ferals and playing

twinka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had heard that truely feral cats would not play with toys because they were not exposed to them as kittens. However, the mom-cat we have is very playful, though she still will not allow us to touch her
. She plays with the fake mice, the feather, and the lazer pointer. She also plays with her son that we kept. Does this mean she is not truely "feral"?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Twinka

I had heard that truely feral cats would not play with toys because they were not exposed to them as kittens. However, the mom-cat we have is very playful, though she still will not allow us to touch her
. She plays with the fake mice, the feather, and the lazer pointer. She also plays with her son that we kept. Does this mean she is not truely "feral"?
It depends. How long have you had her? If you've had her for a few months, it is possible that she would start playing with toys. It's also possible that she is a stray.

Either way, it's great that you rescued her!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ferals don't know what play is, but they learn it or figure it out with time.

If your feral mom is playing, it means she has switched out of or has begun to switch out of "survival" mode.

If it's been a couple of weeks, then she was probably a stray, but there's no real way to know.

I agree with clixpix - either way - it's great that you rescued her!