and see how that goes. Maybe introduce her to the others without her kitten around first.

~Julia
Thank you for your input! It is hard to know Veruca's real personality with all the hormones and changes going on! Considering all she's been through, she's really being pretty good!

pxxiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I also think that she is being protective since her other kittens were taken away at such a very young age. They should be with the mother until at leat 10 weeks ideally 12 weeks. If the remaining kittens are still nursing a lot then you can wait but a lot of cats are spayed while the kittens are still nursing with no problems so I don't know what to tell you.
Is it just me, or is there really some backlash here because I let some kittens go before 10 weeks? I suddenly feel like I have to defend myself for letting the kittens go before breeder and rescues do but please know that I'm doing the best I can for these kittens and the mom. Veruca was not my cat. She was abandoned, pregnant, in 100+ degree hot sunny weather. My husband only reluctlantly agreed to let me bring her in to get her spayed and find her a home. I got her on a Saturday, called the vet on Monday for an appointment on Wed., she delivered on Tues. My daughter gave up her playroom for the summer, my husband wanted to take us on a vacation but we couldn't leave the kittens, Veruca has had shots and had blood screening, I've spent $$ on all the things involved in caring for kittens, and I am paying for all of these cats (even the ones I've placed) to be sterilized. I happily did all of the above things because I believed it was better than moving her and the kittens to a shelter. I also placed the kittens at 8 weeks because I frankly didn't feel that I was able to give them the human socializing they should have because I also care for 4 of my own spoiled cats, a job, elderly parents, and a 6 year old. Well, enough of all that. I love cats, I feel I did way more than a lot of people would've done and I will be caring for 2 kittens until they find acceptable homes. Unfortunately, the longer I have them, the more attatched I get!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a backlash - what's done is done. We were just saying that its better to keep everyone together for 10-12 weeks minimum. Since the kittens at least had a sibling, it probably was not as bad as placing them as single kittens separated from mom and other siblings.

I'm just thinking from my own rex kittens - they were no where near ready to be placed in anyone's home no matter how "good" those people would be at 8-10 weeks old. They were very much immature at that point in time. My rexes were placed in homes at 4-5 months old - some a little older but minimum of 4 months.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took in a stray a year ago and she had 8 kittens, so I know how it is! I would say that at about this age I was letting the kittens the free run of the house. If your resident cats are males you just might want to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get too rough. I kept one kitten out of that litter and he nursed on and off for over 5 months, even after momma had bowel obstruction surgery and was then spayed a few weeks later. (I don't think he got much milk, but I don't think that was the main reason he did it.
)

So, I would let them together, watching the other cats, and maybe distracting Veruca with a little treat or some special playing while the kittens are getting to know the resident cats. She'll also be more mellow when she's spayed. Thanks for taking in this needy momma!