Rescued older tom cat will nutering change him?

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello

Recently we took in a stray tom cat however you sprayed all over the the room we let him in! SO now today we took him to the vet to get him his shots inspection nuter and everything. The vets are going to hold on to him for a few days. What are te chances he will of calmed down and be a differant cat when he comes back? ITs just he was so wild and would CONSTANTLY moew and howl and spray etc... ALso will that prevent him from wanting to run off outside?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

Hello

Recently we took in a stray tom cat however you sprayed all over the the room we let him in! SO now today we took him to the vet to get him his shots inspection nuter and everything. The vets are going to hold on to him for a few days. What are te chances he will of calmed down and be a differant cat when he comes back? ITs just he was so wild and would CONSTANTLY moew and howl and spray etc... ALso will that prevent him from wanting to run off outside?
It's good you took this cat in...I have only heard beneficial results from neutering. It may not reduce his desire to go outdoors but it will reduce or even eliminate his spraying.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I seem to get a strange allergic reaction (Nothing serious just a bit if tingling senstaion around the eyes and arms) Could it be because of the spray or urine? Ive slept with a cat on my bed for years and years and not once ever had a problem. But when i go into the room where he sprayed like crazy i start feeling allergic? Common? Or placibo?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I seem to get a strange allergic reaction (Nothing serious just a bit if tingling senstaion around the eyes and arms) Could it be because of the spray or urine? Ive slept with a cat on my bed for years and years and not once ever had a problem. But when i go into the room where he sprayed like crazy i start feeling allergic? Common? Or placibo?
Hard to say...given that he was outdoors...you could be allergic to something he brought INSIDE with him. Probably would be best to use an enzyme cleaner .

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It should change him somewhat, but if he's been a tom for a number of years, it may not be a big change. Also, if he's used to being outside, he still will want out.

I'd teach him to be on a harness or buy a cat enclosure for safe outside time. There is a possiblity that he still may spray too, but it won't be as strong.

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we have a huge fenced in yard so I could easily tie a leash around a tree and let him walk around in the back yard with a harness once hes back here during the day. I am going to clean the room out as best I can before he comes back any good tips you can recc? so he doesnt pee when hes back here?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get Nature's Miricle to clean - do NOT use any cleaner with ammonia in it as it will smell like urine to the cat.Iget

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

we have a huge fenced in yard so I could easily tie a leash around a tree and let him walk around in the back yard with a harness once hes back here during the day.
Cats climb trees, and if he's on a leash when he does and slips off a branch or jumps down the wrong side of one, he could hang himself

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello

THe former tom cat is comming home on friday. I have cleaned aired out the room vaccumed the room sprayed NATURES myricle all OVER the room he is going to be staying in. I Even dusted it! I really hope when he comes back and put into the room he does not spray again. I also hope I am able to turn him into a nice decent house pet but hes been a prowling tom stray cat for so long I dont know if i can even tho hes so friendly and sweet (lets me pick him up pet him) He acts so wild hyper and crazy. Anything else you could reccomend I do to make this work?

HOw long should i wait until I let him see my other cats & let him out of the room? I know my other cats will hate his guts regardless though.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck. I can't give you any advice but I hope it works out for you.

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hello hes at my place now. OMG its like hes not the same cat i adopted? hes so much calmer and more docile no crazyness running around smothering me acting like some sort of wild beast its like hes gone from wild cat to domestic in a matter of week! Lets hope it stays this good lol

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HEy so far he has not sprayed! I have been going in there every day for hours just reading or going on the computer spending time with him & still have not noticed any spraying. Hes still a hyper cat tho but i dont mind as long as he doesnt spray but hes using the litter box fine.

When do you think would be a good time to trust him in the whole house? I was thinking of keeping him in this room locked up for about a week then letting him have free range with the other cats?

It looks like so far so good, a friend of mine told me a stray older tom cat thats lived the streets for a while like him can NEVer be turned into a house pet
& told me the only hope for him would be leaving him on a farm somewhere

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are excellent instructions for socializing cats in various cat books. You can probably also find advice on this forum.

Gradual introductions are the rule. I have heard of cats who got along right away. Most take longer.

Put the other cats in the new cat's room and switch locations for a day or so. Rub your T shirts (clean) on one cat's back and leave it in the other cat's room to get them used to the smell. Always bring treats and toys when you introduce them!

This material is better discussed elsewhere so I hope that you can read up on this before trying it, particularly since as an outdoor cat your boy may be a fighter (you may want to cut everyone's claws before introducing them).

Good luck and congratulations for taking in and neutering this fine boy. He will thank you (all rescued cats are living thank-yous)