Fleas on Newborns and Mom

scoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just picked up a mother and her 5 kittens yesterday who were placed in an animal "drop box" of a shelter by their former owner who was tired of mom getting pregnant all the time. The kittens are only a few days old, eyes not open yet. Mom is absolutely terrified, probably related to everything she has been through! They look healthy, but mom and the kittens all have quite a few fleas. None of my newborns have ever had this many fleas before.

I plan on talking to a vet sometime today. Any other ideas on what is safe? I am a little afraid of giving mom a bath since she is so terrified right now and I don't want to scare her more. I can try to pick some of the fleas off with a comb, but there are quite a few! Mom's hair is dark which also makes it hard. Thanks for any ideas.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by scoomoo

I just picked up a mother and her 5 kittens yesterday who were placed in an animal "drop box" of a shelter by their former owner who was tired of mom getting pregnant all the time. The kittens are only a few days old, eyes not open yet. Mom is absolutely terrified, probably related to everything she has been through! They look healthy, but mom and the kittens all have quite a few fleas. None of my newborns have ever had this many fleas before.

I plan on talking to a vet sometime today. Any other ideas on what is safe? I am a little afraid of giving mom a bath since she is so terrified right now and I don't want to scare her more. I can try to pick some of the fleas off with a comb, but there are quite a few! Mom's hair is dark which also makes it hard. Thanks for any ideas.
What I would do is use the comb and then place the fleas in a bowl of water that has some dawn dishwashing detergent in it. The detergent should help to kill the fleas.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave Capstar and Revolution to mom, per vet's recommendation. However, I can't seem to get the fleas off of the babies. The babies are so small, loud, and squirmy and the fleas are fast. I can't see them run except for when they are on their white bellies. And even then, they are too fast for me! The flea comb is plastic and small and doesn't seem to be doing anything. Any ideas on how to get them off such small babies!?

sapling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any tips appreciated too - I have a bunch of mostly black kittens and I just saw a flea.