Microchip needle

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
(mods sorry if this should be in another forum, please feel free to move
)

Sleeves has his first yearly check up tomorrow and along with his boosters I thought it would be best to get my boy chipped. I didn't think twice about this until chatting to my sister a few minutes ago and she said they use a BIG needle for that and it will really hurt him? Is this true?

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pombina

(mods sorry if this should be in another forum, please feel free to move
)

Sleeves has his first yearly check up tomorrow and along with his boosters I thought it would be best to get my boy chipped. I didn't think twice about this until chatting to my sister a few minutes ago and she said they use a BIG needle for that and it will really hurt him? Is this true?
That was my concern about getting Dori micrichipped. I searched through it here on the site and found that the needle is large, but some of our member's cats don't even flinch when the needle goes in. Brave kitties they are

I think Sleeves will come through wonderfully

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou Tanya
I can't quite predict how Sleeves will take it...he can be a bit of a sensitive soul at times
Better to get it done though I suppose than not and for something to happen...

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The needle is quite big, both Tippy and Felicity had it done at 12 weeks, I was in the room with them and although they flinched a bit, just like they do when they have their shots, it was nothing more than that. Addie had it done when she was being spayed. Tolstoy will be chipped when he goes for his shots later in the year.

When Lily had it done, her yowls emptied the waiting room I think, but then she yells halfway across the neighbourhood when she has her nails clipped, she really is a drama queen.

Microchipping is so great, if your kitty gets out/lost then all our vets are equipped with the scanners and there can be no dispute over whether the cat found is your cat.

I know it's worrying, but really, I'm sure kitty will be fine

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
stoli goes in for his chip friday. . . .he'll be fine.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PEbbles was fine with the needle, but did bite the vet nurse when she pressed the trigger. Ginger and Molly were actually done at a pet shop, and it looked completely different - they were both fine with it, and I didn't expect Molly to be, as she can be a temperamental cat. I do think the benefits outweigh any slight prob though.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The needle is huge. You may as well prepare yourself for that, but expect to be shocked anyway.

One of my cats did react a bit more than usual, but she is a cranky kitty and every vet visit is an occassion for a visit from the moody fairy. The other three, including the one I was *really* worried about, were fine. The one I was extra worried about wasn't fazed at all.

hdizzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My foster kittens had it done at 8 weeks, the shelter did it while they were under from getting fixed. I'm glad I didn't have to see that big 'ol needle for myself!

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So by the sounds of things, the needle is big but it depends on the cat as to whether they react or not. Well we'll just have to distract him for a second as best we can.
Quite interesting to hear that the cats you expected to react didn't though..!

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The needle is huge! But ever grumpy Mav (who the vets have named hissing Sid as she wont even tolerate them looking at her) didnt even flinch.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others it is a big needle
but it is only once and for their own good. My younger two were done when they were kittens and didn't seem to mind too much. Good luck.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if they're really small they can have scaring but the needle is quick if done properly fairly painless. we have more crying from bloodwork than from microchipping. best to get it done when they get spayed/neutered so they are sleeping and can't feel it!

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Curious when will you be getting Sleeves fixed? If its soon you can wait and do it than, Kirra was chipped while under the anastisia for her spay, they like to do it that way at the clinic she went to, easier on the cat. Just a thought.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dexter & Sadie were chipped when they were 5 years old.
Although the needle looked huge, they did not flinch.

You have made the right choice to get Sleeves protected by being microchiped.

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All three of ours have been chipped. Pru while she was sedated for other stuff and the other two at a regular visit. It is a big needle, but Sleeves should do fine, it's over in a flash. Make sure they have the reader there to check that the chip is in him and not on the table, believe it or not that can happen. Good luck and stiff upper lip, Sleeves old boy!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver got chipped this summer... the needle is big: the chip is the size of a grain of rice and must be able to fit through the needle, so think of it that way... Oliver didn't move a muscle.... even if it does hurt them a little, it's only once and kitties won't hate you forever (at the most, just until the next feeding time, haha
).... good decision to do it, you'll feel more at ease in general!

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Napolean had his done when he got neutered. Ironically he bled when he got his rabies vaccine, but not when he got chipped!

They do use a large needle, I think 16 gauge or something. It only takes a split second, your cat will tolerate it or he won't. Either way he'll get over it, it isn't that big of a deal, and the benefits of microchipping far outweigh the 5 seconds of discomfort.

Some animals react, some don't. We had to microchip a tiny Cairn terrier puppy, he didn't bat an eye. We microchipped a big german shepherd today and she screamed and wigged out. Most cats don't move [too freaked in a scary vet clinic!] but some will react. If you don't want to watch I'm sure the tehnicians will understand and let you leave the room. Most likely in any case someone will scruff your cat, so he can't hurt himself or anyone else and another person will chip him. It's quite easy and quick, and he shouldn't be too discomforted.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Malikitty

Curious when will you be getting Sleeves fixed?
As Lauren's not around, Sleeves was neutered quite a long time ago!

Annie was chipped last week while getting her initial vaccs. The needle is pretty large, but the scruff where they put it doesn't have as much feeling as the rest of the body!

Annie was pretty good about it, but did make an attempt to bite the vet!

Hope all goes well for you and Sleeves today!

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Malikitty

Curious when will you be getting Sleeves fixed? If its soon you can wait and do it than, Kirra was chipped while under the anastisia for her spay, they like to do it that way at the clinic she went to, easier on the cat. Just a thought.
Sleeves has been fixed since he was 6 months old.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I'll stay in the room but will have to turn away like I do with every shot they've ever had
Mark will be there too so he can hold him and make sure he's ok. Just want to get it over with now. I really should have had them both done while they were under for their spays/neuters but didn't think about it
Typical..

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just back and my brave boy didn't even flinch!

I'm glad to report that he's healthy if a little overweight at 5kg, she said he should be about 4.5kgs. Oh well!
Glad thats over with now, plus my purse is quite a bit lighter