sunshines having her babies FINALLY!

darc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I came home from work lookong for the cat and could not find her. She was in bed with my husband. I wanted to see how she was doing so I brought her downstairs. As I was bring her downstains she started to have contractions. I think she was waiting for me. I am still waiting on kitty #1. Feet first not all the way out yet. I have to give Mom her privacy. She was walking through the house so I had to guide her downstairs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten # 1 healthy

darc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten #2 healthy. Mom is doing great 2:22 am. Working on three

darc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten #3 healthy 2:38am. She is popping them out like no tomorrow. She has not bit off the umbilical cord off the third yet. The vet says to wait one to one and half hours before I need to do it. don't know if there are anymore

darc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom is so happy. She is A good mom. I am anxious to see if there are any more. Maybe she is tired and needs a little break.

darc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nope I think three is it, unless she is holding out on me. Mom is doing well. She loves being a mom. She had them behind the couch. When I saw she went back there I pulled the couch out to give her room. Didn't have time to put down anything though. My white carpet is a bloody mess. Oh well, When I put the couch back nobody will even know. Except you guys. Have any ideas on how to get blood stains out. I might just have to use bleach. I'll keep you posted

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Woolite has a special spot cleaner for blood and other bio messes. It works REALLY well.
Congrats on the babies! Can't wait for pics.

darc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
O.k. You remember how I told you Sunshine had them behind the coach? I couldn't leave her there because she was right under a huge window. I didn't want the draft. So I moved her and the babies into a box with nice and soft blankets. I moved the babies first. Mom was a little annoyed. She didn't hiss or scratch but did that little cat growl. I couldn't just let her stay there though. Mom forgave me and now is purring up a storm. She lets me pet her and the babies. I have to figure out how to post pics but as soon as I do You will see some cute little kittys.

darc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yep done at 3. She is very good about letting me pick up the kittys. I don't do it a lot though. She trusts me completely. We have a dog who is curious. He just smells her and them. She does not seem to mind. She lets him do it. I think she does because they are best buds. They would constantly play together until she got pregnant. I still keep an eye on him though. I make sure I give him extra attention so he does not feel negleted. i do have a delima though. Her liter box was kept in the basement and I have not taken it up yet. I don't want it to smell the upstairs. Her box is next to the couch where I keep an eye on her. I keep her food right there though. I have her not seen her go use the liter box. So I am washing her blankets to keep the area clean. Any suggestions? She is a good mom and I am very proud of her. Her babies are very unique looking (I think). They are all black except for some brown markings. How long to you keep the kittens before you give them away? I hear 6-8 weeks. My vet says the longer the better. So I am figuring 8 weeks. Sound about right?

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the babies! I think ideally it's about 8-12 weeks to find new homes from what I've read. We got our new baby at just 8 week's to make sure he was fully weaned and using the litter box well.

Edited to add: Do make sure you watch the interaction with the dog and the new kit's. I've heard a ton of stories about dog's trying to be helpful, and thing's not ending well.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the 3 newborns!!

Breeders usually let their kittens go home between 12-16 weeks. Shelters are usually 8-10 weeks (not completely sure?). If I were in your shoes I would at least try to keep them until 10 weeks. This gives them that extra time they need for mom to socialize them about playing to hard and such. My kittens will go home probably around 12 weeks.

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new babies! I was looking in the paper and couldn't believe there were some advertised at 5 weeks old!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with keeping the dog away for now.... additionally you need to bring her litter box up so she will have all her needs close to her. She will be uncomfortable traveling a long distance a way from her kittens to potty and may wind up doing it somewhere you dont want her to. Then it will really smell. Just for a week or so, and just keep it scooped out and it should eliminate any temporary smell issues.

Congrats on your new babies !!!!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TiffanyL

Congrats on your new babies! I was looking in the paper and couldn't believe there were some advertised at 5 weeks old!!
5 weeks is way too young. Their mom has a lot of things to teach them as well as them having optimal nutrition. The longer the more socialized and healthy.