Cat & Dandruff?

lola_r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone I am new to this Forum hope anyone can help me. My cat 2½ years old has white flakes one her back about 2 months ago. What should I do? Can I use a common(human) dandruff shampoo or any conditioner? My Vet recommend a vitamin that might help...Thanks in advance.

I like this Forum so far I found it today looking info. about this problem without success.

Lola

rumpleteazer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome!

One thing, I have been told by my vet to NEVER EVER EVER use a human shampoo on an animal. There can be stuff that's very bad for them in there.

Nutritional deficiency can cause skin problems, but my vet told me that dandruff is an early sign of dehydration. So you might watch their water dish to be sure they're drinking from it. If there's something they don't like about it, they might not be getting enough water. Ceramic dishes are good for cats cause plastic can take on odors that we can smell.

And some cats are prone to dry flaky skin, just like people. We used to have a cat that had chronic skin problems and our vet gave us a med to help keep it under control Your vet can definatly provide the best treatment options.

Don't know if that helps. Hope so!

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
try an allergy diet, hills and royal canin both offer one. feed for two months see if it clears up and then slowly introduce new things into the diet. could also be house mites you can get sprays to treat your house and then make sure your cat has personal protection with advocate or revolution.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lola_r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot guys for the replies! I think might be the diet, right now she is eating dry food and maybe she needs some supplement on her diet b/c i am sure that she is drinking enough water so...i'll bring her to the Vet by the weekend hope there is something to help her. Thanks again!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vets do not have a lot of knowledge about food so I would be wary of advice from most vets on food and nutrition. But you may not need to suppliment anything. What brand are you feeding? That can make a significant difference right there. You can offer your cat wet food mixed with warm water for an increase in water.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Vets do not have a lot of knowledge about food so I would be wary of advice from most vets on food and nutrition. But you may not need to suppliment anything. What brand are you feeding? That can make a significant difference right there. You can offer your cat wet food mixed with warm water for an increase in water.
Same of above... also are you giving wet food???

Dont use anything NOT LABELED for cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lola_r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sharky;1297078 said:

[/

Hi Jen & sharky, Thanks for the replies.. I am using Iams adult original with chicken She's been eating the same food all her life
2½ years. She likes it a lot and i haven't seen any health problem until now that she is having these "white flakes" over her back so I know its dry skin i would like to do something but what? The foods bag says its 100% complete & balanced nutrition the company recommended NO to add any supplement or vitamin b/c its complete for maintenance. I have 3 kids of my own(11,9 &6) but that cat is our baby.....
She drinks water, I comb her every day so what next? Comments? Thanks! Great Forum Love it!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lola_R;1297511 said:
Originally Posted by sharky

[/

Hi Jen & sharky, Thanks for the replies.. I am using Iams adult original with chicken She's been eating the same food all her life
2½ years. She likes it a lot and i haven't seen any health problem until now that she is having these "white flakes" over her back so I know its dry skin i would like to do something but what? The foods bag says its 100% complete & balanced nutrition the company recommended NO to add any supplement or vitamin b/c its complete for maintenance. I have 3 kids of my own(11,9 &6) but that cat is our baby.....
She drinks water, I comb her every day so what next? Comments? Thanks! Great Forum Love it!!
100 % complete and balenced is only saying that all essential things for survival are in there .... First I would suggest a quick vet check just to rule out major issues... then if nothing s found add some fish oil to her diet ... Iams is not a horrible food but it is not very good either

smokiethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have only one little warning with fish oil, I bought some fish oil pills,cut the gel,and squeezed it onto their dry food...it gave them the "squirts" big time. Is there fish oil specifically for cats that won't do this?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by smokiethecat

I have only one little warning with fish oil, I bought some fish oil pills,cut the gel,and squeezed it onto their dry food...it gave them the "squirts" big time. Is there fish oil specifically for cats that won't do this?
It may have been too much for them, especially if they weren't used to it. I would introduce it gradually, maybe just one drop per cat at first.

As far as I know, the only difference between cat and human fish oil supplements is that the ones labeled for cats are overpriced.

rumpleteazer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momto3cats

As far as I know, the only difference between cat and human fish oil supplements is that the ones labeled for cats are overpriced.
It does seem like that sometimes!

Any luck with the dandruff problem yet?